Wolf Eyes: an underrated brand?

computernut

Enlightened
I hadn't really looked at detail at Wolf Eyes. I just checked out their website and I think the Guider looks quite nice. I might have to pick one up at some point.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
I am not so sure that WE is "underrated" as it is under advertised! Nice color catalogs with customer experience stories and full page ads in major magazines make a huge difference in product recognition. Also, governmental purchases and departmental adoptions increase brand recognition, and good customer service doesn't hurt either. It would probably take a major commitment by the WE manufacturer to advertise their products in the U.S. rather than relying on importers of their lights to carry the load. In summary, if people don't know about WE products they are unlikely to buy them, and as long as they rely on flashoholics for the purchase of WE products, they will be minor players in the flashlight world.

325addict

Enlightened
These are all good points indeed... ever saw an ad for WE products?? I didn't... and the Dutch distributor isn't very active and/or helpful too.... O wanted to buy some parts (extenders, lamp assemblies, tailcaps etc etc) but the only reply I got was: "the plant is closed now, I'll contact you later".
And you think, he ever contacted me? Nope... I tried it a second time, no reply at all.
Now I bought them at PTS flashlights as he seems to be very good. Let's try it and give him a chance... but it shouldn't be necessary to buy this stuff in the USA as a Dutch guy :sick2:
Now, I need to bother "youfoundnemo" again, to forward these things to me... what if I didn't know him?

BTW, the WE site isn't overly clear too... do you know, what lamps will go exactly in what flashlight, and what tailcaps can be combined with a certain light? I just TRIED to fit my only M90 tailcap to an Eagle 4... and it fits! So I ordered one. The tailcap of an MC-E Sniper doesn't fit, this one is shorter, leaving the O-rings exposed...

But all these small inconveniences don't back me off of Wolf Eyes, every time I see some new light of them (M300, this "whale", the Boxer 24W) I always think: "GOT to have them!!"
Until now, I only have the M90, the MC-E Sniper, and the E4 Eagle Turbo...
This Whale, M300 and Boxer are HUGELY tempting, until now I could resist... but one day, I'll buy at least one of them :green:

Timmo.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 9DX D36 incan from PTS when they first came out. It is my only WE flashlight.

I have been very happy with the light. I have used it with two 18500's and three CR123 primaries with great results.
Robocop is correct, the 9DX is around the same size as my SF 8NX Commander. The 9DX gives me much more flexibility as a rechargeable and primary battery option . The D36 size bulb gives better throw and puts out a great beam.

My only complaint now is that the clicky tailcap that came with it is acting up. Sometimes the light doesn't go on on the first click and needs to be clicked several times.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 9DX D36 incan from PTS when they first came out. It is my only WE flashlight.

I have been very happy with the light. I have used it with two 18500's and three CR123 primaries with great results.
Robocop is correct, the 9DX is around the same size as my SF 8NX Commander. The 9DX gives me much more flexibility as a rechargeable and primary battery option . The D36 size bulb gives better throw and puts out a great beam.

My only complaint now is that the clicky tailcap that came with it is acting up. Sometimes the light doesn't go on on the first click and needs to be clicked several times.

All this talk has certainly got me interested! The 9DX versatile since you can use different batteries types in it. Wondering it there is there a LED upgrade for it? I'd like to be able to swap LED/Incan based on the task at hand.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there is however I am not certain. There is something about also having to get a replacement bezel for the incandescent 9DX sized for the LED.

If you don't already have an incan version to upgrade, WE makes a full on LED model as well.

LED model here.
This model is the least expensive option that doesn't come with a rechargeable kit. If you have your own 18500's & charger you are good to go.

Even if you only use CR123's, the LED version is much more efficient than the incan version. You will get three times the runtime off a set of 3 batteries over the incan version.

325addict

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes, as well as Lumens Factory make D36 sized LED drop-ins. But be aware that not all of them may accept 9V!
Please do your homework regarding that.
If I remember correctly, at least the Lumens Factory drop-in will accept 9V.

But, again, as I'm more an incan-guy, I don't exactly know the specs of these drop-ins.
The only thing I know of the MC-E Sniper is that it is insanely bright, and has three very usable settings.... for me, this one is my emergency light. I KNOW this drop in doesn't accept over 6V!

Timmo.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes, as well as Lumens Factory make D36 sized LED drop-ins. But be aware that not all of them may accept 9V!
Please do your homework regarding that.
If I remember correctly, at least the Lumens Factory drop-in will accept 9V.

But, again, as I'm more an incan-guy, I don't exactly know the specs of these drop-ins.
The only thing I know of the MC-E Sniper is that it is insanely bright, and has three very usable settings.... for me, this one is my emergency light. I KNOW this drop in doesn't accept over 6V!

Timmo.
All Lumens Factory D36 LED drop-ins accept 9V. They all range from 3.6V to 13V or 6V up to 13V.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart.php?cat_id=3&sub_cat_id=8

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no question they are great lights. I have given away several Raiders as gifts and thier owners are ever so satisfied. I own besides the raider an M300 Lion.

And, when the time came for a warranty service on the M300 due to a bulb failure the response was great.

Both dealers members here in CPF (Mike at PTS and GlenC are great people and will go out of their way to help a customer.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there is however I am not certain. There is something about also having to get a replacement bezel for the incandescent 9DX sized for the LED.

If you don't already have an incan version to upgrade, WE makes a full on LED model as well.

LED model here.
This model is the least expensive option that doesn't come with a rechargeable kit. If you have your own 18500's & charger you are good to go.

Even if you only use CR123's, the LED version is much more efficient than the incan version. You will get three times the runtime off a set of 3 batteries over the incan version.

Thanks for the info guys, you sure got me hooked. Now I'm still deciding between a incan or LED. ;)

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys, you sure got me hooked. Now I'm still deciding between a incan or LED. ;)

One of each would be a bare minimum.....A staple must, the Rattlesnake M90 with one of the extenders and also get the M100 head for throw.....In the LED, start with the Sniper and Q5 multi level unit, very useful and reliable.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired a 6AX Sniper, which I won on another forum a few weeks ago...I LOVE this light! :rock:

This thing is easily the beefiest light I own! And I have a lot of great lights, including an SF 6P, 9P, and a couple of G2s. I have the Q5 4 level drop-in and it has probably the most usable beam profile I have seen...a good sized hotspot, with a very bright spill. It's the perfect compromise between throw and flood. And it has great runtime on a single 18650, even on the highest level. Tell you one thing...if TSHTF, I will most likely grab my Sniper as I run out the door! :thumbsup:

Not sure WE is underrated, but I am surprised they aren't more popular than they are.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure WE is underrated, but I am surprised they aren't more popular than they are.

Perhaps they are more of a quiet achiever? I remember reading recently that WE products were the preferred issue for an interstate EMS here and though I only own a WE D26 multimode drop in, I'd happily purchase one if it met my requirements :thumbsup:

FWIW I couldn't be happier with the drop in either (nice beefy heatsinking) :D

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a WE fan for years. I have 1, 2, and 3 18650 setups. The Pila G3L (a WE Raider) was my first quality light.

I've been looking lately for a D36 led that produced more of a floody beam than a thrower. A warm MCE/P7 would fit the bill nicely.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a WE fan for years. I have 1, 2, and 3 18650 setups. The Pila G3L (a WE Raider) was my first quality light.

I've been looking lately for a D36 led that produced more of a floody beam than a thrower. A warm MCE/P7 would fit the bill nicely.
The Wolf-Eyes 9AX Raider is the best bargain on the market, hands down. At only $44.95 it's a steal! It comes with a forward clicky tailcap, 3xCR123, the excellent Wolf-Eyes D26 9V lamp assembly and its body tube can accept 18mm (2x18500 li-ion cells) batteries. Not to mention it can take countless P60 lamp assemblies or LED modules such the the Malkoff M60. No other model or brand can beat that at this price.

Check it out: http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-140-4-13-6018

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
And...
The Wolf Eyes 9DX Raider Tactical Flashlight has all the same features but with the larger D36 head and bulb is only $7 more.