What is your FAVORITE light period?

dallas

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Lambda camp light expecting it to be a sensible 5W luxeon, but it kicks *** and beats the megaclops??? Nah, still got to go with the SNII, and still feeding it that lithium.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
3 million candlepower vector sport dual beam handheld spotlight....you should see the neighbors reactions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Looking at the title of this thread, I'd say my my favorite light period ranges from dusk 'till dawn... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
If I had to get rid of every light but a few, the ones I would defend with my life are as follows, in no particular order.

M-6
E2E
McLux
LSH-P
ARC-AAA

These cover all my lighting needs. I could not narrow this list down to just 1-light even if I had to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Longstreet

Newly Enlightened
My Milwaukee 18v rechargeable worklight. Lots of power, good throw, long run-time, and a decent light pattern for all-around use. I hate to think what it's going to cost me when that big battery wears out, though.

I've owned a couple of Mag-Lights, and I like them, but the spots and holes in the pattern always bug me. Some bulbs work better than others, but it's never as clean as I would like.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Longstreet.

If you like the Milwaukee like it is, you should try modding it to an luxeon configuration.
I've not seen a mod on any of the work lights made by cordless tool manufacturers.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't think it is possible to have one favorite. This ain't like Ice Cream or Tennis Shoes man, this is LIGHT!!!

That said...

Pretty much any time I have a belt on, I have an original M*g holster with a rather beat up 15 plus year old black Mini fixed up with a Madmax and a RAM tailswitch. It's also loaded with 1850mAh NimHs. It is plenty bright but it's a bright FLOOD of light. Mine is a pink pinkish, but who cares?

But I have one light each from Electrolumens and Mr. Bulk too. One favorite? NOT POSSIBLE!!!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmmm,
My favorite light (meaning you could only have one), need to list my requirements
Must be bright
Flood and focused beam
Use alkalines or rechargables (can't have lithiums on military aircraft)
Must be LED as bulbs blow out
Interchangable color filters for blackout conditions
Locking tailswitch
Regulated for max brightness
Small to hide it in a shoe
Run on AA batteries (available world-wide)
Look inexpensive so it won't be stolen
Cost under $100
Cheap to replace host if damaged
Last a few hours on batteries
Be made of aluminum to cool regulators/LED
Have rubber grips on barrel for "grippability"

The great thing as I have one of those lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The Brinkmann Legend 2AA with Badboy 400 Q3L (coming soon to replace BB500) with NX05 optics, McFlood optics for flood and head removal for candle mode. Runs on 2 AA alkalines, has color filters for blackout, multiple optics, runs cool, regulated LED so it won't blow a bulb or attract insects, has rubber inserts in the barrel, locking tailswitch and people think it is a "normal" flashlight so it will not walk off.

Heck, even the Kurds love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
(can't have lithiums on military aircraft)

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light period for a long time has been ... the last light I bought. No wait! It's the next one I'm trying to buy! Aw heck. Okay, I'm hopeless. Nevermind; Regular people don't understand the attraction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl, supposedly the military has had a few incidents of lithium batteries blowing holes in things at certain altitudes and have now banned them on flights unless they are kept in a special container. I don't know much more but maybe benthead will enlighten us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl,
It would seem that the early lithiums had problems with explosion, burning and venting problems. The military does not get excited with one or two cells in a flashlight or watch but will sieze a case of them! If you were gone for 3 to 6 months were your flashlight would be used for a couple hours a day, would you only bring a cell or two?
Those military cargo planes carry explosives, bombs and the like and they get a little touchy about fire. It maybe overkill, but better to be paranoid about what goes in the plane.
Another medic (I am a medical person) told me a story about his flight into Iraq on a cargo plane. It would seem that they took anti-aircraft fire on the trip in and the pilot changed course to land in another country. They hit the ground, slammed on the brakes and the pilot yelled "Get the **** off my airplane" and he started running. Everyone else started running with the medic getting off last. As he ran, he glanced back and noted that the plane was dumping fuel out of tanks pierced with bullet holes.
Lesson learned: When the pilot starts running, follow him! The other being don't bring lithiums onboard. Can't complain to a loadmaster that is heavily armed as he grabs your case of lithiums. Their night vision goggles use AA Duracells so I will take their word for it.
Hope that helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
A gift from Paul Kim, THE MASTER. The statement is the reason. And I *DO* know how undeserving yet fortunate I am! I mention this as a tribute to him and what he has done and will do in the pursuit of better illumination tools. Behind the marketing, hype and big business are a few people with vision striving to enhance the vision of others.

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Don: So,what light?

Mine's the M3.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tom,

More significant than the light itself was the trust included. Suffice it to say that it's a pre production prototype of something I hope we all can use and enjoy in the near future.

- Don

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Favorite lite? My Blaster III. Favorite carry are MM, & MM+. Favorite carry out of house will be my LSH-P+. I am fickle. Bill

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My favorite would be my Arc LS. It's amazing that so much light can come out of such a small package. My first LS light was a Maglite 2D modded with an LS and 3C cells, but it's not as bright as my Arc and it certainly won't fit in my watch pocket. The Surefire E2e would be in a very close second place.

robk

Enlightened
1. Homemade ZLT MiniMag @ 550mA with Q2 High Dome 1W LS/NX-05 optic
2. Homemade 5Watt LS/30mm optic/6AA NiMH with 0.5 ohms in Mag 2D body (The Blinder)
Rob