Where did all the oldtimers go.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real old-timers would've been here for a decade now. That's a long time to expect anyone to stay active and interested in a website.

I'm coming up on that ten year mark in January. I probably lurked for a good 8-9 months before that though. I've been on my forum for a little over 11 years now, but it's pretty clear that it gets most of my attention. At least it's not just a bunch of strangers left when I'm not on for a few weeks or a couple months...

greenLED: Are there any Italian pistols in your safe?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
The real old-timers would've been here for a decade now. That's a long time to expect anyone to stay active and interested in a website.
Joined in December of 2000. I'm still here, although, as you can see from my post count, I read FAR more than I post. Given what I know as compared to what some others here know, I'd say that's a good thing. :)

I remember when I first joined, I could read all the new posts on all the threads in the entire forum, every single day, and keep all the active conversations in my head. Yeah, it's been a while since that could happen. :D

cy

Flashaholic
have not posted a lot last several years... but this is one of the few threads been keeping track of

still have world's largest cache of ARC parts. amazingly still getting calls for those ARC pieces.
can't change ARC's place in history as world's first production Luxeon light.

fyrstormer

Banned
Joined in December of 2000. I'm still here, although, as you can see from my post count, I read FAR more than I post. Given what I know as compared to what some others here know, I'd say that's a good thing. :)

I remember when I first joined, I could read all the new posts on all the threads in the entire forum, every single day, and keep all the active conversations in my head. Yeah, it's been a while since that could happen. :D
Heh. Not sure it's really worth keeping track of all the active conversations anyway. There's a whole lot of "which cheap junk should I buy?" and "my cheap junk broke, what should I do now?" conversations floating around. Lots of topical redundancy. I've been here a little under three years now and the majority of the topics are mind-numbing to me, with really interesting topics few and far between.

I suppose it doesn't help my level of interest that I found a light I like so much I've EDCed it for almost a year and a half without getting tired of it. Modding is the part of this hobby that really holds my interest nowadays.

Last edited:

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, havn`t been in here for such a long time. Dropped by to see what was occurring mainly out of a sense of nostalgia - good to see it`s all still here.

Unfortunately these days, despite a continuing interest in lighting of all sorts and still being a prolific collector of lamps, gear, fixtures, old and new, I don`t really keep track of the latest torch/flashlight technology any more, and most of what I`ve just read this morning has gone right over my head! Still, my current favorite in almost daily use is a TrustFire TR-3T6, has 3x Cree XM-L, three brightness levels plus a seizure-inducing strobe mode for good measure, powered by two 18650s. Got it from Ebay a year or so back and was very impressed given the relatively low cost, that thing is ridiculously bright and still going strong.

Anyway, been interesting to drop by again after all this time, maybe I`ll be back in another few years.....?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^

Well said!

the xp-g2 looks to have alot of promise

then the xp-r?
..xp-r2

ect.
ect...;)

I'm digging the XM-L for overall beam pattern... and Nichia 219 for color rendition (though XM-L really does pretty nicely)... and XT-E has impressed me lately in my projects! Beautiful, beautiful beam and tint. Nothing wrong with the XP-G2 of course, plus some others I'd like to try...

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made the following statement my byline and yes it is a play on word spelling. Time wounds all heels. I have been around here for a few moons. hope to be around for a few more.

da.gee

Enlightened
Coming up on my five year anniversary at the end of the month. CPF was still small enough you could read nearly all the posts if you wanted to. Got here when things really were getting interesting with LEDs. Quantum leaps were being made it seemed and modders were key to getting the latest and greatest. Now you have any number of vendors with the latest LED differentiated marginally by UI and ocassionally form factor. Now just a scanner for interesting items. Maybe four new lights a year vs. four per month. :) XP-G2 has piqued my interest and the Nichia 219. Good to see some of the old oldies still around.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
How many CPF Elders are still left? (early 2000's)

Just wanted to see how many members from the early 2000's there are left here... It was much different back then, LED's? what the heck are those? HAHA. Anyways, if I remember correctly, CPF was started sometime in the year 2000, I was lurking for quite some time before joining in 2001. Back then there were no "digital" flashlights, incandescent lights ruled, heck I remember when Surefire released the E2 and revolutionized the "EDC" concept.

Awe the good ol' days.... growing up with CPF all these years I remember collecting different colors of Mag AA flashlights (OMG, I really did that? LOL). I still remember owning my very first Surefire, it was a 6P. All round, incandescent and the concept was considered "crazy" by my friends because the Duracell DL123a batteries it used were expensive and unconventional. I remember having ARC AAAs from HA models to UV ones before the whole Maglite "Incident". I remember buying a Surefire M6 from Arizona Gun Runners for $165 :-O

What do you remember doing in the early CPF days? What were you collecting, what was your passion, etc? How has that changed now?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's already a thread about old-timers:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/100953