Remember the kid that flew his plane into the skyscraper?

Greta

Flashaholic
Greg,

I guess I'm missing it... I still don't see it as anything more than a suicide...
icon3.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's still a suicide but the motives are now highly in question.
My point was that the press had none of the facts when they ran with their story.
Only later was it found out that the boy's father had direct links to terrorism and now these facts come out about the boy himself.
There's no smoking gun but it's cetainly not as cut and dried as the press claimed it to be.

MicroE

Enlightened
Most of the information that the press transmits immediately after ANY event is wrong. Maybe they get the NFL scores correct, but that's probably the only thing they get right.
Always read the follow-up stories.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
If you're familiar with the geography of the area, it seems a little less sinister and certainly not like a planned attack. MacDill AFB is very easy to stumble into from Clearwater if flying aimlessly around tampa bay. Anyway, what more sensational way to committ suicide than being shot down for buzzing hangars?
Also, IF I remember correctly, the father's links to terrorism were later found to be pretty tenuous and mostly a result of media hysteria. (Although I'm not 101% sure of this point and will stand corrected)

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by MicroE:
Most of the information that the press transmits immediately after ANY event is wrong. Maybe they get the NFL scores correct, but that's probably the only thing they get right.
Always read the follow-up stories.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very true. I've been privy to the "inside story" of several local TV worthy stories, and each and every single time, they get the facts about 180 degrees wrong. It's like they have an instinct to screw up.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't read the Wall street Journal, but some one sent me an article about the increase in the number of people roasting coffee at home, and the article concluded that roasting coffee beans "smell like burning rubber" -- ??????!!!!!!!! --
that's why I don't rely on "the news" for my take on reality --

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Here's a recent example:
From the Tampa Tribune: "...has a 20 year arrest record".
From the St. Pete Times: "... was arrested for DUI in 1982"
And of course the WSJ, being a corporate flak sheet, had to qualify their article with the "burning rubber" remark. They wouldn't want to risk offending one of their masters by implying that roasting your own coffee was an acceptable alternative to buying the corporate brands.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, if paranoid is the feeling that everyone is out to get you, what's the feeling called that everyone is incompetent and is much more likely to kill you by accident?
smile.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Albany Tom:
Well, if paranoid is the feeling that everyone is out to get you, what's the feeling called that everyone is incompetent and is much more likely to kill you by accident?
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Normal.
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon15.gif

Dan

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if the kid [who was flying the plane] was a Seattle driver, I'd say he was talking on his cell phone and reaching for a latte at the moment that he flew into the building. That would also explain his behavior over MacDill AFB.:^D

Dan