The RA Twisty gets improved

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Please get off the key chain light thing. I disagree with him also, but the real interest here is the The RA Twisty gets improved, or is it? Just call it his opinion and don't try to make him wrong.

Bill

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, this RA twisty has promise but has taken years and is still not up to where I would want it to be.

It needs the latest most efficient top-notch LED, plus a narrow beam.

I don't understand why this is so hard to provide (though, again, I am not a technical person and certainly know nothing about producing flashlights!).

My doubts arise even though I read Henry's explanation that somehow LED's with impressive specs are not out in full-scale production, but I find that hard to believe when I see the large numbers of units being sold by other manufacturers using the latest most efficient LEDs (like the CREE's).

Now, the OP's information seems to say that a narrow beam may not be produced and the current run of twisties could run out soon. Also, Henry's obviously limited ability to manufacture (in terms of numbers) and design (as can be seen by the long times between product updates) will be stretched further by focusing on other projects (such as key-chains and headlamps).

If so, the twisty will remain among the greatest lights that MIGHT have been for several more years...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Please get off the key chain light thing. I disagree with him also, but the real interest here is the The RA Twisty gets improved, or is it? Just call it his opinion and don't try to make him wrong.

The original thread had multiple points (despite the thread title), including a point about a possible new Ra keychain light. :shrug:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I really hope they produce this because all the current key chain lights except surefire are total crap at this time.

This is all I know let the speculations run wild.
I think some of your speculations have already run wild. Can't you be excited about a light without insulting every other maker out there?
File under "not total crap":

-Ti Killer AAA by PhotonFanatic
-Ti Sapphire by McGizmo/Arc
-Drake/Draco by Modamag
-Arc AAA

:thumbsup: john
There's a good start, not to mention the ever famous LF2XT, Aeon, Raw, Wee, L0D/LD01, Quark MiNi's ad infinitum.
None of these run on cr123a batteries.
I know this is your personal opinion, but I don't think of CR123 lights as key chain lights at all.
The original thread had multiple points (despite the thread title), including a point about a possible new Ra keychain light. :shrug:
+1

All points in the OP are open for discussion, especially when they contain such an inspiring point as everything other than Surefire being crap. If it's not to be discussed then it needs to not be included.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what to think but if the new light is going to be running primary CR123a batteries only, do you guys think Henry would still continue on the current Ra clicky and twisty as they take rechargeables? Maybe sell them as complimenting lights to each other?

jch79

I don't know what to think but if the new light is going to be running primary CR123a batteries only, do you guys think Henry would still continue on the current Ra clicky and twisty as they take rechargeables? Maybe sell them as complimenting lights to each other?

I hope so - no RCR123 is a deal-breaker for this guy. :-(

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, this RA twisty has promise but has taken years and is still not up to where I would want it to be.

It needs the latest most efficient top-notch LED, plus a narrow beam.

I don't understand why this is so hard to provide (though, again, I am not a technical person and certainly know nothing about producing flashlights!).

My doubts arise even though I read Henry's explanation that somehow LED's with impressive specs are not out in full-scale production, but I find that hard to believe when I see the large numbers of units being sold by other manufacturers using the latest most efficient LEDs (like the CREE's).

Now, the OP's information seems to say that a narrow beam may not be produced and the current run of twisties could run out soon. Also, Henry's obviously limited ability to manufacture (in terms of numbers) and design (as can be seen by the long times between product updates) will be stretched further by focusing on other projects (such as key-chains and headlamps).

If so, the twisty will remain among the greatest lights that MIGHT have been for several more years...

I am no expert either but I believe the choice in LED's used in HDS lights is not so much about supply as it is about overall durability and efficiency. I believe the intentions are to use an emitter that offers both durability and efficiency and not just one or the other since these light are built to be used in hard core environments. As far as beam profile's go both the Clicky and Twisty offer all kinds of beam profile's and I would challenge you to to pick a profile that suits you and try it out. Like myself, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I hope so - no RCR123 is a deal-breaker for this guy. :-(

As long as we are conjecturing here, maybe an HDS made for primary CR123's is the one that will work really well with AA's, an AA tube maybe? That would work with me.

Bill

jch79

As long as we are conjecturing here, maybe an HDS made for primary CR123's is the one that will work really well with AA's, an AA tube maybe? That would work with me.

Bill

LOL... yeah, I usually stay out of speculation threads, but Bill, you just got my hopes up. :laughing:

:thumbsup: john

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, I guess I will be holding off on any other light purchases till we see what were looking at here. Because I could definitely be talked into another 1x123 light from Henry, and a keychain light would be awesome (this would have to be a AAA light to be a viable option though IMO).

Keep on creating Henry, we're ready! :wave:

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
One thing cannot be improved; shipping time! Placed order on Friday and received it today, Monday.
woot.gif

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Just came in from the dark after playing with the new toy. Very nice little light and built REALLY well. Surprised at some small particles inside the reflector, just cosmetic and probably has no effect on output. Nice beam and tint (140GT), though the SF A2L Aviator I had seemed to have both better throw and better flood. I am definitely not feeling the burst mode!:( It would have been nice to be able to lock this out with programming, batteries are both cheap and easy to carry. Going to try to bump the low up a little also. SF LX2 should arrive tomorrow for a little shoot out.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came in from the dark after playing with the new toy. Very nice little light and built REALLY well. Surprised at some small particles inside the reflector, just cosmetic and probably has no effect on output. Nice beam and tint (140GT), though the SF A2L Aviator I had seemed to have both better throw and better flood. I am definitely not feeling the burst mode!:( It would have been nice to be able to lock this out with programming, batteries are both cheap and easy to carry. Going to try to bump the low up a little also. SF LX2 should arrive tomorrow for a little shoot out.

I am in Singapore and when I received the 140GT I too noticed some dust in the reflector. Wow! The dust of Tucson USA in there! It doesn't affect the beam and in fact it added a little sentimental value to it IMHO. I don't mind it actually as it is not severe at all.

Anyway, my impression of the Ra is that it is not bright compared to some other lights I have but then I understand why Henry designed it so. I would rather have a robust light than one which is overdriven and spoils within a short time. Heat management is first grade too! Definitely worth paying for.

You mentioned about LX2. I have compared it to LX2 and all I can say is that they are 2 different calibre of lights. LX2 is a throw king and the Ra a rather useful floodlight for closeup work. I see myself using the Ra 80% of the time.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using mine heavily since it arrived. The one thing I've noticed is that on low, it turns forabout 3/4 rotation before medium, then only 1/4 (or less?) turn to go to high. Doens't bother me too much, but I could see it being a bother if I needed medium right away. THis isn't a "tactical" light, nor is it meant to be, but I wish I could adjust that somewhat.

For this to be my biggest quibble with a light....well, that's pretty good, as I am a picky, picky man.