The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Only thing is I have a 91B think it's putting out much more then the 91A. But great idea I'll have to borrow one from work and try that out. Thanks

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I wouldn't have the least bit concern on the M91B thru lexan; maybe just make sure you don't do a full run w/ the bezel down on a hard surface, that sort of thing. I just cant imagine it would dump nearly as much heat thru the lens compared to the P90 incan LA. In fact, permit me to make an offer to TG - since M91's are my favorite Malkoffs, if for some odd reason he melts/distorts his lexan lens with the M91B I will mail him a NOS SF Z17 lexan lens kit free of charge. ;)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
A generous offer. But if you believe I will be ok with the M91B with the lexan head that's good enough for me. Thanks 😁

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A generous offer. But if you believe I will be ok with the M91B with the lexan head that's good enough for me. Thanks 😁
Lol no worries. :)

And here is why I'm comfortable with putting my money where my 'mouth' is; below is a pic of my rather exotic Moddoo direct-drive XP-G triple behind a flawless lexan lens. This ~1500 lm config has done a couple dozen full 30 minute dumps from an AW 2600 - and I guarantee that is way more heat generation than an M91B would do. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlj692esymx9o36/20190519_170426.jpg?dl=0

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2 TRIPLE.jpg

My favourite.
P

PS. Don't forget to order the 22.3 head.

Nice.. what triple are u running in that set-up?

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,...would the normal CREN Bezel on the MD2 still accommodate a triple you think so ?.
thanks. I think I would have to buy the 22.3 head separate.

The 22.3 has a wider opening than the regular one, which is 16.5mm.
That's an Oveready Triad with an OR Clip. The tricap is very nice though, not as heavy as the Triad, plus it's a clicky and I like twisty.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.. what triple are u running in that set-up?
Oveready V4 Triple Nichia 219B HML, and very nice it is too.

Peter,...would the normal CREN Bezel on the MD2 still accommodate a triple you think so ?.
thanks. I think I would have to buy the 22.3 head separate.
The Cren Bezel, as far as I know, only comes with a 16.5mm opening. Although Malkoff don't list it as such, if you order an MD2, just ask them to put a 22.3 head on it rather than the standard one.
I've opened out a couple of 16.5 heads with a Hole Expander with great success.
reamer.jpg

I'd be interested to know if there's enough room on the crenellated head to do the same.
If someone has a pictire of a crenellated head face on it migh t be possible to make a guess.
P

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened
I'm trying to justify getting a Bodyguard V2 18650, since I recently got the Hound Dog 18650. Is there a comparison thread somewhere between the two?

Two very different animals, imho. (I own both.) The BG2 is a great "tactical" light, designed for a high intensity burst lasting several seconds, followed by moderate power which can be used for general purposes.

The HD 18650 is a great all around light for extended use at either the high or low settings. I like to use mine for walks with the dog in our dark, rural, forested environment when I don't wear a dedicated headlamp, or for any purpose requiring a powerful light for either searching or penetrating deep into the woods.

They complement each other nicely, but neither is a substitute for the other in my view. Of course, in a pinch, any Malkoff will do well for most tasks.

My two cents.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
Got a question and this seems like the place to post it.

I have an older MD4 (purchased 22 April 2013). Just purchased new 18650's for it (KeepPower P1835J 18650 3500 mAh--original batteries were purchased with the body and still worked but the button tops had crushed over the years from mis-abuse). Problem is that the new batteries don't fit in the MD4--they are too big in diameter. They do, however, fit in other Malkoff's I have and my BOSS that take 18650's.

Question is how do I open-up the MD4 so these new batteries (that I bought just for this body) fit? I do not have access to a lathe. I do have a drill press but not sure that is the way to go. I thought about making a sandpaper flapper but it seems like more than that needs removed. Maybe talk to my buddy that owns a machine shop? Not really wanting to send the body off but if that's the best option where should I send it?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I have an older MD4 (purchased 22 April 2013). Just purchased new 18650's for it (KeepPower P1835J 18650 3500 mAh--original batteries were purchased with the body and still worked but the button tops had crushed over the years from mis-abuse). Problem is that the new batteries don't fit in the MD4--they are too big in diameter. They do, however, fit in other Malkoff's I have and my BOSS that take 18650's.

Question is how do I open-up the MD4 so these new batteries (that I bought just for this body) fit? I do not have access to a lathe. I do have a drill press but not sure that is the way to go. I thought about making a sandpaper flapper but it seems like more than that needs removed. Maybe talk to my buddy that owns a machine shop? Not really wanting to send the body off but if that's the best option where should I send it?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Boy idk I'd leave it as is and grab a new body. I'm going through the same dilemma with an elzetta. But if not much needs to be taken out a Wood dowel with sandpaper 320 or so might work.

oldways

Enlightened

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Malkoff will open up the old bodys free of charge. Send it in with a note.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I have a couple M60's one is engraved one has a sticker. The one with the sticker has a whiteboard under the led the engraved one has a yellow board. There beams are totally different as the sticker one is much brighter and much whiter. Anyone know what gives? Is it just a different year they were made? I can snap a shot of them they look pretty different.

archimedes

Flashaholic
There may be some other differences, but my understanding was the "stickered" M60 were the Elzetta versions, back when Elzetta were powered by Malkoff ?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok one on left is sticker model one on right engraved. Not the best picture but see the difference?
154007-E7-66-AF-40-EC-ACF6-C237-A6-E06-BFE.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The board under them is different color left-white. Right yellow green? And the optic hole is also larger on the one on the left

Status
Not open for further replies.