The Malkoff Front Porch

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to guess I would think that the XT's use of an optic is more about durability than anything. While optics may not be inherently stronger than a reflector setup, that big acrylic lens is a massive weakspot in a few respects.

FTFY

Those acrylic lenses seem pretty tough to me. Usually the use of an optic is either to achieve a certain beam profile and/or to improve on OTF lumens efficiency over a reflector.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to tell isn't it? Gene must use a very high quality coating on the lenses. I'll take an acrylic lens of this quality over glass any day, especially on a tough-as-nails Malkoff.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a CR123 that wouldn't light anymore in the car flashlight, so, out of curiosity, I put it in my light with the M31LL (50L, 219B emitter) and it fired right up. No dimming at all that I can determine. Now I'm wondering if I've been recycling my batteries too soon...

StagMoose

Enlightened
E2 Super Scout is back for all those who are into that kind of thing. I have the E1HT and E2HT. Great heads, but they serve specific roles. I tried carrying one on the LX2 but its just too throwy and no spill for EDC, for me. Looking forward to the Super Scout as more of an EDC for my LX2. Been waiting for this to come back and just so happens there are 26 more available! Seems the lumens have been upped a bit and is using an XP-L, still 12k lux.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
what would be more EDC'able then between an M61T and M61HOT with the new Osram?

E2 Super Scout is back for all those who are into that kind of thing. I have the E1HT and E2HT. Great heads, but they serve specific roles. I tried carrying one on the LX2 but its just too throwy and no spill for EDC, for me. Looking forward to the Super Scout as more of an EDC for my LX2. Been waiting for this to come back and just so happens there are 26 more available! Seems the lumens have been upped a bit and is using an XP-L, still 12k lux.

StagMoose

Enlightened
The M61T and M61HOT are the same size, so for EDC pick one. I don't have a T, but do have the M61HOT.

There is no Osram M61HOT, so it is really pure speculation if you attempt to describe it. If it were to happen we would need to see the beam profile before making any determinations.

I find the M61HOT superb for EDC as it provides much better throw than any other M61 module I have tried along with reasonable and useable spill. It isn't a pure thrower, but throws useable light out to about 100yds max in my testing.

Regarding the E-Series lights, they are primarily designed for WML use. The HT versions throw very well for their size but have minimal useable spill and a much smaller hotspot. For EDC the HT versions were not incredibly useful, but could be used if you were inclined to really be carrying a thrower and rarely used it up close.

If you have seen an M91T, the M61HOT is identical in beam profile. They have the same amount of throw in my testing but the 91T offers a bit more lumens in the entire beam making it a little brighter/ fuller beam.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
what would be more EDC'able then between an M61T and M61HOT with the new Osram?

The M61T is a more versatile dropin voltage-wise (61HOT is only 3-6V****) and the lower pushed output means it will also run longer than the 61HOT. I would pick that for an EDC light, anything with these Osrams is going to kick some candela! So the 40%~ gain isn't as worth it day-to-day as good runtimes would.

Last edited:

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks DOT!.

The M61T is a more versatile dropin voltage-wise (61HOT is only 3-4.2V) and the lower pushed output means it will also run longer than the 61HOT. I would pick that for an EDC light, anything with these Osrams is going to kick some candela! So the 40%~ gain isn't as worth it day-to-day as good runtimes would.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Where is all this information coming from? Is the New HOT officially a 4.2v max?

The current HOT and HD XT are 6v max. I'd assume the new HOT would allow for use of 2 primaries.

I feel like I'm missing something here or maybe you all just have some inside info I don't.

Either way, I'd like to know as I am highly anticipating these rumored lights. Although some discussion seems to indicate they aren't rumored. So, what is the deal here?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The M61 HOT is good up to 6 volts. However I think it pulls more then the standard 1.5 A that people freak out about. So it's advised not to run 123's