The Malkoff Front Porch

StagMoose

Enlightened
Any way it could have come on in your bag?

I had a hound dog in a bag when I was packing up. Noticed light coming out of the bottom of the bag and took it out. It was too hot to hold. It had a melted lens.

I'm guessing it came on in your pack and due to the enclosed environment you toasted it.

jrgold

Enlightened
Any way it could have come on in your bag?

I had a hound dog in a bag when I was packing up. Noticed light coming out of the bottom of the bag and took it out. It was too hot to hold. It had a melted lens.

I'm guessing it came on in your pack and due to the enclosed environment you toasted it.

that's a possibility but i always loosen up the head and tail before i put it in so if it comes on it's on low. I guess i could have forgot this time, I'll check my bag to see if anything else looks toasted lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrgold

Enlightened
nothing else toasted, but that's probably what happened. Any tips for securing a light in a pack that doesn't mechanically lock out? I'm using an md4 and tricap with it

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Did you check batteries when you took them out? I'm betting there dead. Light must of turned on somehow. Always loosen tailcap or remove batteries when you throw a light in a bag.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Should be. I did on mine and came back to it being on. Lucky I didn't catch my house on fire or have a battery explode. Sometimes they just turn a bit. Since that incident I've removed batteries unless the light is on the outside of the pack. Super close call.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol can't lock out Malkoffs. Duh! What was I thinking? Good song btw😁 oh boy getting tired.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I think with the bumper o-rings you can kinda lock it out. But then they slip and the battery makes contact, so you can't really lock them out. That was the issue with mine anyway as I later diagnosed it. Certainly taking batteries out for in-bag travel moving forward. Really had a close call.

jrgold

Enlightened
luckily i was using protected batteries at the time. The protection circuit tripped on one of them and my charger isn't recognizing it (vp4+ dragon). Won't show up on a multimeter either. Should i just recycle that cell?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Dom't toss it, these protected cells can be turned on with a charger that can bring them to really usuable life. Just like new.

Bill

thermal guy

Flashaholic
luckily i was using protected batteries at the time. The protection circuit tripped on one of them and my charger isn't recognizing it (vp4+ dragon). Won't show up on a multimeter either. Should i just recycle that cell?

I have a charger that has a settings to bring a cell back if it was discharged to low. Yours might have that as well. Mine is a Nitecore I4 I think. You hold both buttons in and it will bring a cell back.

That light had to hit 180* or better. Can't believe it didn't melt or catch anything on fire in your pack.
When I play with my wildcats I can't believe how hot my V6 gets. My V7 does get hot but not any where near as hot or as quick.No doubt if this happened with that It would of been bad.

Last edited: