The impossible mix: Best flashlight for my flightbag

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac EDC120P has a low low, and can be easily programmed to always come on in low - can also click,press to go straight to high when needed.

the Surefire T1A is a bit pricey, but has a super low (like comfortable to look right at the LED with dark adapted eyes) and goes up to a very floody 70 lumen max, Always comes on at min, and you wind it up to max.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALL the lights Quark series regular does what you want. If you want momentary, you can buy the forward clickie cap.
It ranges from $57 to $69 shipped. (there's also a 8% discount)
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297&osCsid=8f18917def94bc1a3a3a812a1f44f77e

Your 'impossible' equals flashaholic's every day light, should do some more readings buddy.
Basic requirements:

• Very low (<1 lumen) mode
  • No stupid UI that requires you activates higher modes first before low
  • Easy change from lower modes to higher modes and back
  • Way to assure a start in lowest mode.
  • Some mode in the 100+ lumen range with modes in between.
  • Clicky design a plus; momentary a plus.

Other thoughts:
  • Looking for white, not red.
  • Already have a photon microlight III that I keep clipped to my headset cord, but half the time I go to use it it seems the batteries are dead.
  • I carry 123's and AAs in my flightbag already, so battery type not critical (123's kinda preferred).
  • At $100+ an hour for gas and plane, flashlights in the $100+ range are acceptable.
  • Open to thoughts on R2 vs R5 emitters

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark 123 or 123-2 seems to be the best option. nice that you are not restricted to alkalines.

im an A&P mechanic, and my quark 123-2 tactical R5 is my best light for the job. i work the night shift, and with B747 and 777. the quark R5 has a wide hotspot and spill that makes my walkarounds more thorough, quick and easy. and i can easily reach up to the vertical stabilizer so its throw is good enough. i also use it on max most the time, and set the other mode to medium.

for you, ill recommend the regular (non-tactical version) quark 123. start off with max with head tighten, or start with moonlight mode with head loosened (0.2 lumens) and can increase output by tapping the swtich. as long as the head is not tightened, moonlight mode will always come on first. this light is great for walkarounds, it will light up an entire side of the fuselage with its wide beam.

the quark R2 emitter version is more throwy, but alittle less bright overall. and its cheaper in price.

EV_007

Enlightened
Classic SureFire Aviator with the regulated incan with the Yellow-Green LEDs.

Although any, variable output warm LED should suffice as well.

random78

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Quark 123^2, though they are low on quantity and it might be backordered... With the snow we've been getting though, I don't think I'll be going to dig the plane out anytime soon.

Went with the ^2 as it'll be a little extra umph over what I currently have, plus longer runtime.

Might still pick up an RA clicky. :whistle:

random78

Newly Enlightened
I fly with a black diamond headlght (AA). Similar to this one...

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Black-Diamond-Icon-Headlamp/BLD1034M.html

The one I have has both 5mm LEDs and a 1 watt luxeon. The 5mm have low, med, and high. The Luxeon is more of a spot light that is good for preflight and looking in the cowling. It also has hi, med and low modes.

I have a petzel 4x5mm headlight as a backup light source. This has 5mm leds in it with a retractable string like headband.

In the cockpit keeping ur hands free is a good thing, especially if you have an electrical/alternator failure at night.

Bud

That Icon headlamp sounds way bright. How much light would you say low throws out on low?

One thing my photon microlight has been good for is general utility in the cockpit. With an articulating clip, a rubber band, and headset cord clip, I can put the thing anywhere and make it shine on anything. I had it clipped to the passenger seat visor pointing down for charts-n-such when the overhead map light was OTS. Heck, I could even clip it to my eyeglass frames for use as a head light come to think of it...

Which reminds me, I need to change the batteries in the thing. :)