This is the christmas that broke the straw

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One year I wound up at a drugstore on Christmas Eve, looking for replacement bulbs for the Christmas lights. When I walked into the store I saw a really sad sight; the shelves were picked bare and the shoppers were looking around for anything that they could give as a gift - any soap-on-a-rope, Old Spice or Mr. Microphone, anything at all, just so they wouldn't have to leave the store empty handed. At that moment I swore to myself that I would never get into that position of being so desperate to find a gift.

And like Chuck, I've come to realize that it's not about the stuff at all. For me, my favorite Christmas gifts are the memories I have of family gatherings and all of the fun we had there. Some of those family members are long gone now, which only makes me cherish the memories of them more each Christmas. I guess the beest gift would be the gift of time - if I could wind back the clock and be with those people just one more time.

In a way they're still there every Christmas - they're just on the other side of that time-space wall. I can feel their presence during quiet, reflective moments, sometimes when I gaze into the Christmas lights, sometimes when I retrace old steps from holidays past. I look for them every year, hoping to catch just one more glimpse. Usually I find them not at the mall, but somehow in the nighttime air, in the stars, in my heart.

And if they were here today, it wouldn't matter to me if they were among those at the drugstore at 11pm looking for some soap-on-a-rope; it would be more than enough of a gift just to have them here.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what to say. In addition to being a flashaholic I'm also a bibliophile and for YEARS I have been pestering everyone who knows me to just buy me gift certificates at book stores.

Nope, people always bough me little knicknacks (not even up to the "cool gadget" level, just stuff to sit on shelves and look pretty. My wife and I live in a TINY little apartment -WE HAVE NO ROOM FOR MORE KNICKNACKS!-

Finally this year I recieved 9 nearly identical little envelopes with handwritten variations on "wishing you the season's best" and bookstore gift cards of varying amounts...and I've never been happier with my Christmas presents because they said -we really understand!

That's the part I like... When your friends and family do really understand you

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
matt_j said:
I got shower head and booze. Now I take baths and don't drink hard stuff.
Hey Matt, I'll trade you the booze for something I got...

I mean come the heck on, I'm a 26 year old man, not a 12 year old girl....
Sometimes relatives just don't think. But his little gem DID provide a good loooong laugh from my family and friends.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing about the Chinese is that they have a universal gift for all occasions - the red packet, also known as hong bao, or by any other myriad of names. This basically contains cash.

I'm aware that in some circles, that giving cash is seen as "I didn't put enough thought into this gift", but the Chinese perceive it as a very pragmatic gift and I've never seen anybody take offence. Heck, stuff a few notes in an envelope and send it my way, I wouldn't complain :D

redcar

Enlightened
I feel your pain Matt. I hate that cheap little junk that means nothing. I would rather just have some time spent with each other. Really talk and get to know one another. Last Christmas I quit trading gifts with my family, and this year my inlaws made the same decision. Thank Godness. Now my torment is over.

My in-laws used to trade wish lists so you could get what they want. What a joke! I'll buy your thing, you buy mine. How pointless. Just buy what you want for yourself and be done with it.

It should not be about trading stuff for stuff. Spend some of that on a nice family meal and give some to charity. But something for someone that you really really want to give them and forget everything else.

Coal will keep you warm, can really help start a fire, be used as fire fuel, and is waterproof. Very nice stuff.

And as a positive expression, I think in my case it was to sooth the conscious of the giver more than it was for me to receive a gift.

I'll leave on a more upbeat note: just got back from birding with my inlaws where we saw the very rare (for where we live) Cackling Goose. It was a life bird for all four birders (me, wife, mother-in-law, sister-in-law). Got to go now so I can finish cooking tomorrow's dinner. I'm making 2 huge lasagna's, tiramisu, chocolate fudge, haystacks and peanut butter candy.

It got better for me, I'm hoping it will get better for you.

Red

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'm with Matt on this one. My own closest family members are the worst holiday gift-givers. It reached a peak of futility 2 years ago when 3 of my 5 siblings gave me cans of peanuts or mixed nuts for Christmas. I never eat nuts and have always avoided foods with a lot of nuts in them because I don't like them. I cannot believe that my own brothers and sisters cannot even remember that little fact about me. I brought them all to my place of work and gave them away there. Last year it was nuts, beer, and a first-aid kit.

I gave up this year, and just handed out candy, cans of mixed nuts, and beer to all my siblings. I figure that people will give as gifts things that they like themselves, so I took the hint.

End of my holiday rant.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I got shower head and booze. Now I take baths and don't drink hard stuff."

Matt that sucks so bad I had three seperate outbursts of laughter. Oh, man that's bad. My apologies.

My father-in-law at the time and I had a bunch of conversations about wood, fireplaces, woodburning stoves, what kinds of wood burned how, how to care for firewood, how to best cut kindling, etc. One year for Christmas I got this really nicely wrapped gift and what was inside? Kindling. Well it was really good kindling cut just right, stacked all tight and neat. I was genuinely quite pleased with it.

The wife and mother-in-law got on his case about it. "A box of wood? Gee, J.H."

He was all like, "What? He likes it. Look he's grinning from ear to ear and it took me an hour or so to cut it."

"Yea." I said. "I really do like it."

The wife and mother-in-law thought he was weird for giving it and I was weirder for liking it. The brother-in-law couldn't stop laughing. Everytime the wife would tell him to shut up he would start again. It gave me the giggles so we were making each other laugh then the father-in-law got caught up laughing at us and my p!ssed off wife.

"A box of wood and three idiots." As she was walking out of the room she smiled at me in a mirror. It was a blast.

A couple of years later he got me a leather suitcase for Christmas. I should say a cheap leather suitcase. Odd reddish cordovan color. I had no need for a suitcase. I had one but carry stuff in a duffle or pack or folding suitbag. Well, I should say I was the only one there that thought I had no need for a suitcase. A month or so later the wife told me she wanted a divorce. That sucked. Danged ugly suitcase. Sometimes I'm not just real good at hints. I still have it. It cracks me up.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt & other, I feel for you BUT just remember there are many other OUT THERE in the cold during this Xmas and New Year. Their wish is not for any fancy present or cool gift, just a plain good meal, hot shower and a cozzy place to sleep.

On a different note, like CroMagnet I try to buy present thru out the year and save up for the holidays. At last resort I'll just ask the person what he/she wants. This will reduce alot of stress from my part and reduce the "Aniston" complex for the ppls who received it.

Gotta luv those red envelope like Kevin said. I still recieve them at this age :D

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am with you Matt. It's not about actually getting SOMETHING, it's about the person putting some thought into it. It shows they know you, and have some care for you.
I think gifts should show some thought and care. They don't even have to be all that practical and usefull, if it fits the person.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I would have to agree with Matt, we gave up trading names with the extended family years ago. Now we draw names with the kids and make a day of shopping for each other at the mall. It keeps the cost down and puts more meaning into getting gifts for each other.

I know how you feel, several years ago my parents gave us a bottle of wine as a gift. Now in 50 years I have only seen my dad have a beer or two every month or so and Mom never. My wife and I maybe have a drink every year or two and Mom and Dad know this.

Mom said I hope you like the wine we did not know what else to get you,
go figure.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I was crapped on too. I spent over 100 bucks on a series of gifts for one person, gave away my cabelas xpg 5 watt with box of batteries to someone else and a few others. I got a container of tootsie rolls and a few pounds of turkey.

I too wished I got one of those gag bags of coal.