Vacation to New York.....

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Yes the detailed directions help out greatly and I very much appreciate the time to post them.. I believe we are staying a night in a place called Terrytown and my g/f says it is maybe 15 to 20 minutes from the city. If I remember right she went to college there and wants to show me around there a little.

We are flying into Albany and driving a rental from there until we get close enough to catch the trains into the city. Not sure of the name of the college however I think she said it was Merrytime or something like that.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
tarrytown...sleepy hollow and the headless horseman...also could see the 5 points from gangs of new york film although its changed a bit the past century+ :grin2:

Last edited:

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a couple of quick things that should be pointed out. Last week of August, NYC is not as crowed as it usually is. Many NYC'ers leave town for their last vacation of the summer. I think I saw something about a brother, so a weekly Metro card for EACH and EVERYONE of you might not be the best idea. Ask the bro how you guys will be getting around, maybe he has a car or plans to walk you guys to places. You're a tourist, do touristy (is that a word?) things. Grab those brochures from the hotel. Catch a Broadway show. I wouldn't worry too much about finding the best pizza place or whatever.... Yes, some of those places mentioned are good eats, but I wouldn't travel across town for any of them. If they're near where you're going to be... then fine. But then again, there are good eats EVERYWHERE. Statue of Liberty, Empire State building are sorta boring, but if you want the experience, you gotta do it while your here.

edit: I read a little more and you said you like steak and someone mentioned Peter Lugers :drool:, so I will make an exception to the don't bother unless you're in the area concept. :)

Last edited:

Robocop

Well thus far the plan is to drive to North Carolina for a visit to my G/F parents home and to also drop off her little dog. We both feel better leaving the dog with family and we will fly from their to Albany. Then the plan is to drive to Tarrytown (rental car) and probably stay the night there. After visiting her brother and uncle (retired NY off the icer) we plan to visit the city areas.

I believe we will rely on public transportation to get from Tarrytown to within the city and once there use the subways and taxis to get around within the city. My g/f knows her way around there enough to navigate all the subways and stuff so basically I should be ok. After reading all of this I now have several good suggestions and I appreciate all of the help.

I may not be able to do all that I hope to do however I do hope to get to the police museum and especially the museum of natural history. I have always wanted to see in person all of those fossils I always see on The discovery Channel.....that stuff is just facinating to me. I also would really like to see the Zoo mentioned in this thread.

I have just read up on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and I had no idea this was indeed a real place. I am also now really interested in being able to visit the areas that inspired the story of the headless horseman. And we will already be very close to the area in Tarrytown. All in all this sounds like it will be a fun trip however I have realized that it would take probably years to experience the best parts of NY City.....amazing place to say the least.

After talking to my g/f tonight she told me stories of her fishing on the Hudson when she was younger. I have always enjoyed fishing and wonder if this may be something we can find the time to do.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point made by Sinjz about not going out of your way for good pizza - there are good places in almost every neighborhood, and plenty of other things to do. I do love NYC pizza!

I don't know the Tarrytown area well, but I think the time you would need to spend fishing would not be the most productive way to spend it while you're in the area. I would bet your favorite fishing holes from your area would be a lot less used than any up here.

The Bronx Zoo is well worth the trip - a lot of great stuff to see.

Not sure of the name of the college however I think she said it was Merrytime or something like that.
What a great name for a college - hope she enjoyed it. :twothumbs

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
some good freebies to know:

govenors island (ferry ride) nice hike, free kyaking and ride around the island.

staten island ferry (nice view of ny harbor, and the four waterfalls).

bronx zoo (wed. only)

bronx botanical garden. (sat. am till 12:00pm)

ny stock exchange on wall street.

trinity church: alexander hamilton, and fulton(steam ship) are buried there.

groud zero.

try www.timeoutnewyork.com for other suggestions.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
RE: Ground Zero

I never send anyone there - to me it's not a tourist spot. I've been there 2x since 9/11/01, both working with the Red Cross. I won't go down to "look around" - sorry, just me

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Ground Zero

I never send anyone there - to me it's not a tourist spot. I've been there 2x since 9/11/01, both working with the Red Cross. I won't go down to "look around" - sorry, just me

it's like a memorial for all that had fallen because of some terrorists who wanted to take away our freedom!

and on staten island on the promanade there are two large walls in the shape of two folded post cards that has all of the staten islanders that died there. many of them were firemen, police officers, really touching.
i think staten island took the most hit of the metropolitan area! there must've been atleast 500 names!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Like I said, for me - I just hate seeing people gawking at ground zero - it's like staring at a car wreck. Go to one of the memorials, fine.

Like I said, it's just me - a bit of a "raw spot" if you know what I mean. I don't need to go down to ground zero to remember 9/11. I still remember the blue sky, and that smell, plus some of the raw video we never released to "on air" (I work for one of the networks)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, for me - I just hate seeing people gawking at ground zero - it's like staring at a car wreck. Go to one of the memorials, fine.

Like I said, it's just me - a bit of a "raw spot" if you know what I mean. I don't need to go down to ground zero to remember 9/11. I still remember the blue sky, and that smell, plus some of the raw video we never released to "on air" (I work for one of the networks)

Could not agree more.

I was late to work that day. After losing colleagues and friends (I'm an insurance broker who's offices were at the towers) it is the last place I will ever go in this city and the last place I would recommend visiting. I can't watch the footage on tv and don't think I will ever be able to. The thought of people visiting and taking pictures bothers me. I think its different for people who lived and lost through it.

Tough topic.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I was at the former WTC site two weeks after the event, and quite a number of times afterwards. Believe me, it wasn't like staring at a car wreck. It was a profound, moving experience thinking of what had happened. The enormity of the event didn't hit home until I saw it in person. As time went on it looked less and less like the site of a national tragedy, and more like any other construction site. I haven't been down there for I think a year. At this point in time I get more annoyed than anything looking at it. Nearly seven years and there's still a big hole in the ground. When it happened I mentioned to people that it would probably be 20 years before it was rebuilt. I had hoped I was wrong, but more and more it's looking like I wasn't.

Regarding the news coverage, I have my own less than favorable opinion of it but it's way too OT for this thread, or even this forum.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've been to Ground Zero, twice.

Hard for me to admit this, but it has turned into a tourist spot. Last time I was there, you had tourists posing where the towers used to be.... Group photos.... Fun for the whole family. :mad:

Oh, but the best part was that one guy who sells "programs" to all the smiling tourists. (Okay, they're not really programs. It's not a sports event. But he sells high-gloss pics of Ground Zero in an album). Then again, it's been about a year since I was there. Maybe he found a new way to make money.... off of the dead.

Robocop

I have received much help with my planned trip and thank everyone for the input. I am not sure if I will visit ground zero as honestly I see enough tragedy on duty and this trip is to be a vacation for me....as such I really want to focus on good thoughts.

Out of respect for the thousands who lost friends and family, as well as the people living currently in NY I would rather not bring up the topic of ground zero. I am sure we will never forget the event however I feel this topic could turn this thread into something other than I intended.

So to get back on track I will say that I will definately visit the Natural History Museum as well as the Zoo so many mentioned. I also plan to visit a few of the area Police Stations just to see if they are really like the movies make them out to be. China Town, Little Italy and Central Park are also on my list as well as Coney Island.

In my personal situation the simple experience of the subways will be an adventure as well as entertainment. I know much of the NY day to day things are boring to the locals however to me the entire place will be exciting simply as it is so different from my simple southern upbringing.

Maybe I can get together with some of the other CPF members who live in the area. I did receive a message from another member who offered to show me around a certain section of the city. The message stated it was a unique area that was known mostly for the Russian people who live in this area.....I have always been interested in other cultures so this is also an option for me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Maybe I can get together with some of the other CPF members who live in the area. I did receive a message from another member who offered to show me around a certain section of the city. The message stated it was a unique area that was known mostly for the Russian people who live in this area.....I have always been interested in other cultures so this is also an option for me.

I know a number of spots in the city known for their Russian population.

There's also a little spot I like to call "Wonderland." (No, not the spot in Central Park). I'll be in Manhattan this weekend, and will be better able to tell you how to reach the spot; once I can confirm the cross streets.

Let's just say, it'll be a smile-inducing site to see. :thumbsup:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you're gonna have a great time RoboCop, hope your lights serve you well on the upcoming vacation!:popcorn:

Mayo

jtr1962

Flashaholic
In my personal situation the simple experience of the subways will be an adventure as well as entertainment. I know much of the NY day to day things are boring to the locals however to me the entire place will be exciting simply as it is so different from my simple southern upbringing.
I think one thing which amazes a lot of tourists is how integrated the subways are with the fabric of life here. It's perfectly natural to walk down into a hole in the ground to get from point A to point B which I guess seems strange to anyone not used to it. It's so natural in fact that whenever I travel by car it actually feels strange. I'm used to either being under the ground or perhaps 3 stories above it on an el, not AT ground level.

Another interesting thing about the subway is the redundancy. I recently visited a friend over near Coney Island. Probably about 5 different ways to get there, some involving only 1 train, others involving 2 or 3, all taking more or less the same amount of time. Many times when I travel by subway I'll take one route going, another returning, just for variety. I remember back in my high school days going I would take the E to Queens Plaza, change to the R (it was actually the N at the time), and then take the 4 at Lexington. Or sometimes take the 7 to Grand Central (the 7 Express used to be a nice roller coaster ride on the R36 Redbirds) to catch the 4. Coming home I would take the D to 7th Avenue, and then change to the E.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another interesting thing about the subway is the redundancy.

It's needed too. Imagine one line being shut down because work needs to be done on it..... Now imagine if it was the only line you could use to get home.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know a thing about the Police Museum, so that's your call. Bronx zoo is nice, I'd save the zoo for when you're in San Diego though. Seriously, if you want a NYC experience, try finding things you can't typically do outside of NYC.

I always see people standing around ground zero. I don't consider it a tourist spot either, but people do come by to stand and look. Obviously not as much of that now compared to a few years ago....

If you like this stuff (I do) Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium are a must. :) I'm thinking that, a Broadway show, some random shopping with your GF, dining at various spots, your Police Museum and station visits and your schedule is pretty much full. As to how to fill the rest, it depends on you and your GF. Clubbers? Art lovers? Just wanna look down from a really tall building? :grin2: What kind of people are you? :)

Last edited: