Vacation to New York.....

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Well Sinjz I have never drank at all and the night clubs have no interest to me on any level. I am sure the night life could be great to many in NY however it simply is not my thing. I do have a great interest in history as well as ancient relics that I may experience in area museums.

Art lover is more along the lines of my g/f as she is much more well travelled and refined than myself. Maybe she will teach me a few things about the various museums in the area. Strangely enough I am not a big sports fan at all and would never be able to sit through a game of any type. I would much rather watch the Discovery Channel than the super bowl.....

Not sure about the Broadway show scene either as again this sounds like something my g/f would enjoy much more than myself. Honestly again the different environment and crowded city should give me hours of amazement.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
when exactly are you going to be in ny?

btw, not sure how long you're going to be in albany, but you may want to check out the football giants as they practice up there, they may have already broke camp by the time you arrive.
if you are driving from albany to tarrytown you are probably taking the taconic state parkway, there are some nice look outs to pull over when you take a break.
as long as you are in westchester county, if time permits you can check out west point, irvington and north tarrytown both have something to do with washington irving.
central av. from white plains to yonkers is one giant stripmall, if you gf wants to do some shopping and you dont mind bumper to bumper traffic.
there's also a giant mall in rockland county, really crowded in the weekends, wouldn't advise it.
sing sing is in ossinning if you want to check out the prison.
if you're into bicycling, the bronx river parkway is closed on sundays for cyclists.

free $50.00 gift card: http://www.picholinenyc.com/gift-card.php In celebration of their 15th anniversary, they are offering a $50 gift card for signing up for their newsletter! stolen from slickdeals.

Gift Card Request Form
spacer.gif
home.buttons.jpg
Thank you for submitting your information. We will process your request and mail your 15th Anniversary Gift Card to you shortly.

spacer.gif

index_26.b.jpg

Last edited:

Robocop

Thank you for the links and I will be in NY the last week of August beginning on the 22nd and I believe I leave on the 29th..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With regards to the little spot I call "Wonderland," in hindsight; it's far better suited for children than adults. I forgot that you'll only be in the city for a very short amount of time. There are other spots better suited for two adults.

Sorry about that.

DaveT

Enlightened
Robocop, enjoy your visit to NYC.

I lived there for a dozen years, until about 3 years ago. One of the things that struck me most about New York was how many of the TV shows are set in NYC. I never really thought much about where a lot of them were set, but you'll see so many iconic things that are all in New York that you've seen for years in TV shows and movies.

One thing I always recommended to people (and I think you'd appreciate it, with what you said about seeing how that many people get around) is to go early in the morning - 7 a.m. or thereabouts - and get to one of the denser business areas. I used to recommend being across the street from the World Trade Center, but now I guess I'd recommend the Wall Street area - perhaps near the bull?

Get a cup of coffee and a bagel or whatever, and find a spot on the fringe - hopefully where you can sit. Then just spend a half hour or hour watching how the streets come alive with people as you approach 8 and then 9 a.m. It's kind of like watching bees swarm to a hive, fish move in schools - that kind of thing, but it's people. The WTC used to house something like 50,000 people...so if you were to get there early and watch, it was like watching a decent-sized city become populated with people. I recommend you definitely ride the subway, but it's a LOT more pleasant if you stay off the trains during the heaviest crush of rush hour...that's usually not a lot of fun.

The Museum of Natural History - absolutely one of my favorite things. I used to be able to go there on my lunch break and get in for free (corporate sponsorship)...there's something for everyone there, but the trick is getting an idea of what you like so you can linger on that. For me, the animal dioramas are magical - it's like what virtual reality wishes it could be some day. If you stare at them, you can just almost see the animals breathe. Next best for me is the oceans hall, with the blue whale hanging overhead. Then, of course, people love the dinosaurs. The problem, as with most of NYC (if you want to call it a problem), is that you could spend a couple days easily working your way just through the museum, not counting the planetarium.

I'd suggest you pace yourselves a bit, and also try to group the things you're going to see into walkable clusters. Don't expect to see 8 things in one day taking the subway downtown, then uptown, then back and forth with major walking at each location. Try to plot "we take the train in from Tarrytown, arrive at Grand Central, take the 4/5/6 line downtown to Wall Street, get out, see that, walk around, then cross to Rector St. stop and take the 1/2/3 uptown to Houston (pronounced How-stun instead of like the city in Texas) and walk around Greenwich (Grenn-ich) Village...etc. etc.

Plan to walk WAY more than you usually do, unless you do a lot of foot patrol. You might like to bring a daypack, and some bottled water. There are some great Manhattan folding maps, laminated, some of which overlay street and subway lines, and the details of Central Park - very worthwhile, as some things can be a little tricky to find.

While I think you'll really like things like the museums, Broadway show, etc., I think you might like to do some less traditional things to round out your visit. Times Square is worth seeing for the sheer spectacle, but walking all up and down and trying out the retail stores there is much more like being in a huge mall than experiencing NYC. I find the little shops and street vendors way more interesting than the big-box stores that are everywhere - Virgin Megastore, Toys R Us, etc. (OK, Toys R Us is worth seeing just for the entrance area and the dinosaur, but nothing more). The Statue of Liberty is great, but it's such a LONG journey to get across to it - huge lines, then the slow boat across, huge lines, you can't go up inside the crown anymore, huge lines, slow boat return. If you're into genealogy and/or have a family connection, Ellis Island can be great, but otherwise, a huge portion of your time will be spent waiting, looking at bored, anxious tourists rushing to get back for a show. Seeing how people live and move through NYC will teach you a lot more about the city than seeing thousands of other tourists looking at the same thing you're looking at.

Instead, try walking Canal Street from west (starting around 6th Ave. or so) to east, head north to hit some of Little Italy, then south down Mulberry and into Chinatown.

My restaurant suggestion in Chinatown would be Shanghai Cuisine at 89 Bayard on the southeast corner with Mulberry. Every bit as good as Joe's Shanghai (in my opinion) and better on some of its food, it's smaller and perhaps a bit less of a tourist destination than Joe's Shanghai, although when I went last year it seems it's become more well-known. I would absolutely recommend the crab and pork tiny buns, aka the soup dumplings. It's just a Chinese dish you're unlikely to run across in the vast majority of the Chinese restaurants in the U.S. - unique and wonderful. There are comic strips on most of the tables that teach you how to eat them (if you just bite them, it's like a pizza cheese burn on all surfaces of your mouth). They have a lot of other wonderful dishes - their pork shoulder in brown sauce is fantastic, but your girlfriend's probably not going to be into that, and that's a portion for several people to join in. Scallion pancake, eggplant in garlic sauce - lots she might choose.

Within the same block, same side of the street, there's the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory - 65 Bayard. You'll get some unusual flavors like mango, mung bean, ginger, green tea, etc. They give BIG scoops - plan accordingly.

For Italian desserts and coffees, there's Ferrara Cafe on Grand between Mott and Mulberry. It's a huge tourist draw, but the pastries are pretty good. Or, Veniero's at 342 East 11th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenue).

For steak, I'll agree with one of the earlier posters - Peter Luger Steak House is far and away the best steak I've ever had. Very old-school, worn floors and tables, it's all about the food. I went with a bachelor party of foodies - we got the steak for two, three times over, one rare, one medium rare, one medium. Sigh. Good times. However, if your girlfriend's a vegetarian, this might not be your best stop. There's very little for her there. If you do go - save your pennies.

Brooklyn - Brooklyn's fantastic - my first and last homes in NYC were in Brooklyn. The promenade in Brooklyn Heights will give you some of the best views of lower Manhattan, very lovely at night. Park Slope has its wonderful old Brownstones, and I actually like Prospect Park way better than Central Park (biased from having lived near it so many years). However, you'll run into the same problem - trying to fit so much into the amount of time you have.

People have had tons of great suggestions - I think you'll have to pick and choose those things that appeal most, and try to plot out with a street and subway map how to tackle them - and probably expect to have some things you'll have to drop from each day's plans.

Enjoy it

Dave

Last edited:

Robocop

Great post Dave and I appreciate the time to reply. Yes it seems as if I will have a full schedule and the usual tourist things would eat up most of my time. I will probably pass on many of the usual things however the natural history museum is a must do for me.

I am easy to please and really just get a thrill out of seeing new places. Like I said for a simple man who has travelled very little the city itself will be a treat. They say there is no place like NY in the world and I am sure I will find this to be the case.

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi Robocop - couple extra things I thought of for your trip to NYC.

If you do want to go to a Broadway/off-Broadway show and you're not set on seeing any one particular show, the TKTS booths are a great resource. You get pretty decent discounts on tickets for shows either that night or for the next day's matinee. It's always a crapshoot as to what's available - so there could be a lot of availability for shows you hadn't heard of or hadn't considered before. It helps to look up and see a lot of what's playing on Broadway/off-Broadway, so you have a description of what the play's about and know which sound interesting to you, rather than trying to guess between a huge list of names you've never heard of when someone in front of you in line buys the last ticket to Phantom of the Opera or whatever show you had your heart set on.

Also, there are three locations for TKTS, but most people gravitate to the one at Times Square, where the lines can be ridiculously long. The other Manhattan alternative is in the South Street Seaport area, and if you get there before it opens, the lines are (in my experience) a lot shorter than at Times Square.

Here's the link to TKTS:
http://www.tdf.org/tdf_servicepage.aspx?id=56

and here's what it says about South Street Seaport location:

At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

Hours:
For same-day evening and next day matinee performances:

Monday - Friday: 11am - 6pm
Saturday: - 11am - 6pm
Sunday: 11am - 4pm

* Matinee tickets are only sold on the day before the performance at TKTS Seaport:

Public Transportation:
By subway:
J,M,Z,2,3,4,5 to Fulton Street A,C to Broadway-Nassau.

By bus from Midtown:
M15 downtown on 2nd Avenue to South Street Seaport.

Finally, along with a good city/subway map with lots of detail on it, I'd suggest one of those $1 compasses, because if you come up from subway stations it can be hard to get your bearings, or if you're in one of the non-grid street sections of NYC, it can be a bit confusing.

Again, enjoy your vacation.

Dave

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.qualitymeatsnyc.com - I love this place for steak and the ice cream. The ice cream is phenominal, no real issue for me to sit down and eat a pint of it. They are on 58th Street and 6th Ave.

Not much else to add to this since every other New Yorker before me on CPF has commented.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One quick note.

Avoid any electronics stores on 42nd street or other tourist spots.

My but they do love ripping off the tourists.

Robocop

Wow what a time I had in the big city.....just returned home and will say it was a very nice trip. I must have taken 200 pictures and if possible will post a few later.

First I must say I was really suprised as to how wrong I was my way of thinking about NY. As a true southerner when anyone mentioned NY city I always thought of dirty alleys and crime everywhere. I quickly found out this was not the case as all the areas I visited were very nice.

Downtown Manhattan was clean and I saw no trash nor transients anywhere. There were thousands of tourists everywhere and in spite of all the traffic the whole city seemed to run very smoothly. I was very impressed with the city to say the least. My time got away from me very easy and as such I only saw a small part of the true downtown city section....none the less it was amazing.

We started out in Albany and drove through the countryside to eventually end up in Manhattan for 2 nights. I visited Saratoga as well as Hyde Park area and saw all of those historical mansions. I also went through Kingston,White Plains and Tarry Town to visit my G/Fs old school Marry Mount. Those huge mansions overlooking the Hudson were simply incredible and I was shocked to see that NY actually has many country areas that reminded me of the deep south.....beautiful actually.

The difference between downtown Manhattan and the surrounding countryside is really very interesting to me. I simply had no idea that there was so much more to NY other than the "city" I have always heard tales of.

I got to spend a night at dinner with my old co-worker who now works for NY Police (Queens 105 Precinct) and he told me much of the inner workings as to the city. My old friend also showed me several good local places for food and all of them were incredible. I did get to try a Nathans Hot Dog and there is nothing here that can compare. I also found that any old Pizza from anywhere in the city was much better than anything here as well.

I must have looked like a true southerner to all there as I kept asking for sweet tea at any place we visited for dinner. I was suprised to find that no one made sweet tea so I carried my own. I made a gallon of tea in my hotel room and yep you guessed it I carried it with me everywhere. I got many strange looks at dinner however in my opinion to be able to have my own sweet tea at dinner along with the cities great food was a perfect combination....who knows maybe I will start a trend there now with all of the city folk learning to love southern sweet tea....:laughing:

Needless to say it was a blast as well as a learning experience and thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Glad to hear you had a good time. As yopu said, all of NYC is not downtown/Midtown Manhattan, and MOST of NY State is not NYC. I love the Kingston area - go 10-15 miles west, and that's "Home away from home". With luck, I'll have a second home up there in early 2009

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I'm happy to hear you had such a great trip, hope you had fun with your lights too.

That was a very interesting report on New York, it sounds great. I live in Atlanta Georgia and have never been to to New York.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you had a good trip. Spread the word cause us city folk get tired of hearing how dangerous, etc... it is here, from country folk who've never been here. :grin2:

Gotta ask, is there a difference between sweet tea and sweetened iced tea? I had to look up sweet tea, as I've rarely heard the term, and it sound just like iced tea to me. :shrug:

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
There is nothing like ***any*** food from NYC.

Vincent's Clam Bar in Little Italy.
Stage Deli on 7th Ave.
Almost any Chinese restaurant.
Almost any restaurant.

Central Park, one of the world's great public spaces.
Metropolitan Museum of Art.
American Museum of Natural History + Hayden Planetarium.
TKTS booth near Times Sq. for discount tickets to a Broadway show.
Yankee Stadium.
Almost anywhere in lower Manhattan - south of Wall St. - a LOT of history there.
South Street Seaport.

Enjoy!
Vincent's....try the Linguine with the medium sauce and order the buscuits in Garlic and Oil

Robocop

Sweet tea here is made different and is always brewed. The sugar is usually added to warm water and the brewed tea is then added later to make just the right mix. It is frustrating to make I believe and takes more time than plain old tea so maybe many places do not wish to take the time to offer it.

The tea I found in the city was called iced tea and was never sweetened. I also found flavored teas there however they were carbonated and much different.

Robocop

I am working on the pics....I must have about 300 photos in my digital camera and am trying to figure a way to load them. My g/f has the camera now and when I get it back I will try to download a few photos

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
saw monocroms vacation thread and it reminded me that we are owed some pics :crackup: 1 year later not gettin away that easy , ya think we just gonna fuggedaboutit , just when you thought you were out we pull you back in