What is SureFires policy on Scratched/Damaged Lens ???

Mark2

Enlightened
Repairing a defective flashlight or replacing a cracked lens is not the same as providing spare parts at no cost for a perfectly good flashlight. If you take your concept of customer service one step further, you'll ask Surefire for a spare U2 for the U2 you bought, just in case yours gets damaged.

Off topic: Please try to refrain from calling other people silly just because they do not share your opinion. A forum is for discussion, not for telling people how silly they are for expressing their thoughts. By the way, welcome to CPF! :)

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I dont think it is in the spirit of CPF to call people ''awfully silly'' for expressing a view?

I will re-iterate my opinion that where does the distinction between hard use and deliberate abuse start and finish?

Lots of folks on CPF moan about the cost of Surefire lights and undoubtedly they are more expensive than other brands but why? My slant on this is because of the R&D and machining involved. However, there must be a cost element to cover warranty repairs etc. and I suspect that it is higher than other manufacturers precisely because it is so comprehensive?

I buy Surefire products for two reasons: 1) Because Surefire products perform to an exceptionally high standard. 2) Because Surefire do back their products up with such a good warranty.

However, where is the line drawn between me using a light in hard use and deliberately exposing it to extreme use.

If there is no distinction then one could decide to drag the light on a cord behind a truck because you want to? If it gets damaged ''what the heck'' it doesn't matter because Surefire will replace it?

I'm not suggesting that anyone babies their lights but I'm suggesting that commonsense and fair play must come into the equation? I'm confident that sooner or later Surefire will toughen up the way they deal with warranty repairs due to unnecessary costs and unnecessary claims being submitted.

It will be interesting to see how the majority of owners feel about the issue then?

Doug

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Measuring the bezel on the light and finding a clear lens protector for a rifle scope (maybe even a tip-off?) that would fit it would probably be easier and cheaper than the cost of sending the light back. And that wouldn't be bulky and is easy to remove if and when you want. It would probably take more abuse than an original SF lens as well.

Other than that, ordering a few replacement/spare lenses would also be pretty inexpensive and would avoid the delay of getting your light back in service when it does get too banged up. Much faster and easier to have a lens ready as a replacement and also it would be available on the fly.

Just a thought or three.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
So you like Surefire because of the excellent warranty/customer service... however, if anyone actually uses it you're upset because it's "cheating"? I don't follow and neither does Surefire apparently.

I work in warranty, not for Surefire, but as a supplier to the United States Air Force. We supply them parts worth thousands of dollars that are not actually under warranty. They're "cheating" us. We could be hard about it and tell them that they can't fly their missions today because the letter of the contract is what we're following. I sent them a $10,000 part the other week out of the goodness of my heart. Why? Good customer service means pleasing the customer. You want to establish a good relationship with the customer. For Surefire, it that means sending a cheap piece of plastic that will end up costing them all of a couple bucks on their end to make the customer happy, so be it. Repeat business and good relations. They help me out, I spend several hundred bucks. It's a win-win situation for both of us.

I'm also an attorney and I see this in mediation -- people think that giving up something to the other side means that you're losing out on something. You need to see that a solution that makes both parties happy is definitely real. This is one of those instances.

I really don't get the logic at all that I should feel bad about this or that this is bad practice. I guess I've seen the business and perhaps some of you all haven't (that's condescending, but there's not way to make it come off as anything but). Surefire wins, I win and everybody gets along great.

And to the person who equated getting a plastic lens with a brand new replacement flashlight -- come on, let's be realistic. The two scenarios are readily distinguishable. That's just being antagonistic.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There is a distinction between using a warranty because an item did not perform to spec or life expectancy of the item as opposed to using the warranty because you severly abuse the item and it subsequently breaks as was to be expected.
The second case is not a fair practice for reasons already stated above. Since fairness and coomon sense isn't that common any more I guess SF sees a lot of people abusing their warranty, and thus the others pay for those abusers. I do not like it.
bernie

jtice

Flashaholic
man, did I start a $hit$torm or what? :rolleyes:

As I stated, twice now, I think.
It was never my inttention to go out caving etc, using the hell out of this light,
in situations where I KNOW it will get scratched and toreup,
then turn around and ask SureFire to replace parts based on it being scratched etc.

I was curious as to IF they would do a lens replacement if I asked, and PAYED them to.
Sure, their site states the lens dont scratch, I could take it to a cave,
where it WILL scratch, and say, WTF Surefire, you lied, I want a new light.
And I bet they would agree !!!!
But thats not what I was after, and thats not what anyone else should be after.

If someone messes up the lens, calles SF, and asked about getting it replaced etc. and SF just sends them 1, or 30 extra lens, thats SF's choice,
you shouldnt imediately think that person is screwing YOU over accepting the lens.
SF is known for customer service, and backing up their lights.
I dont really think they care WHAT your complaint is, they just solve it.
and THAT is alot of what you are paying for when you buy one.
You arent paying for the other guys lens, you are paying for YOURS, should you need them.

~John

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
jtice said:
man, did I start a $hit$torm or what? :rolleyes:

haha, seriously. I'm still in shock that we actually have people upset to the point where they're willing to take up arms because the manufacturer has such good customer service :xyxgun:. I hate it when companies try to please the customer!!!! :wow:

dougmccoy

Enlightened
For the record I actually love it here! I enjoy the discourse and banter and I can easily take a load of you disagreeing with my point of view. Does this alter my perception of this issue? No!

Perhaps it is my British, no, my European perspective that makes me feel this way? At any rate, I am glad that John (Jtice) has clarified his posting and I acknowledge that he did offer to pay for Surefire to replace a damaged lens.

Perhaps I owe him an apology for not acknowledging this earlier? If so, I do so with pleasure!

Fraternally

Doug

MongoMadness

Newly Enlightened
Well if you aren't going to purposely scratch your lens and then send it to Surefire for free warranty replacement then I WILL!

What would cost SF the most for me to scratch?

nc987

Enlightened
Surefire should be responsible for defects or problems that arise in their flashlights that are subjected to normal use.

Surefire should not be expected to replace parts that happen because of wear and tear or abnormal use. Lens, O rings and things of this manner will go old, get scratched and need to be replaced from time to time and surefire should be expected to pick up the tab on these items for their customers.

Asking Surefire to replace parts of flashlights that go bad or get worn due to normal use is ridiculous. Thats like asking a car dealership to paint your car after the paint starts to fade or replace your brakes when they get worn down.

In this topic theres two types of people. Those that take advantage of others, and those that dont.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
nc987 said:
Surefire should be responsible for defects or problems that arise in their flashlights that are subjected to normal use.

Surefire should not be expected to replace parts that happen because of wear and tear or abnormal use. Lens, O rings and things of this manner will go old, get scratched and need to be replaced from time to time and surefire should be expected to pick up the tab on these items for their customers.

Asking Surefire to replace parts of flashlights that go bad or get worn due to normal use is ridiculous. Thats like asking a car dealership to paint your car after the paint starts to fade or replace your brakes when they get worn down.

In this topic theres two types of people. Those that take advantage of others, and those that dont.

I'll have to tell that to the air force next time they need a part for one of their birds :laughing:.

I'm in the first group!!!!! :devil:

nc987

Enlightened
To be clearer. Theres a difference between a part being defective and something being worn down.

I dont want what I said being misinterpreted.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF should have a set price for these repairs. And has anyone scratched the lens? (isn't it AR coated on both sides, which will scratch fairly easily?)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Geez. Give me and Jtice a break. I have a Z2? lens was melting I got it used I contacted a person a SF they sent me a replacement none of anybodys bidness just between me and them. Jtice stated he offered to pay for a fix, did he lie?? I think not. Did SF have the chance to say No? I think they had the chance to say no freebies here you have to buy one. Did they say "no problem we will just rip off Topper next time he buys something" I think no is the answer for that. Do you think I got an inside track and told SF "If Jtice calls fix him up" Nope if anyone thought that they were misstaken. SF has hacked me off waiting for some items SF lights cost more than I wish to pay.
When SF does somthing "out of the way"?? like backing the product Well I guess if that floats your boat then get unhappy about it. I have goofed up an blown MANY SF lamps, I have never ever contacted them to see if they would "fix me up" I have a MN21 that is strange looking ;I did nothing I think it was bad from the start no big deal it is only money I would have spent anyway no contact with SF. Now If I drop one of my SF lights and it breaks?? You bet your last Dollar I will contact them to see if they will "fix me up" no cost to you other folks that view this in another light. We all have thoughts only a few choose to share them
Topper