The Malkoff Front Porch

md17

Newly Enlightened
they draw 1400ma according to the official specifications and if I remember correctly we measured somewhere around that while testing, so li-ions should be able to handle that and more, easily
So I got 28 minutes of runtime on the m91 with 2- 16340. Have you seen any spacers that would work in an md2?

fulee9999

Enlightened
So I got 28 minutes of runtime on the m91 with 2- 16340. Have you seen any spacers that would work in an md2?

most 18650 dellrin sleeves should work, but if you want to go really thin, you could try the Malkoff VME head with the 16650 body to make it as sleek and stable as possible.

( edit: I just realized the M91 is fatbody like the T-series, so won't fit the VME head, so scratch that part )

Last edited:

md17

Newly Enlightened
most 18650 dellrin sleeves should work, but if you want to go really thin, you could try the Malkoff VME head with the 16650 body to make it as sleek and stable as possible.

( edit: I just realized the M91 is fatbody like the T-series, so won't fit the VME head, so scratch that part )
So Oveready doesn't have any cr123 spacers in stock, but for the price of a gallon of milk, I made this out of milk jug…. IMG_5934.jpeg

fulee9999

Enlightened
So Oveready doesn't have any cr123 spacers in stock, but for the price of a gallon of milk, I made this out of milk jug….View attachment 56040

inventive :D the OR one was the only one I had that didn't suck, all others - including the Fenix one - did basically nothing. However, I see there's a LumensFactory one, I'd give that a try, they usually match the original manufacturers in quality and design.

md17

Newly Enlightened
inventive :D the OR one was the only one I had that didn't suck, all others - including the Fenix one - did basically nothing. However, I see there's a LumensFactory one, I'd give that a try, they usually match the original manufacturers in quality and design.
If it wasn't for the 17.50 shipping I'd give it a shot.

md17

Newly Enlightened

I don't think they are fat body. I just put an m91bn in a 6p without an issue. It is definitely not as big as the m61 hot I have.

fulee9999

Enlightened
yep, you guys are correct, somehow I misremembered the M91 size, probably just confused it with the M91T, but the normal M91 fits perfectly into a VME head!

1705485607207.png

So here's how it would look like, if you were to put a M91 into a VME head and onto a 16650 body, next to an MD2:

1705485673712.png

Impressive little beast I must say.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
You might have been thinking of the M91T? I think the TIR Malkoffs have a different set of dimensions than the reflector ones which affects their fitment in p60 heads.

EDIT: I realize you said exactly that in your post and I just repeated you like a goof. Gotta stop posting in my lunch break. Oh well, posting a pic of my MD1, DPC leggo to make the most of this post.

Attachments

• image_50369793.JPG
    image_50369793.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
You might have been thinking of the M91T? I think the TIR Malkoffs have a different set of dimensions than the reflector ones which affects their fitment in p60 heads.

EDIT: I realize you said exactly that in your post and I just repeated you like a goof. Gotta stop posting in my lunch break. Oh well, posting a pic of my MD1, DPC leggo to make the most of this post.
yeah no worries, as you can clearly see by my previous posts I have changed my mind on this simple topic a few times already by the time I actually took the time to throw the setup in question together :D

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Are there any protected 18350 that will fit in an Md2?

For the MD2 only a pair of flat top IMR 18350 cells will fit, and that's ONLY with a Malkoff tailcap.

A M91B or T can be fully powered, the main issue is over-discharge as a M91B/T will show little dimming @ 5V at which point the cells are on the brink of over discharge (2.5V each).

The updated MDC XP-L (800 lumen version) on high with a single 18650 is really the equal of the M91B on two cells that can be Lego-ed in a lighter, easier to carry package;

mdcxpl-18650-3.jpg

mdcxpl-18650-1.jpg

md17

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I am just going to stick with 2-16340 with a spacer then. 30 minutes on high and no concerns of over discharge and I don't need an extender.

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
Those are really interesting setups I hadn't considered in an MD2 body. Is there a performance advantage to using a M91B or T in a MD2 with a pair of 18350s or 16340s over a M61HOTV2 with an 18650?

md17

Newly Enlightened
Those are really interesting setups I hadn't considered in an MD2 body. Is there a performance advantage to using a M91B or T in a MD2 with a pair of 18350s or 16340s over a M61HOTV2 with an 18650?
M91b is definitely flood vs the throw of m61HOTv2

If you run the m91b on 1 cell, you won't get full output, whereas you will get full output with m61.

I would say an advantage of running an m61hot with 2 cells is a brighter low mode.

It is unfortunate that I can't get 2 protected 18350 in an Md2 for the m91b, but the run time only seems to be about a 10 minute difference from what I found on some runtime graphs, so it really is not that much different. I also don't have a taper with the 16340, it just shuts off, which I am ok with.

M61 hot on right
M91BN on left

IMG_5981.jpeg

intake_monk

Newly Enlightened
M91b is definitely flood vs the throw of m61HOTv2

If you run the m91b on 1 cell, you won't get full output, whereas you will get full output with m61.

I would say an advantage of running an m61hot with 2 cells is a brighter low mode.

It is unfortunate that I can't get 2 protected 18350 in an Md2 for the m91b, but the run time only seems to be about a 10 minute difference from what I found on some runtime graphs, so it really is not that much different. I also don't have a taper with the 16340, it just shuts off, which I am ok with.

M61 hot on right
M91BN on left

View attachment 56265
Gotcha, I hadn't considered use case categories and was just thinking a straight performance comparison. But I can see the M91B would absolutely outperform the M61SHO, and also being able to get it in neutral tints is probably great. The more I see the SHO's tint the angrier I get, IT'S SO GREEN. The HOTv2 and the M91T differences kind of seem like a tossup, I'd actually be curious to see a break down of the two. They have the same emitter from what I can tell, and on paper have similar performances.

I wonder if one of these would permit the Protected 18350s to fit?

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-devices-md-body-extender-kit

md17

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha, I hadn't considered use case categories and was just thinking a straight performance comparison. But I can see the M91B would absolutely outperform the M61SHO, and also being able to get it in neutral tints is probably great. The more I see the SHO's tint the angrier I get, IT'S SO GREEN. The HOTv2 and the M91T differences kind of seem like a tossup, I'd actually be curious to see a break down of the two. They have the same emitter from what I can tell, and on paper have similar performances.

I wonder if one of these would permit the Protected 18350s to fit?

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-devices-md-body-extender-kit
I tried every configuration with the extender kits. It just does not work without crushing the springs too much.

I don't know anything about the m91t, but I'd say if you had that, you wouldn't need the m61hot vice versa.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Oveready doesn't have any cr123 spacers in stock, but for the price of a gallon of milk, I made this out of milk jug….View attachment 56040

In a 9P/MD3 setup, what makes great spacers are currency. Just roll up enough for a great fit. The really great benefit is that it's a spare place to carry emergency funds. Especially in a travel context.

Got this 9P, stuck a M61LLL 219 in it and a single rolled up FRN, perfect fit. Without it, 3x123s are loose.

Latest posts