The RA Twisty gets improved

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
AvroArrow,

The new Twistys work just like the Clickys as far as burst is concerned. The level that is just below burst is the 1 hour setting. So if you want the same behavior as the old Twisty lights, you simple customize the maximum setting one level lower and that will be exactly what you get.

Tint shift is highly dependent on the individual LED. Some LEDs barely shift and a small number shift quite a bit. It is part of the nature of all LEDs.

Henry.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not quite as bright as my Clicky 140 GT (and my Arc6, for that matter), the enhanced color rendition is well worth the price. It's a pleasure to use and has an UI that is immediately intuitive - even for non-flashaholics like my wife.

Hi Keriya, it seems like you are someone who could answer my question. I have a 140GT and am thinking of getting another high CRI version later on. You said it is slightly dimmer than the 140GT. I know everyone percieves brightness differently but in your opinion, is there a very noticeable difference in brightness? I believe that other than the tint color and brightness differences, the beam profile should be the same?

AILL

Newly Enlightened
AvroArrow,

The new Twistys work just like the Clickys as far as burst is concerned. The level that is just below burst is the 1 hour setting. So if you want the same behavior as the old Twisty lights, you simple customize the maximum setting one level lower and that will be exactly what you get.
[...]

Henry.

So I have no reason to replace my Twisty 120. It will be brighter for an hour (120 lumens) than an actual Twisty 140 (100 lumens) if I conclude correctly.

Thank you for this great light Henry!

Andreas

keriya

Newly Enlightened
Hi Keriya, it seems like you are someone who could answer my question. I have a 140GT and am thinking of getting another high CRI version later on. You said it is slightly dimmer than the 140GT. I know everyone percieves brightness differently but in your opinion, is there a very noticeable difference in brightness? I believe that other than the tint color and brightness differences, the beam profile should be the same?

Hi pjandyho,

there is a small, but visible difference in brightness between the high CRI an 140 GT.
For my eyes, the difference is more than offset by the better color rendition of
the high CRI version. If I had to choose only one light, I would take the high CRI version.

BTW, the beam profile is the same.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi pjandyho,

there is a small, but visible difference in brightness between the high CRI an 140 GT.
For my eyes, the difference is more than offset by the better color rendition of
the high CRI version. If I had to choose only one light, I would take the high CRI version.

BTW, the beam profile is the same.

Thank you so much! Just as I had expected. Sounds good enough to me. Would be ordering one more in high CRI later when more funds come in. Sort of overspent this month on lights alone.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Twisty high CRI 100 Lumen today, with a 19670 battery compartment and a black steel bezel.

The light is very nice, I already know the P4 high CRI from the Clicky, the Twisty seems to have a slightly smaller and brighter hotspot, this may only be imagination or on my lights however.

I don't see any need to program the modes, it comes with a low-low, usable medium and high, which is optimal in my eyes. The tail of the 19670 compartment has a huge slot, I installed a paracord lanyard (neon orange) and that looks flashy... :D

Great light, as all my HDS! :thumbsup:

knightrider

Enlightened
I got my Twisty high CRI 100 Lumen today, with a 19670 battery compartment and a black steel bezel.

The tail of the 19670 compartment has a huge slot, I installed a paracord lanyard (neon orange) and that looks flashy... :D

Pics! Please! Must have some pics of your new Twisty with the 19670 compartment. :poke:

:popcorn:

CLBME

Enlightened
Henk Lu- this will be my next HDS/Ra. I'm glad to read that you like it. I'll second the request for a picture of the battery compartment if you are able as you mentioned a "huge slot" in the tail. Is this a new compartment? I have a pic in my review of a Twisty with the compartment but it's the same hole as in the standard Twisty. It's here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/261508

Thanks!

Christian

The light is very nice, I already know the P4 high CRI from the Clicky, the Twisty seems to have a slightly smaller and brighter hotspot, this may only be imagination or on my lights however.

I don't see any need to program the modes, it comes with a low-low, usable medium and high, which is optimal in my eyes. The tail of the 19670 compartment has a huge slot, I installed a paracord lanyard (neon orange) and that looks flashy... :D

Great light, as all my HDS! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently at work, but this evening I can take some pictures of the light, no problem! Beamshots are not possible however.

I have no idea if that compartment is a new one, somewhere I read about a 17670 for the old model, but I never saw one. I asked Henry about the normal compartment, if it has the same huge slot now, he denied, it has still the round part in the middle. That one is optically nice of course, if you don't install a lanyard, but the slot has much more practical use and HDS lights are users for me.

The compartments are interchangeable with the old version, they are the same technically. That's a huge advantage of course and the reason to take a 19670 with a new light. Optically the same, the beam is the biggest improvement on teh new version. I was somewhat upset when I turned on my 85Tr for the first time : Tiny bright hotspot surrounded by a more or less usable spill. I already had my Clickys at that time, while I preffer the wider beam as I like it floody, the narrower beam is still much more usefull than the tight spot on the old Twisty.

To be honest though, my Clicky 170Cn has double the output of the Twisty 85Tr and you have to make compromises, but, still, the hotspot could have been larger and less bright to my gusto. If we leave the little differences of my two high CRI lights apart, the new Twisty has exactly the beam I love, with the particularities of the P4 high CRI : Nearly white hotspot surrounded by a yellowish-brownish corona which goes into a usable yellowish orange-tinted spill. That's white-wall hunting, in real use you'll see vibrant colors in nature, which are a little darker in the corona-part of the hotspot.

If you don't like that and preffer white yellowish tinted light, just take the 140 Lumen emitter, I guess it produces about the same beam as my Clicky 140C(E) which is a more or less big hotspot surrounded by a well-lit spill, the best compromise I can imagine for the P4. There's one thing missing on all my HDS : Beam artefacts. I was used to them with Cree XR-Es, that's probably the main reason we haven't seen any Cree emitters in Henry's lights. I would not be surprised to see an XP-G showing up however (nope, I have no info at all about that)...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty pictures

Here we go!

The tail of the 19570 compartment :

27y5nhy.jpg

The light standing :

oarq1g.jpg

The Twisty in action :

34zlv9e.jpg

A view in the reflector :

2yv3qpu.jpg

The new one next to the old one :

13znz4i.jpg

Two rear ends, 19670 and 123 :

2i77ceb.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the 17670 compartment for the Clicky! :crazy:

knightrider

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics Henk_Lu! Very nice looking light. :cool:

That 19670 battery compartment is really cool. I like how the lanyard is flush due to that slot, great design.

CLBME

Enlightened
+1 Henk Lu. Thank you as well for the photos and your thoughts. Would you also help me with your opinion? I have three Ra's and would like another Twisty. I'm pretty much set on a high CRI model just like yours but I have no experience with any high CRI lights at all. Is there are very pronounced rendering of colors compared to a "regular" light? Would I notice a difference if I'm a general user of lights that doesn't "need" color rendition if you will? Would I be just as happy jumping up a few lumens in the regular version?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Christian

Thanks for the pics Henk_Lu! Very nice looking light. :cool:

That 19670 battery compartment is really cool. I like how the lanyard is flush due to that slot, great design.

knightrider

Enlightened
I'm pretty much set on a high CRI model just like yours but I have no experience with any high CRI lights at all. Is there are very pronounced rendering of colors compared to a "regular" light? Would I notice a difference if I'm a general user of lights that doesn't "need" color rendition if you will? Would I be just as happy jumping up a few lumens in the regular version?

It's going to be such a personal preference on that one. I just received my high CRI Twisty today and it is super nice. As far as the high CRI goes, it's a nice difference in color rendering, more pop of colors, I like it.

Considering the Ra lights you have already, it seems that a high CRI Twisty would fit nicely as another flavor for you. You would also be happy with the 140 standard version, but it might be so close to your 120EDC that you would have two similar beams and brightnesses - but with different switch types. It's great to have so many options, but sometimes it's hard to decide.

Last edited:

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Knightrider,

Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestion. I hadn't thought about the 120EDC in comparison to the 140 Twisty actually. I was just thinking in terms of the Twisty variants. Very good point. I am really curious about the high CRI. It seems that you can tell the difference?

Thanks again.

Christian

knightrider

Enlightened
Can definitely tell a difference. The colors are nicer and less flat looking. The high CRI does seem less bright than the 140E I have and that does make sense due to the difference in max. I like it and the way the beam is - it reminds me of a nice incandescent. It gives more depth to the beam and what you are looking at.

If you want max brightness - get the 140, but if you feel you want to try the high CRI, do it. I think you'll like it. I got mine for outdoor activities like backpacking and I think it will perform that task extremely well. I would get the high CRI, because you already have the P4 120EDC and the Osram 170T - and the high CRI is totally different than both.

I first got the 140E, great smooth beam. Then I got the 140T a week later because I wanted more throw, black bezel, raised tail cap. Then 2 weeks later, ordered the high CRI Twisty for outdoor stuff, extreme durability. So I was in a similar situation as you are now.

CLBME

Enlightened
Good morning Knightrider. I am glad you can see the difference. I will definitely be adding the light to my collection- just need a little time. $:sigh:$ Patience is a virtue! :D Thank you for your help!

Can definitely tell a difference. The colors are nicer and less flat looking. The high CRI does seem less bright than the 140E I have and that does make sense due to the difference in max. I like it and the way the beam is - it reminds me of a nice incandescent. It gives more depth to the beam and what you are looking at.

If you want max brightness - get the 140, but if you feel you want to try the high CRI, do it. I think you'll like it. I got mine for outdoor activities like backpacking and I think it will perform that task extremely well. I would get the high CRI, because you already have the P4 120EDC and the Osram 170T - and the high CRI is totally different than both.

I first got the 140E, great smooth beam. Then I got the 140T a week later because I wanted more throw, black bezel, raised tail cap. Then 2 weeks later, ordered the high CRI Twisty for outdoor stuff, extreme durability. So I was in a similar situation as you are now.

knightrider

Enlightened
Some beamshots against the wall. Left is High CRI Twisty, middle is 140E wide standard, right is 140T narrow standard. I used different white balance settings on my DSLR. Different white balances show the tint differences in different ways...

Second last image seems the most correct (to me) at showing the differences - high CRI seems a little orange though, and it isn't quite that much color to the beam. I think it was set at "Cloudy" for white balance for the second last picture, but not totally sure. All lights were set at the 12 lumen setting for pictures.

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good pics. Would you step one of them down? Like to see how much brighter 140 narrow is compared to others.

Bill

knightrider

Enlightened
1 step down - Tungsten white balance setting - 12 lumens all lights
left high cri, middle 140E standard wide, right 140T standard narrow
IMG_2125.jpg

2 steps down - Tungsten white balance setting - 12 lumens all lights
left high cri, middle 140E standard wide, right 140T standard narrow
IMG_2126.jpg

Last edited: