Waiting for the SureFire LX1...

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Surefire and they said the specs for the LX1 was 80L for 1.5 hrs and 10 for 15 hours.....disappointing. Oh well. I guess thats what the E1B is for.....

this...

i like the design of light, but just couldn't justify pulling the trigger if it turns out to be just another flavor of backup. i reckon we'll see.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The User Interface sets the LX1 apart from the likes of the E1B.
I hope there can be runtime/output charts done so these characteristics can be compared in detail rather than by manufacturer ratings that don't describe these aspects well enough for us Flashaholics

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope there can be runtime/output charts done so these characteristics can be compared in detail rather than by manufacturer ratings that don't describe these aspects well enough for us Flashaholics
+1 to that!

yuk

Newly Enlightened
To Surefire:

2alvzd.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am going to make a guess...

Lx2 was rated originally at something like 120 lumens right? actual output was closer to 200+

so Lx1 at 80 lumens, at very most, can go up to about 150 lumens maybe?

I wont be buying it for the lumens, i can say that much. The UI of the Lx1 is the real gem in this light anyway. Hopefully my milky head is competible

as for the mini, i think its an almost perfect incarnation of the pocket/keychain light UI, which is NOT something surefire is made for. So its apples to oranges, and anyway, isnt that point of this thread.

I think it IS fair for someone to find it harder and harder to hold on to money that was originaly meant for a surefire, because they also find a need/want/use for another light. I wanted to hold out for the Invictus and LX1..when they were announced...well im not holding out anymore....ill get them when i can get them if i can get them.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Other than putting the electronics in the head rather than in the end of the body tube (thus allowing I assume a smaller overall size) what is the biggest upgrade with the LX1 over the L1 Cree? Different styling and additional output (how much is subject to debate but 65 to 80 is an improvement but not a huge upgrade) but otherwise this doesn't seem to be a big leap forward.

I ask this as I have an L1 Cree and have been pondering it's fate in light of the LX1 - I'm not sure this is an upgrade that makes a lot of sense given other lights in the stable in particular.

But I admit that I like my E1L and E2L as much or more than the L1 - different UI and maybe it is just my Novatac/HDS/Arc4 affection that I am a clickie sort of person...

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Not going out on much of a limb here but any takers that the LX1 is debuted @ SHOT & available SOMETIME thereafter?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
To Surefire:

2alvzd.jpg

:thinking: Not sure what you are trying to say. But if you are peeved about waiting for the light to come out, it shouldn't be any surprise that the release date has been pushed back (again). Still waiting for their other lights cough UB3, AZ2 cough

Not going out on much of a limb here but any takers that the LX1 is debuted @ SHOT & available SOMETIME thereafter?

We can only hope! :D

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I have an L1 Cree and have been pondering it's fate in light of the LX1 - I'm not sure this is an upgrade that makes a lot of sense given other lights in the stable in particular.
I know what you mean here, I'm happy with my current L1 and would be perfectly fine with skipping a generation and getting the 'next' L1 in ~2 yrs or so. It's a backup light & not one of my primary 'users' anyway. :shrug:

knightrider

Enlightened
Just an interesting thought:

What if they are waiting for current stock of the standard L1 to sell out?

Just thought of that, probably isn't the case but something to think about.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's possible but not likely. It takes time and money to do R&D. Any company which is involved in R&D would know the costs involved and would rather churn out the new products fast to recuperate the costs involved. They could always sell the light side by side to the L1 at a difference in price until the L1 is sold out. Just my guess.

zven

Enlightened

Hmm... That is indeed an interesting thought...

It's possible but not likely. It takes time and money to do R&D. Any company which is involved in R&D would know the costs involved and would rather churn out the new products fast to recuperate the costs involved. They could always sell the light side by side to the L1 at a difference in price until the L1 is sold out. Just my guess.

I certainly agree that time and money in R&D for the LX1 would be an issue, but I do think knightrider may have a point. Personally, I'd guess that the hold-up isn't strictly in the time it takes to develop/test/etc. the LX1. Nor would I guess that they're waiting to sell it until they run out of L1 stock. Rather, I would venture to guess they scheduled their R&D time and money on the LX1 with consideration of when L1 stock would run low.

Also, I kind of doubt they'll actively sell the L1 and LX1 simultaneously. Perhaps they'll try and persuade dealers to buy up the last of the L1 stock when the LX1 is released. Or they could just keep the excess L1's around the factory to use as parts in warranty repairs of other L1's. But I doubt we'll see both the L1 and LX1 ever listed on their website at the same time.

Personally, I just can't wait to see how the LX1 stacks up to the L1 and E1B in terms of brightness and physical size...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
They could always sell the light side by side to the L1 at a difference in price until the L1 is sold out. Just my guess.

I have never seen surefire do that. Not with the any of the recent models anyway. my guess is that the dealers will have to handle a lot of the cross over

Crenshaw

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I kind of doubt they'll actively sell the L1 and LX1 simultaneously. Perhaps they'll try and persuade dealers to buy up the last of the L1 stock when the LX1 is released. Or they could just keep the excess L1's around the factory to use as parts in warranty repairs of other L1's. But I doubt we'll see both the L1 and LX1 ever listed on their website at the same time.

I have never seen surefire do that. Not with the any of the recent models anyway. my guess is that the dealers will have to handle a lot of the cross over

True. You guys do have a point there. I do notice that happening at the local dealer here in Singapore. They have a whole carton worth of the older single stage E1L stuck in the store when Surefire releases the duo output version. Now the dealer is letting go the older E1L at discounted pricing but so far there are no takers.

radu1976

Enlightened
True. You guys do have a point there. I do notice that happening at the local dealer here in Singapore. They have a whole carton worth of the older single stage E1L stuck in the store when Surefire releases the duo output version. Now the dealer is letting go the older E1L at discounted pricing but so far there are no takers.

How much are they asking for those older L1 - in US$ - ?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much are they asking for those older L1 - in US$ - ?

Not too sure how much it would cost in USD but they are letting go for S$130 each inclusive of 7% GST, terminology equivalent to VAT. Do also take note that we pay a little bit more for a Surefire than what one would pay in the US.

Hero

Newly Enlightened
Re: SF LX1 Where are you!?

I'm with you! I've been waiting for one of these. After having my LX2 for almost 2 months I'm convinced that the LX1 will be one of the best single battery lights made.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF LX1 Where are you!?

They're here.

End of story. Thread closed. :nana: