What is the brightest flashlight?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
FalconFX,

At least my KenRad *Looks* like a flashlight.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

The Long Arm could've been an awesome, sexy searchlight, with the looks and the ruggedness, but had mucho disappointments in performance...

I'd say as far as regular non-HID flashlights go, a HOLA M6 is probably the brightest. Unless, of course, you count spotlights, which then would probably be the 3MCP Vector (???)...

There are a few lights that were presented here by a "persona non grata" to CPF now, but they are probably the brightest flashlights right now (M10 Comet)...

Size15's

Flashaholic
It doesn't flash though or does it?
Instant-starting is also a "flashlight" characteristic in my opinion.
I don't consider HID to be flashlights unless they can instant-start and be flashed.

My use of "flashlight" also means a torch that you hold by the body so handles and pistol grips mean I don't consider them flashlights.

So for me I think there is a difference between a flashlight and a lantern or spotlight.

Al

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Dictionary.com - Flashlight

1. A small portable lamp usually powered by batteries.
2. A brief brilliant flood of light from a photographic lamp.
3. A bright light, as of a signal lamp, that flashes at regular intervals.
4. A small portable battery-powered electric lamp

So under the common definition of flashlight, I would say a "spotlight" is very much a flashlight IMHO.

So any one of those 1+ million CP "spotlights" are the brightest flashlights period.

If you want a flashlight that you don't need huge muscles to operate, based on my short CPF life seems to be the SF M6. Anyone know how it compares to one of those vectors?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X990 will not strobe or be put on momentary. But then again, it's never meant for "tactical" purposes. Don't confuse this guy with the UKLC100... Even though it's slow coming on at first fire-up, when it initially starts, it's already brighter than an M6.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The X990 functions, and is utilized, just like any flashlight: handheld at the body and cordless.

Of course, if you make a flashlight that's powerful enough, it won't be called a flashlight anymore: more like spotlight or searchlight...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
stangster said:
Dictionary.com - Flashlight

1. A small portable lamp usually powered by batteries.
2. A brief brilliant flood of light from a photographic lamp.
3. A bright light, as of a signal lamp, that flashes at regular intervals.
4. A small portable battery-powered electric lamp

So under the common definition of flashlight, I would say a "spotlight" is very much a flashlight IMHO.

So any one of those 1+ million CP "spotlights" are the brightest flashlights period.

If you want a flashlight that you don't need huge muscles to operate, based on my short CPF life seems to be the SF M6. Anyone know how it compares to one of those vectors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your definition of flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But, the X990 is roughly 7 million candlepower, most 1-3 MCP spotlights don't even put out what they claim. A good 3MCP spotlight is really bright though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't flash though or does it.
Instant-starting is also a flashlight characteristic in my opinion.
I don't consider HIDs to be flashlights unless they can instant-start and be flashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it cannot be flashed (I think I know what you mean by that term), nor can it be instant-started. It takes about 8 seconds for the X990 to achieve maximum brightness. So, by your definition, it indeed is not a flashlight. But its not really a spotlight either. I don't use the pistol grip configuration - I prefer it to be extended horizontally all the way, so it looks more like a flashlight. I describe it to my non-flashaholic friends and acquaintances as a one. It is less confusing to the uninitiated to call it that. Besides, I like to think of it as a flashlight. McCullock markets it as one (though that obviously doesn't prove anything).

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps I feel that flashlight as a term for a Photon and an X990 with everything inbetween is too broad.

In case you are wondering I'm not saying this so that a SureFire comes out on top (because I don't think one can)
Certainly once we decide what a flashlight is we then have to decide what we mean by "brightest"
Is that intensity/colour temperature or totally light output or what?

A ~15mW green laser has to be about the most intense brightest handheld illumination device or am I missing the point?

Al

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody here's got a 60+mw laser... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I would say there has to be some groupings in terms of what's brighter. Usually, when I hear the word "bright", I term it as total luminous output. Narrower fields like candlepower or color temperature open up different areas of "brightness"...

So in essense, you can point to brightness levels of 3 categories: LEDS, Incands, and HIDs... In that field, it's a better assessment of "brightness"... The question's so ambigeous that it's hard to answer correctly at all.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
We try! Of course, if the answer's unknown, somebody's got to buy the light to "test" it out...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting how a seemingly simple question can result in such debate. This is a testament to the complex epistemological nature of light and flashlights. Ummm, I mean, what is bright? What is a flashlight? Who am I? And why do I keep buying these things?

W

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Indeed. We continue to ponder the imponderable and contemplate the inscrutable. We are not mere flashaholics - we are philosophers, poets, theologians, and metaphysicians. Our greatness is legend. (If a non-flashaholic ever sees this thread, our lunacy will be confirmed in his mind.)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would doubt that the comet m10 is as bright as an m6...several people have reported that the output ratings are extremely inaccurate. not to mention other problems...

am i saying our dear friend mr. g is being dishonest? oh no...he would never do that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having never actually set eyes on one, I can't really say, but if I was looking for a BRIGHT flashlight, first one I'd look at (But not into the beam of) would be the Maxabeam. Which I will get when I eventually win the lottery.