Vacation to New York.....

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hey what about those hot dog vendors in the streets....you know the ones with the carts you always see in the movies. I have always wondered about those as all the big city police shows always show the cops eating from those vendors. Do they really have these guys along the streets and if so does anyone really eat from these?
Yes, and they sell more than just hot dogs. You can get ethnic foods from quite a few of them, depending upon the neighborhood.

I would also really like to take my new bicycle along however I do not really trust the airlines very much with luggage anyway. I have only flown twice and each time had my luggage lost....I got some of it back however never saw one of my bags again.
If you haven't already bought your plane tickets yet another option to consider where you wouldn't lose your bike is taking Amtrak. Granted, it's longer than by plane (about 22½ hours) but undoubtedly more civil. And since the train arrives at 34th Street and 8th Avenue, you save a good hour at least traveling from the airport. Here's a pdf of the schedule (only one train a day from Birmingham to NYC unfortunately).

+1 on what everyone else said about the weather. Hot and humid in the summers is the rule. If you're lucky you'll get about 5 days in the entire summer when the humidity breaks.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Hey what about those hot dog vendors in the streets....you know the ones with the carts you always see in the movies. I have always wondered about those as all the big city police shows always show the cops eating from those vendors. Do they really have these guys along the streets and if so does anyone really eat from these?

Hot dog vendors? In Manhattan where there are office buildings, you won't go more than a block or 2 without hitting one. Some grill their dogs, but most are "dirty water dogs" (boiled) - get it with Mustard and Onions or 'kraut - a Kinish goes well with them

The crowds - if you go to Times Square, you will see wall to wall cars and people, and you'll know the NYers - they are the ones shaking their heads, getting annoyed, trying to get around the people who are stopped looking around (the tourists). Other parts can get that crowded, but other parts are less. I will say that you will almost never see a street in Manhattan below say the 90s without at least 6-10 pedestrains on it.

Jaywalking is a NYC "art" - if there is a hole between 2 cars, people will walk through it, heck, standing on the white/yellow line between 2 lanes of moving traffic is common. You will swear we are crazy (we probably are)

Now the joke - look lost, and like a tourist, and someone will probably offer to help! We work FAST (the term NY Minute exists for a reason), but we will give folks a break, particularly if we can tell they are from out of town. Driving, for instance - it's controlled chaos, but, and example - you are pulling out into traffic, you put the nose out slightly (so folks can tell you want to pull in) and within a couple of cars, some will tap the brakes to slow down enough to leave you a hole to pull into - you better take it, because they won't stop, and they won't give you a second chance!

Price of Pizza? About $2 - $2.50/slice (plain slice - toppings etc extra) - figure 1-2 slices for lunch. A hot dog from a cart? Around $1.50. The reason they are popular is, they are cheap, and you can eat them while walking/waiting on line

Times Square is interesting - there are some big office buildings, but at the same time, I'd say 2/3rds of the people you see in/around TS are tourists coming to see Times Square!! (most of the ground floor businesses there cater purely to tourists - the locals will walk 1-2 blocks down a side street to get their food etc)

Unfortunately, International Soup Kitchen (aka the Soup Nazi) closed a few years back. The soup really was quite good, very expensive, and he wasn't quite as strict as the show made out - but he would make sure you moved all the way to the left, and you had to be ready to order. It was for a good reason, he usually had between 20-75 people waiting to order at lunch time, he had to MOVE people

Breakfast? The best budget breakfast - you will see coffee/doughnut carts all over midtown/downtown, stop, order your coffee and your muffin/pastery, or better, a bagel (unless you've had a NY bagel, you really have not had bagels). A large coffee (20oz) and a Bagel with butter will typically run about $2 (25 cents more for Cream cheese). A couple of hours later, there will probably be a hot dog cart in the same spot. The amazing things about these coffee carts? Go to the same cart the first 3-4 days, at the same time, and order the same thing. From then on, you'll probably be able to look at the guy and just nod, or say "the usual" - and he'll KNOW what you want (this from a guy who probably serves 100 people an hour!)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and they sell more than just hot dogs. You can get ethnic foods from quite a few of them, depending upon the neighborhood.

The "Halal" food carts are also EVERYWHERE and really quite good and a bargain - $5 gets you a good helping of rice, chicken or lamb, hummus, salad and a couple of pitas. The street gyros are also amazing.

If you want to experience what are my favorite hotdogs - hunt down a papaya dog or papaya king. Simple, classic goodness.

I would also highly recommend spending an extended amount of time in central park - first of all, its GORGEOUS and also about 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the city. Also, if you are a history buff, its fun to take a tour of all the statues. Lastly, if you want a romantic time with the wife or just a great relaxing afternoon, I highly suggest getting some food and wine (brown bag it) and have a picnic in the "Sheeps Meadow" area. When I don't leave the city over the weekends during the summer, the park is like an oasis. :cool:

Also, if you are here during the week - GO VISIT THE BRONX ZOO! Its easily the greatest zoo in the US. Make sure you go early in the morning and in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds.

I've been living in the city for my entire adult life and grew up in the NYC 'burbs in connecticut - I have maybe experienced only half of what the city has to offer. You could spend 10 lifetimes and still not experience it all - there is just so much great stuff to do!!!

On a completely different note, remember that if you normally carry a folder, make sure the clip is not visible - just keep it in your pocket. I've been stopped a few times in the subway and its illegal to have a knife visible - they just told me to stick it in my pocket. Further, keep it under 3 inches and remember that any knife that can be flicked or dropped open with one hand (like grippies and even spydercos) is considered illegal - SAKs or old-school folders are the way to go. I doubt this would realistically be an issue but... you never know.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....and the most important question is do they have sweet tea there??

You can get sweet tea.... just not the home brewed variety.

The citydata portion of Aluminous' post needs to be updated. Subways no longer take tokens. You need a MetroCard and fares are $2.00 (But you can use the card for a free connection onto buses). The subways used to be well-maintained and policed, under our old Mayor. The Billionare currently in office has allowed conditions to slide back down. Several of my last jobs were in Manhattan, and I rode the subways for years to get to work. Conditions are not horrendous, but far from what citydata would have you believe.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have fun in NYC!!! I know pinstipes make me sick but if you do have a chance to see Yankee Stadium it owuld be a great history stop!!!

Carnigie (sp?) deli is a waste.. like $20 a sangie!!!! wow!!!

Go Sox!!! lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
BTW, best Pizza in the city is a small shop called X-tra Cheese; in my old neighborhood in Flushing, Queens. Fresh food, very reasonable prices, and two guys who run it well.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
BTW, best Pizza in the city is a small shop called Extra Cheese; in my old neighborhood in Flushing, Queens. Fresh food, very reasonable prices, and two guys who run it well.

Remember what I said about Pizza and Fist Fights? Thos post is an "example" - for instance, I don't think I've ever eaten at "Extra Cheese", and I used to live in Flushing. My favorite place in Flushing has been gone over 20 years (Bella Pizza, which was a couple of doors down from Hobby Den/Aquapet)

I love a place out in Bayside called VI Pizza, but some will tell you that Pete's (maybe 3 blocks up the Blvd) is better

If you are on a commercial strip (what the police/fire dept would call a 'taxpayer') I think you'll have a hard time going more than say, 500 yds without hitting a Pizza Parlor, and EVERY one of them has people who will swear "it's the best pizza in the city" A for instance - about 4 blocks from home is our local "commercial" strip , which is for all intents, one and a half blocks of stores. There are THREE Pizza places, a Subway, a Bagel shop, and a Korean resturant

ygbsm

Enlightened
A few more good museums that weren't mentioned but are definitely worth it:

-Tenement Museum, lower east side
-Holocaust Museum, battery park (close to Wall St.)

Best steak:
-The strip house, E 12th Street (by union square)

Best roof bar:
-Gasevoort Hotel - the bar on the roof is called "Plunge"

Best pizza:
-Johns (already mentioned)
-Lombardis in the east village
-Famous Joes in the west village

The US open is a great idea also!

The subways are miserable right now but I agree are the BEST way to get around - if you want to avoid them, the public buses are also EXCELLENT for getting around, plus they have AC...

Sooooo many things for you to do on your trip - do you have any specific interests or hobbies (other than lights, of course :naughty: )?

Great Suggestions, I just have a few "tweaks"
Best steak:
-Peter Luger (Not actually in Manhattan, but just over the bridge)

Best roof bar:
-PENINSULA Hotel - the bar on the roof is ungodly expensive

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Remember what I said about Pizza and Fist Fights? Thos post is an "example" - for instance, I don't think I've ever eaten at "Extra Cheese", and I used to live in Flushing. My favorite place in Flushing has been gone over 20 years (Bella Pizza, which was a couple of doors down from Hobby Den/Aquapet)

I'll put my money where my mouth is.... literally. :D

Those two guys were making sausage rolls and calzones and other such things, made-to-order; years before the practice became trendy.

As for the Hobby Den, I assume you mean the one across the street and a bit further down from Flushing High School. Yeah, that place closed down years ago. :(

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'll put my money where my mouth is.... literally. :D

Those two guys were making sausage rolls and calzones and other such things, made-to-order; years before the practice became trendy.

As for the Hobby Den, I assume you mean the one across the street and a bit further down from Flushing High School. Yeah, that place closed down years ago. :(

Like I said about Pizza fights....

And yeah, that was Hobby Den. They then moved down where Lafyette electronics was at one time (down across Northern from 'Town Hall'). Then, oh, 10 years ago? Cheif (the old man who owned the place) and "Mrs Cheif" decided it was time to retire. Their son Scott closed it, and opened "Hockey Den" in Glen Oaks, which failed within a year or two

I used to be fairly friendly with the owners, as I was one of the "resident customers". In fact, one of the Ushers at my wedding 20 years ago used to be the "kid" (about 6 years older than me) who ran the hobby department for them. I still see John 4-5 times a year, but talk to him on the phone about 2x/week. In fact, 2 weekends ago, I was up at his place with "the old gang" that used to hang out at Hobby Den, our families and the like for his birthday. Amazing the friends you can make over the counter of a store, eh?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Well this is much information to soak in and it looks as if I will have plenty of places to visit. My g/f actually pretty much knows her way around there however she says it has been a few years since she was last there.

She did say we have to try some bagels however she knows very little of restaurants that I would like. She is a vegetarian and I will eat a big fat steak anytime so we differ just a little as to menus. I do know we are visiting a friend of hers who is an elderly Italian woman. She says this woman makes true authentic spaghetti and this is one of my favorites....just never had real old style before so I am excited about this.

This may sound crazy however exactly what is China Town? I mean I understand the basics however is it basically the same as the real thing. I am wondering if there are those small bazaars lining the streets with plenty of electronic stuff for sale......you know I am thinking of lights here. I was hoping to find some of those crazy cheap hosts such as DX and Kai sale. An online search just shows a million restaurants and people everywhere.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry Robo, but China Town is not known for lights or anything flashaholic related. But N.Y. Ironworks is right next to where China Town begins. (Or ends, depending on the direction you're coming from). That shop has lights, and caters to LEOs. I wasn't treated too well the last time I was there. (Very recently). But I'm not an LEO, and I asked if they had a Surefire M4. The place carries models that are more popular with Rank-and-File LEOs.

Check out the link in my earlier post for their address.

carrot

Flashaholic
Highlights of NYC:
- Paragon Sports at Union Square - tons of flashlights (Surefires!) and knives, including very expensive custom knives. Last time I was there I talked to a CPFer who was working behind the counter.

- Paul's Palace at Saint Mark's Place - do you like burgers? if yes, you have to go here! The burgers are fat and juicy and cooked to your specification (I always ask for med-rare). While you're in the area there's all sorts of other interesting things to see, including the Astor Place cube sculpture which you can spin.
- Jackson Hole at various locations - home of the 7oz burger. Much harder to eat with your hands but another favorite burger joint. If you don't order meat there, they'll probably think you're insane, but they have a few vegetarian things on the menu.
- Rice to Riches in SoHo - best rice pudding, with 12 distinct flavors to choose from
- Two Boots Pizza in Lower East Side - amazing specialty pizzas with a mild spicy kick. Definitely not the only pizza joint you should visit though, as this one is pretty different from normal "new york" pizza. I've pretty consistently heard the best new york pizza is in Brooklyn...
- Katz Delicatessen in Lower East Side - THE deli, and a fantastic Pastrami on Rye sandwich. Also featured in When Harry Met Sally.
- Nathan's Hotdogs in Coney Island - the original, and you can ride the famous Cyclone rollercoaster while you're there
- Eddy's Ice Cream Parlour in Forest Hills, Queens - like KC2IXE pointed out, it's great homemade ice cream... just not open on Mondays.
- Chat 'n Chew near Union Square - one of my most frequented restaurants, it is always busy but has great food and service
- Joe Shanghai in Chinatown - known for their soup dumplings (dumplings filled with soup), but everything else there is delicious too

Sorry, it seems all the places I could think of that were worth visiting were food... but at least you won't go hungry! Be sure to check out the street vendors selling beef or lamb in a pita, they are cheap and delicious.

Keep your knives clipped inside your waistband or unclipped inside your pockets.

Maybe you can find a few CPFers who wouldn't mind showing you around? There are a lot of us in NYC.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Also, the Empire State Building and Liberty Statue are not knife friendly. Nor are many other touristy locations.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not used to NYC-type traffic, I would recommend that you NOT bring your nice bike. There are a few good places to ride, but most of Manhattan is probably a no-ride zone to less experienced riders not used to congested north-east conditions. I'm sure you could rent a bike near Central Park or Riverside Park if the weather happened to be really nice - I think it would be worth the $ to save the hassle of lugging it, particularly if coming by plane.

Oh, yeah, as a LEO you can probably guess why all those heavy U-shaped hardened locks have warranties and guaranties that are VOID if used in NYC. If you do bring a nice bike, it becomes an EDC - never to be left alone.

That said, it is a GREAT place to see and experience. The pizza, bagels, museums and attractions already mentioned are wonderful. I'll second the recommendation of taking a round trip on the Staten Island ferry [avoiding rush hour if possible]. great views.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I will not be taking my bike however someday I would like to ride in an environment like the crowded city. I have always envied those who can get around in such crowded places. I do not travel much and I am sure the big city environment will be a little intimidating to me.

Even as I work in a pretty big city it is nothing compared to NY. I lived about 30 miles from the area I work (Birmingham) all of my life and at 28 years old I started my work as an officer. The funny part was that at the age of 28 yrs old I was unable to find the Civic Center simply because I had never went to the city....sheltered life indeed to say the least.

Now not much suprises me anymore and I know the entire city very well now. Birmingham is set up like a grid pattern and from what I can tell Manhattan is similiar....except has about 1 billion more cars and people. I should be ok however I am looking forward to just experiencing such a big city.

When I get the details of where we will be staying I will post them here. I do know we are not staying in the Manhattan area simply as it costs way too much. My g/f told me but I can not remember where we are staying however I do know she said it was a short ride into the city.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Manhattan above say 14th street is a grid, then there is the "village" grid and 1-2 others - where they merge can be fun.

Below Wall st, there is NO grid - have fun

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you exit the South Ferry station, on the Manhattan side, through any of the numerous doors; immediately hang a right. Go straight, cross the street, turn left, walk past the parking Garage, and keep going til you reach the end of that street. You should see a McDonald's across the street. (But don't go across the street).

At the corner, turn right and keep walking. After a short while, you should see a clock in front of you, hanging on the wall of a building. Walk past the clock. You'll see an open outdoor area just to your right. (Vietnam Veteran's Memorial). Just next to that is the widest building in all of Manhattan. (McGraw Hill / S&P building). Keep walking until you get to the end of the block. Cross the street into the small outdoor park filled with benches. The Police Museum is located at the other end of that small park.

From the start of the small park, if you just kept going straight, you'd eventually hit the cobblestoned street that leads down to the South Street Seaport. (It's a tourist spot now. Plenty of trendy shops).

Hope this helps. :)

Latest posts