What should I get myself for x-mas?

RdlyLite

Enlightened
I have held out as long as can on buying a new light for some time now. Mostly it has to do with my skinny wallet but I plan on rewarding myself for a positive year. I currently own a LP D-mini, LP Tactical M1, a stock 4d and 2d mags. Im looking at getting 'wowed,' if at all possibile with my new light. :thinking: The budget is up to $150 total.

What are your recommendations?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for both CRESCENDOPOWER's and Sigman's above recommendations. However..... while the high level of build quality and simple extreme functionality of the Surefire will make you go wow.... and the gloriously wonderful beam quality of the NovaTac will have you laying in bed at night staring at your ceiling and going .....wow, I somehow wonder if you weren't really looking for more of a WOW kind of light.

You might consider keeping your eyes open on B/S/T and the CPF Marketplace for either a nice used Barn Burner.... or maybe a 10 watt HID. Might be just the ticket.

Personally, I'm happy with the more subtle, but longer lasting and ultimately more gratifying wow of my finely crafted NovaTac 120P pocket light, which I get to play with everyday..... but viva la difference..... and happy hunting.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
May I suggest a Surefire P-60 light such 6P, C2 or M2 upgraded with a Cree drop-in, such as bugoutgear or Malkoff devices:grin2:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you're after or need, but imho the Dereelight DBS Q5 2stage digital for 120USD is a great wow-light, at least when it comes to throw in small package. Even brighter than the 3stage Q4 in WadeF's great review.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177261

And easily upgradeable with Dereelights system for changing the LED-pill.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides being WOW'ed....What do you want to use the light for? There are definitely a lot of WOW! lights out there, and the two Sigman suggested are two of the best. Do you want to use it for EDC, night stand duty, walking the dog at night, or just playing around with in the back yard?

My 6P, 9P, and M2 all WOW! me, and all of them are very versatile. I can use them as either incan up to 380 lumens, or LED up to whatever the latest and greatest P60 style LED drop-in offers. I just put the BOG Q5 in my 9P, and I am definitely WOW'ed. And just to be fair, the 380 lumen incan drop-in really makes me go WOW! every time I turn it on also. All 3 of those fit in your price range.

If you want a light that will throw a bright as hell white light saber beam up to about 800 feet, the Tiablo A9S Q5 will WOW! you. If you want a little pocket rocket that will WOW! you every time you turn it on....the beam coming through the TIR optic of the L1 will fit that bill. If you want a small light that you can program up to four levels of your choice (which makes me go WOW! in itself), but has a great beam also....the Novatac 120P will do it for you.

As you will find out, there are many, many choices for lights that make you go WOW! But, as you can also see, these lights can also have other practical uses besides being just a WOW! light. If you are on a strict budget, I would pick something that is tough, small enough to EDC, and moddable. Good luck in your search.

Rob Bond

BTW....Check out the link in my signature to see some of the lights that WOW! me :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
First thing that I thought of was an HID although the $150 budget may be limiting. If you have a need for a HID spotlight, they sure are fun. Otherwise the L1 is a great EDC if you looking for that kind of light. :)

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Wow! Guys... I knew I could count on you all. Some very interesting options are available to me. There are a few things that I can say for sure. Although a HID or spotlight type light will wow me, its not to practical for me... right now. :naughty: I like edc's types but I do appreciate nice beams and good throw as I use my lights mainly when I walk the pooch near our local waters.

My first surefire?!?! That would be rather interesting... Just to see what all the fuss is about. I have seen them in person but I actually haven't used one. :thinking:

Ledninja- Lol. Im a little embarrassed to say this but I dont have but a cheap button cell led light on the chain. Go figure... And that does indeed sound like an area I may upgrade.

I got some researching to do. Hehe.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a zebralight headlamp
http://www.zebralight.com/

best task/flood light and one of my favorite new lighting tools
and the p4 version is 45 shipped
a different but equal kind of wow

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ledninja- Lol. Im a little embarrassed to say this but I dont have but a cheap button cell led light on the chain. Go figure... And that does indeed sound like an area I may upgrade.
I was thinking more along the lines of an Arc AAA DS, Fenix L0D CE, Photon Freedom - not the cheap Faux-tons.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Dereelight DBS. Also a good choice if you don't have an HID would be the n-30 model. $150, I believe. 4 pounds, built in led light too.

I think Battery station may be selling them now.

Burgess

Flashaholic
First, Santa needs to know . . . .

Have u been a good boy ? :santa:

Next, we've gotta' know:

What u already HAVE, and

what u are looking for.

Just as a stab-in-the-dark, how about the
Maha C-9000 Battery Charger/Analyzer,
along with a stack of Sanyo Eneloop NiMH's.

Best part is, then you'll hafta' buy a buncha' fancy new
flashlights to USE these batteries. :devil:

_