Thoughts on Surefire E1L outdoorsman?

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Hi All,

I was just wondering what the general opinion is of the Surefire E1L outdoorsman, a single CR123 cell LED light. Any first hand experience?

JK

Fringe

Enlightened
Great little light. I recomend it fully, but would not get it without the F04 beam shaper for SF, this turns the throwy beam to a nice diffused flood.

carrot

Flashaholic
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl1gen2.htm sums it up nicely.

I have not had the chance to try the E1L but I did try out the E1e and L1, unfortunately in a brightly lit store. The E1e is the same body as the E1L, and the L1 is the same output and beam as the E1L, so I suppose I can give a decent impression of it.

The clicky tailcap is very nice and responsive. Using it just "feels right," and though the light is very small, it fits well (comfortably even) in my fairly large hands. It is very nicely machined, and appears smaller than it sounds.

The output is a little strange. It's a spot beam, meaning it has little to no sidespill. As far as I could tell, it has no sidespill whatsoever, but does a great job illuminating things, especially if you're looking for something specific. I noticed a slight crescent-moon shaped ring on the outer edge of the beam, and unlike the rest of its output (a beautiful white), the thin ring was greenish. This may be a fluke or not, but it may bother some people. I can tell right away that I would easily get used to it, especially because I'm not very picky about a "perfect" beam, as long as it is a useful beam. My impression is that the spotlight beam would be incredibly fun to play with in dark enclosed areas, as well as doing a good job of illuminating things at a fair distance, like street signs, and probably even non-reflective surfaces. I wasn't quite able to tell at the brightly lit store, however. (Reflective street signs are incredibly easy to illuminate, especially... I lit some up half a block away using my A2's three LEDs.)

You'll want the F04 beamshaper with it to make it even more useful.

I'm certain that the E1L is going to be my next light; however, it might not be the one right for you. Are you looking for something specific in a light?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Having played with the E1L and owning an L1 (if I find it ;)):
- The E1L is too small for me to use it comfortably - which could be an advantage if you want minimum size.
- The beam is tightly focused. I do find myself moving the beam around to see stuff in a room, whereas the U2 sort of lights up the whole room at once. :D (but I'm comparing 2 different types of Lux here). Doing this doesn't really bother me, and to be honest, if you use high (on the L1) while indoors, there's enough reflection from walls, etc. that the focused beam is not much of an issue.
- The L1 offers 2 stages - very useful. Low is OK for me to read.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine 2 days ago. Its a great light in such a small package. The throw really suprised me, and yes the beam is tight, but i wouldnt say its "river rock 2aa" tight, a fantastic EDC. Its my first surefire and i can see what all the fuss is about.
-bobby

Kal El in SLO

Newly Enlightened
i love mine. it's my current edc light.

my only gripe is the awkward belt clip. because the light is so short...the clip doesnt seem to be more toward either end of the light....it's kinda in the middle. but it doesnt bother me too much. and for those who find this to be a major problem....they can always get the FB1 body.

brianvmsu

Newly Enlightened
I bought the E2L from old grandpa jack and found a E1L body off ebay for $20, i basically have either light i want by switch around the tail and head. It is my fire surefire and i LOVE it. The beam is tight, but in my estimation not too tight. I use the setup as a E2L at work in a holster, and i convert it to the E1L when i am just kicking around.. Buy it, use it you wont regret it.

Brian

PipesterLite

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an Surefire E1L yesterday. I love it! It fits quite well in the pocket. It throws quite a beam and it compares well with other lights. I do not have any experience with run time as of now. I wish the clip could be reversed. Looks like it and a HDS U42 will be EDC units. I am not sure if price is a concern or what your purchasing parameters are, but you may wish to check out Gander Mountain, if you have one close. The price I paid is comprable to what I found on internet, plus it went home with me!

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Cool!

Thanks guys. So this light does have some throw to it? I've got a KL4 and as bright as it is a simple 1 watter will blow it away side-by-side at 20 feet or so. I like a light that has a good throw to it.

alberto

Enlightened
I love the E1L. Well, actually mine is the E1e with the KL1 Gen 4 head added, which is the same as the E1L without the clickie switch. Its strong point is throw, not flood.

If I want flood, I have my E1e with KL4 head, or I can simply switch the KL1 head with the KL4. Or for brighter throw or brighter flood and longer run time, change to a E2e/L4 body.

If I want a clickie instead of momentary-on twistie, I just change the Z52 tail for the Z57. If I want a 2-stage clickie, I substitute my (easily) modified Z57.

This kind of modular design is what I like about SF lights. You can have any kind of light you want or need by just quickly switching heads, bodies, or tails -- and you still have a SF light.

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cool!

The only thing I don't love about the E1L is the clip, but as mentioned before, the FB1 body solves that nicely. I have pretty big hands, and I think the size is perfect. Its a perfect EDC and take anywhere light. Buy it, enjoy it.

schiesz

mykall

Enlightened
Re: Cool!

Jedi Knife said:
Thanks guys. So this light does have some throw to it? I've got a KL4 and as bright as it is a simple 1 watter will blow it away side-by-side at 20 feet or so. I like a light that has a good throw to it.

Jedi,

The E1L does indeed thow well w/o much spill, but it makes up for it by throwing with a very large and intense hotspot which delivers quite a bit
of light.

MB

BBL

Enlightened
I got mine a two weeks ago, the tailcap failed right away. Now I'm still waiting for replacement, could take another few weeks.

If you buy the E1L, expect tailcap problems.

Kal El in SLO

Newly Enlightened
I got mine a two weeks ago, the tailcap failed right away. Now I'm still waiting for replacement, could take another few weeks.

If you buy the E1L, expect tailcap problems.
really?? mine is working great...i guess i've only had it for a short while.

anyone else have this problem??

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutly loving mine :)
I was hoping some pro modder could turn this into a 2 stage or one with a Flupic. :thumbsup:

chuck4570

Enlightened
I have and use both of these lights, but I will say that I perfer to use the L1, the longer length of the L1 is just easier to use, and right out of the box you get the 2 stage switch. No need to buy an extra switch.

Chuck