it's great when good people survive

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
short version of the story:

2 robbers invade home with 10 people there for a birthday party, takes away all their phones(police can't be called) separate men from women, preparing to kill all of them after raping the women. A men in the party pulls a gun, shoots one dead and the other perp fled, protecting his girlfriend from getting raped.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html

the hero deserves a round of applause.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Im gonna save this link for the next time somebody ask's "whats with you Americans and your guns?"

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You think people asking you why you carry a flashlight is bad? Wait till they're asking you why you carry a gun. Wish I could lug around a computer all the time so I could show people these kinds of things.

Hope the would-be robbers/murderers/rapists get the electric chair after having to pay for the bullets fired and the time to clean the gun.

Score one for the good guys. :buddies:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im gonna save this link for the next time somebody ask's "whats with you Americans and your guns?"
On the other hand, in a country where it's much harder to get guns most robbers have to make do without, so they can't just barge in a home and order everyone not to move. They could threaten people with knives, but when there's ten people and two robbers this seldom goes well (for the robbers).

Still, I'm happy that the man reacted and gave them what they deserved. I'm just sorry for the poor girl who got shot accidentally, but at least she'll live. She's pretty lucky, too - the article says she was hit several times...

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, in a country where it's much harder to get guns most robbers have to make do without, so they can't just barge in a home and order everyone not to move. They could threaten people with knives, but when there's ten people and two robbers this seldom goes well (for the robbers)...
Statistically, the UK has a much higher percentage of hot burglaries than the US does. (Hot burglary = burglary of occupied house -- Cold burglary = burglary of UNoccupied house) In the States burglars take far more care to make sure that the house is really empty for reasons that are at least obvious to them.

As far as countries where guns are much harder to get, that usually just means that those who try hardest will, in fact, be the ones who get them, not that no one will have them. It also means that the bigger, stronger, younger and unarmed intruder has less to fear from his targets which he already knows are unarmed.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On the other hand, in a country where it's much harder to get guns most robbers have to make do without, so they can't just barge in a home and order everyone not to move. They could threaten people with knives, but when there's ten people and two robbers this seldom goes well (for the robbers).

Well, think about it... Who wants to get stabbed?

Ten unarmed victims, two guys with large knives and willing to use them. You're going to need at least two from that group of 10 willing to sacrifice body parts (if not their lives) in order to rush the knifers. That's highly unlikely.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have 4 jetliners each with 4 or 5 bad guys with knives versus 100+ passengers, and the knifers kill nearly all of the flight crews, how many of those passengers will attack the bad guys and based on what information?

Well, we know the answer.

ledlurker

Enlightened
It never was safe. Our technology and inexpensive energy sources just allowed people to feel safe by getting them out of hereditary job skills and to for most of them to step up the social classes.

A good book to read would be "The Engines of our Enginuity" then immediately read the "The Ancient Engineers" by L.Sprague DeCamp. One quote from the book ""Few men's unconscious feels at home except in conditions very similar to those which prevailed when they were children." Hence people who live in an era of rapid change tend to suffer from a vague but persistent feeling of unease. Something is wrong, through they do not know what. Some react to this discomfort by wildly irrational fanaticism, as by asserting that flouridation of drinking water is part of a Communist plot to poison the nation. More, it can be shown that speeding up the rate of change probably fosters crime"

The first printing of the above book was in 1960. Not much has changed. For me as a 41 year old you could take away my cell phone and computer and I could care less. My 18 year old Niece has withdraws when she can not text her boyfriend.

I also read a book locally researched in my city about 19th century crime (1860-1885) with crime statistics for my town. You be amazed at the number of sexual predators that were castrated by the victims families or the serial killer that killed his victims by getting them drunk and then driving a railroad spike through their eyes. I personally hold the view that crimes have not got worse per se but we just hear about them intantaneously on the web or our twitter accounts or on our HD flat panel TVs with the Dish network.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
the thing that drives me most crazy, is the amount of time and options offenders have to 'get off'

id like to see a planet, where if a person is caught breaking a law, (a law that is in place for the benefit of the general population), that the offender is tried and sentenced in 48 hours.

2 years of appeals etc is STUPIDITY. (yes we might need more judges/courts etc etc)

i heard the exon valdise thing where they dumped a tanker full of oil in the ocean and were fined $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was appealed,

it took 10 years AND THEY WON!!!!!

and only had to pay a small %% of the original decision? (so who has to clean up their mess?)

everyone knows oj was guilty (the first time) but he was out walking around free on a technicality?

its no wonder some people try and get away with things.

ive encountered many teenagers that will abuse a situation solely because they understand its the law that they are UNTOUCHABLE.

if global punishment was immediate and just,

and there was equal oppertunity for all

criminals might be slower to act.

maybe?