The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a MD2 head and noticed the small window reduces the quality of the M61 beam pattern. Does the head with the larger opening do the same?

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I recently got a MD2 head and noticed the small window reduces the quality of the M61 beam pattern. Does the head with the larger opening do the same?
The difference between the MD2 bezel and a Surefire C-series bezel is a slightly reduced spill. The MD2 is badass compared to the Surefires though.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering lately about the small window on the MD2 head, so this topic's timing is funny for me.

Unrelated (but couldn't have been timed better if I had planned it), I just got to take one of my MD2s out for a walk last night and am very happy to report that its beam is truly excellent, and I find no issue at all with the spill. So while I may do a side-by-side comparison down the road with identical dropins between an MD2 and a big-windowed Surefire 6P Original, I can rest easy knowing that regardless of what I find, the Malkoff head is certainly not lacking in the meantime.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I guess I might be in the minority, but I prefer the beam from reflectored Malkoff drop ins in Surefire heads you definitely get a little more spill. My non flood M60s don't seem to have as much of a difference. The high/low of the MD series and stock click tailcaps are why I bought the MD2/3/4s that I have.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a distance of 12 feet, the Z44 delivers 16 additional inches of spill diameter....8" on each side. It also shows the installation notches of the stock bezel ring at the edge, which some here abhor. I prefer the softer, less sharply defined outer edge created by the MD2.

I will happily give up those 16" for the MD series' shrouded McClicky switch tail cap and high/low ring; features that can be added to the Surefire, but at additional cost/effort.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61 in a MDX-22.3 head gives spill roughly equal to the Z44. If you call Gene and ask nicely, you may be able to convince him to sell you an empty 22.3 head.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a 6P and an MD2 back-to-back on the same walking path last night; there's a definite difference in that the 6P has way more spill, but when you're using the MD2 you do not miss it.

So, so long as you can make your peace with the fact that you're "giving up" spill/lumens, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the MD2's small window.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wildcat V5 Neutrals are in stock, three at the moment; I genuinely thought they'd sell out in an hour or two.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw 4 yesterday morning...guess you made it 3.

I just acquired an M31L for a 2aa Rayovac light to coincide with the M31 and must say the L is pretty impressive compared to the regular one.

I actually double checked the module to ensure he'd inscribed an L onto it as the difference in output is that close.

Next will be an M31W.

Status
Not open for further replies.