The Malkoff Front Porch

md17

Newly Enlightened
they draw 1400ma according to the official specifications and if I remember correctly we measured somewhere around that while testing, so li-ions should be able to handle that and more, easily
Ok. So the Icr16340 from Keeppower have a max discharge current of 2c, meaning 1600ma. Is that correct? Still not great at the numbers thing

fulee9999

Enlightened
Ok. So the Icr16340 from Keeppower have a max discharge current of 2c, meaning 1600ma. Is that correct? Still not great at the numbers thing

that's a protected cell, if you try to do something silly, like overdraw or overcharge it will just shut down. Come to think of it I had my M91 sometimes cut out on the 2x18500 configuration, that's why I went back to 3xCR123 configuration on that one... Which is, by the way, the more dangerous solution as that way I'm circumventing the protection circuit by using a battery without them, but still, it was designed for that setup and worked reliably for the past few years, so no worries there.
An alternative would be to use some good quality unprotected 16340 li-ions, that way you'd never hit the protection circuit, while still somewhere inside the maximum load. ( also that way you'd need to watch for your cell charge, to don't go under 2.4V / battery ).

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to give these LF bodies a shot. I have an MDC v2 but just not a fan of the texturing on the malkoff bodies, would prefer knurling like that.
Thanx for the idea. That might save me the hassle of selling my mint MD2 setup, because I simply cannot use it as is. I've never even carried it. I was a DA. In retrospect, the problem was pretty obvious in the photos. I just couldn't believe it could be as bad as it is turned out to be in the flesh given the source (and frankly still can't). Live and learn. If you go the LF route, let us know what you get and how it works out. In the mean time, I'll check the web site. I'm in it with 2 (nice) drop-ins too, so it could still be worth trashing / writing off the stock body, and a new body might provide a (somewhat) decent end to the story of my stupid mistake.

EDIT: .....and no, I'm not interested in some kluge workaround attempt to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then, I think I have found the one. Now if there was a way to get that output (950 lumens 8500 lux) in an md2 size, that would be perfect.
Why not just get the (Wildcat) 18650 version?

md17

Newly Enlightened
Why not just get the (Wildcat) 18650 version?
Aha. The lumen specs are about the same as the m91 however, with slightly less lux, so I guess the only advantage would be shorter body, but a wider head. So it would be trading one thing for another I guess.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha. The lumen specs are about the same as the m91 however, with slightly less lux, so I guess the only advantage would be shorter body, but a wider head. So it would be trading one thing for another I guess.
When you said you've found the one I thought you meant the Wildcat.

Yeah, they're different beasts comparing the M91 and Wildcat. Different again when you compare the Wildcat with the diffuser removed.

fulee9999

Enlightened

if you want more lux, you can get the E2XT and a 16650 or 18650 body for it

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thermal guy posted some pics of his Wildcat with and without the diffuser.

From memory it's about 30K cd with a big hot spot.

md17

Newly Enlightened
When you said you've found the one I thought you meant the Wildcat.

Yeah, they're different beasts comparing the M91 and Wildcat. Different again when you compare the Wildcat with the diffuser removed.
I also have a hound dog xpl and I don't know how much different the wildcat with filter removed would be from the hound dog with a 5 degree filter

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a hound dog xpl and I don't know how much different the wildcat with filter removed would be from the hound dog with a 5 degree filter
There's some good descriptions, photos, and comparisons (Wildcat and Hound dog XPL with different filter combinations) in the New Wildcat vs the V6 Wildcat differences thread.

Here what I'm carrying today. Not a Malkoff but an excellent setup with an EDC2-DFT head on an 18350 Modlite body.

IMG_2248.jpeg