Wolf Eyes: an underrated brand?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
And...
The Wolf Eyes 9DX Raider Tactical Flashlight has all the same features but with the larger D36 head and bulb is only $7 more.
Good catch! I did not know the 9DX could take standard D36 lamps or LED drop-ins. Very nice host for the new Lumens Factory IMR-D36 Lamp Assemblies...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is my understanding that when you upgrade from the incan 9DX to the D36 LED dropin, you also need to get a replacement bezel sized to handle the larger lamp assembly. PTS can confirm or deny this. I also think that PTS is including the new bezel in the price of the LED, but again, I would confirm this.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly, when you check out the drop-ins on Gene's website, he makes it clear that many if not all aren't compatible with Wolf-Eyes.

mdocod

Flashaholic
On commenting about the D36 LED modules...

I haven't used a wolf-eyes module, but do have the LF Mirror finish module.

In my personal opinion, while this module would be a nice power saving alternative in a pinch, it does not even come close to competing with even the lowest powered incan modules in LFs D36 lineup....

I think the reason that the LF LED module just doesn't impress me, is that it is using the same reflector shape, (or something very close to it) as the incan modules. In an incan application, shallower reflector designs work fine and generate plenty of throw because you still have a large percentage of the light emitted from the filament reflecting off of the reflector (filament emits light in all directions evenly, not just on a "half" sphere with higher concentrations in areas that aren't reflected at all, so the spill to beam balance as far as how much light energy in each is different)..... Anyways, as a result of the reflector design, while the beam shape is very tight like one would expect a thrower design to have, the intensity in that beam isn't anywhere near as high as found on dedicated "thrower" style LED designs that use deep reflectors to get as much of the light as possible into the beam rather than in a ~72 degree spill beam... So it's like using a D26 module with less of the total lumens in the central beam, a wider spill size, and tighter central beam that doesn't really makeup for the lack of lumens that are in that beam...

Comparing an SR-9L vs the D36 MF module outdoors is almost hilarious. The SR-9L, only rated 320 bulb lumen, which should translate to about the same amount of torch lumens as a typical R2 module, absolutely squashes the LED module on all fronts of usefulness IMO. The beam pattern is throwy on the SR-9L, but much wider in total, with a smooth transition to spill. The peak lux of the SR-9L is actually higher than the MF because more of the lumens emitted from the filament are "captured" into the central beam. So what you have is a beam that wide enough to actually illuminate targets at range (not just a "laser" of light), that is brighter throughout. The spill beam intensity on the SR-9L is of course lower than the LED version, but this is actually a good thing for this lamps intended application, as overwhelmingly bright spill light is not desirable if you are trying to see what is being illuminated by the central beam.

Yea, there is a big difference in runtime, the MF would run for a solid 4-5 hours on a pair of 18650s, while the same pair of 18650s would run the SR-9L for about 90 minutes... After using the 2 side by side, I think most people would agree that it would be worth carrying the spare batteries :)

-Eric

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having replaced many of my Surefire's with Malkoff LED's, I'm still using the stock WE D36 incan bulb in my WE 9DX. If you run it off two 18500's it is very economical. It's a great incan light. Inexpensive, tough, bright, "throwey" and versatile.

I keep the CR123 primaries around as a backup for when the rechargeables go out or for when I think I will need extended runtime without resupply.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My post refered to LED drop ins.
Norm

Got ya,.........Having used all kinds of LED drop-ins, I really don't see why you would bother with anything other than the WE ones anyway, they are reliable, well balanced beams and mostly close to neutral white.

Latest posts