The RA Twisty gets improved

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
007Runner,

Telephone is an interesting game and always produces interesting results...

Although I cannot confirm or deny most of what you have said because it involves unannounced products, I will correct one item. All of our lights are designed for both primary and rechargeable batteries.

BullzeyeBill,

Our power supply handles low Vf without difficulty. The Vf on the IR LEDs is roughly 2V - far lower than your typical 3.0 to 3.5V for a good white LED and 3.5 to 4.0V for the crummier white LEDs.

Russki,

The original Twisty lights used a different type of power supply than the current Twisty lights and all of the Clicky lights. The original Twisty lights were much more sensitive to calibration issues when swapping LEDs.

Henry.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've been using mine heavily since it arrived. The one thing I've noticed is that on low, it turns forabout 3/4 rotation before medium, then only 1/4 (or less?) turn to go to high. Doens't bother me too much, but I could see it being a bother if I needed medium right away. THis isn't a "tactical" light, nor is it meant to be, but I wish I could adjust that somewhat.

For this to be my biggest quibble with a light....well, that's pretty good, as I am a picky, picky man.
I sent two Twisty's to Henry last year with the same complaint and he sent them back perfect within a very short time period. He was pretty easy to talk to, and called me back right away after I left a message, so you might want to at least give him a call.

Russki

Enlightened
Russki,

The original Twisty lights used a different type of power supply than the current Twisty lights and all of the Clicky lights. The original Twisty lights were much more sensitive to calibration issues when swapping LEDs.

Henry.

Henry thanks for clarification.
I wonder if you still considering making 2AA tube for Twisty.
I have no problem using CR123, but when going on long trips I often take my old modified HDS, and 2AA tube with it, just for emergences. 2AA tube would add a lot more practical usefulness to twisty. :)

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Russki,

We have no plans for a Twisty 2xAA battery tube. The primary problem is recovering the development cost and setup fees over a small number of units.

I remember many years back when someone was going to make a custom battery compartment for one of our lights. I even agreed to provide the drawings at no charge. He had 50 people signed up to purchase one and had settled on what he thought was a fair price. And then he went to get quotes from his local machine shops. Even doubling the original price was not going to cover his expenses so the project died.

Henry.

emac

Newly Enlightened
Henry has sold me his crack and it is amazing!!
85tr and a regular 140 twisty
he really needs to stop offering all these incredible little lights they are perfect and the customer service and shipping time is unparalleled!!!
Keep up the great work Henry
I cannot wait to see what you bring to market!!

Snow

Enlightened
I will be watching this with interest. My Ra Twisty is mostly a backup light. Since I generally prefer clickys for use and know the Twisty is dependable, I leave it in my bag on outings while using other lights.

I went camping this past weekend and brought the Ra Twisty and a Zebralight headlamp, leaving all other lights home. I had forgotten how great the Twisty is! I have the low set as dim as it will go and the other two levels spaced out fairly evenly. It was a very useful light around camp and now I feel dumb for not using it as much as I could. I do prefer a warmer tint, but the tint on mine is pretty white and bright, and looked great in the real outdoors. What a great light.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really diggin this High CRI Twisty. The more I play with it the more I like it, which really is more of a Sandra Bullock kind of lust.

I'm already thinking about getting another one with the 18650 battery tube, but I'm wondering if any newer High CRI leds might be on the horizon?

Any news ???

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm really diggin this High CRI Twisty. The more I play with it the more I like it, which really is more of a Sandra Bullock kind of lust.

I'm already thinking about getting another one with the 18650 battery tube, but I'm wondering if any newer High CRI leds might be on the horizon?

Any news ???

Henry will probably correct me on this but so far the Seoul offers the best Hi CRI solutiion that works well with the Ra reflectors. They are rated at about 80 lumens at 350mA's to the LED, a much lower flux than most of the Seoul P4 U2 bins available. A Seoul Hi CRI would be fairly overdriven if it was offered in a 140 lumen version and not very efficient. The Luxeon Rebel is available in Hi CRI versions, in the 80 CRI or so range, and some have reported some nice pure white Rebel's that render colors very well. Down the road there will be some new standards for color rendition that may make CRI, as a standard, obsolete.

Bill

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Just came in from the dark after playing with the new toy. Very nice little light and built REALLY well. Surprised at some small particles inside the reflector, just cosmetic and probably has no effect on output. Nice beam and tint (140GT), though the SF A2L Aviator I had seemed to have both better throw and better flood. I am definitely not feeling the burst mode!:( It would have been nice to be able to lock this out with programming, batteries are both cheap and easy to carry. Going to try to bump the low up a little also. SF LX2 should arrive tomorrow for a little shoot out.

Update: Twisty: 8 /10 Surefire: 7/10

LX2 is also a very nice light, I am sure the neighbors are thinking that aliens have landed! It sure gets hot when on high for a long period. As much as I hate the "burst mode", the Twisty is the keeper. Nicer tint and probably a much more useful light 90+% of the time. Since everyone NEEDS to own at least one Surefire, I will see what the Stratum brings if/when released. When I was comparing the Quark AA/2 vs the SF A2L Aviator in Yosemite, the wife liked the SF better. Tonight she said "I like the little one better". Can't argue with that. Now if I can get a current link to someone making custom clips for the Twisty and pre-made lanyards, all will be well.

J33psr0ck

Newly Enlightened
@Hobbs,

Your handle is familiar from knife forums, edged tools rule. If I have the wrong Hobbs, apologies, but edged tools still rule.

I too have been waiting for Ra aaftermarket clips. Check out Moddoo's thread here for details http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=223771.

The twisty is calling me. I have been a clicky guy to this point with SureFire, Peak and Ra, but I am very tempted to pick up a twisty.

Ron

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Just a question for clarification. So do these new Twistys have the same "burst" as the Clickys? So every time you twist to "high" (assuming you set high for max level) it'll stay there for 10 seconds and dim down to the next level? Because on the old Twistys high was high, e.g. old Twisty 100 gave 100lumen for 1hr, whereas the new Twisty 100 is 100lm for 10s then 71lm for 1hr unless you keep twisting it back to med then high, med then high, repeat?

Also, does the new 100lm high CRI Warm White Twisty tint shift like the old 100lm Warm White? I have an older Osram based (I think) 100lm WW Clicky that is white on high, a bit yellowish on med, and a bit greenish on low. I also have a modded HDS U60 with a SSC high CRI P4 that is doesn't tint shift like my Clicky does, it just gets dimmer the lower I go. If the new Twisty highCRI WW doesn't tint shift like the Osram based WW Clicky, I may have to sell my old larger Clicky to get the new Twisty. I don't carry the Clicky because it's too long and I don't like the tint shift.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a question for clarification. So do these new Twistys have the same "burst" as the Clickys? So every time you twist to "high" (assuming you set high for max level) it'll stay there for 10 seconds and dim down to the next level? Because on the old Twistys high was high, e.g. old Twisty 100 gave 100lumen for 1hr, whereas the new Twisty 100 is 100lm for 10s then 71lm for 1hr unless you keep twisting it back to med then high, med then high, repeat?
According to Henry, the new twisty works just like the clicky. 140 lumens on burst and then 100 lumens on high thereafter. For High CRI version would be 100 lumens on 10 secs burst and 85 lumens on high after that.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Hmmnnn, I wasn't aware that any HDS lights had a burst feature.:thinking: I thought that they were consistently regulated to whatever lumen model that you order.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmnnn, I wasn't aware that any HDS lights had a burst feature.:thinking: I thought that they were consistently regulated to whatever lumen model that you order.

Copied from Ra Twisty order page in HDS website.

"Output settings can customized with burst output, tactical strobe, emergency strobe signaling and emergency SOS signaling or any brightness level."

Here's the link. http://www.ralights.com/?id=Twisty

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, now I don't know what to do. Is the new light going to be a clickie? I sold my 140Cn to get funds for a 170 or even a 200 but now I think I may hold off in anticipation of these guys. Need MOAR INFO!

ecallahan

Enlightened
Also, does the new 100lm high CRI Warm White Twisty tint shift like the old 100lm Warm White? I have an older Osram based (I think) 100lm WW Clicky that is white on high, a bit yellowish on med, and a bit greenish on low. I also have a modded HDS U60 with a SSC high CRI P4 that is doesn't tint shift like my Clicky does, it just gets dimmer the lower I go. If the new Twisty highCRI WW doesn't tint shift like the Osram based WW Clicky, I may have to sell my old larger Clicky to get the new Twisty. I don't carry the Clicky because it's too long and I don't like the tint shift.

I have the Warm White 100 wwcn clicky, and the newer High CRI Twisty. I notice the same tint shift in the wwcn, but no tint shift on my High CRI Twisty.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I have the Warm White 100 wwcn clicky, and the newer High CRI Twisty. I notice the same tint shift in the wwcn, but no tint shift on my High CRI Twisty.

Thanks for the info, that's just what I was looking for. Now to dig around my boxes of lights and see what else I can sell off to get a new Twisty. :D

keriya

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday, my Ra Twisty 100 high CRI was delivered. It was ordered on April 14. Henry replied with the usual two week delivery estimate, but already sent it out one or two days after my order was placed.
:thanks:
Delivery was held back by the icelandic volcano ash clouds which stopped all air traffic in many parts of europe. But after some odyssey traveling from the US via UK and belgium to germany I now have it in my hands!
All I can say -- woowww! :wow:
What a great light! Perfect anodizing, great beam profile and warm & rich colors. It reminds me of an incandescant lamp. Although not quite as bright as my Clicky 140 GT (and my Arc6, for that matter), the enhanced color rendition is well worth the price. It's a pleasure to use and has an UI that is immediately intuitive - even for non-flashaholics like my wife.

Axion

Enlightened
I'm really hoping my hi CRI twisty takes less than two weeks to ship so it's good to hear about your prompt service.

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened
Ordered my EDC 140 Twisty from LEDFIRETORCHES here in the UK and it arrived the next day! Can't beat that...