New guy needs a real flashlight

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

My next door neighbor's house caught fire a couple of days ago (thankfully, nobody was hurt) and the fire fighters told me to climb into my attic and keep an eye out for any embers that may have drifted in through the vents. Well, I found out that the cheap-o LED lights I bought in a 4 pack at Home Depot weren't even strong enough to throw a beam through my whole attic (and I'm in a small house). I knew they were weak, but didn't realize they were *that* weak.

So, I need a real flashlight...and, after reading reviews around here and at flashlightreviews.com, I'm pretty confused and have even less of an idea of what I want than I did before. I was originally thinking that I'd get a Maglite but then I remembered how awesome a friend's Surefire was so I started looking for reviews. I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations from you knowledgable folk. I found the questionairre here and thought that if I answered some of the questions, maybe you guys could guide me.

First off, I'm in the US and can buy online. And I can probably talk my wife into a budget of $40-50 but probably not more than that (I can already hear her saying "What the hell do you need a $100 flashlight for!?" :whistle:)

Size-wise, 4-6" would be good so that I could put it in my pocket when I take my dog for a walk. But I could probably do a ~10" light if it would suit my needs better. The large size is appealing as I could use it as a weapon if need-be. But compact is also appealing, so I'm a bit torn there. And I'd definitely like a metal case.

Rechargable batteries are intriguing but I don't think a necessity. I'm ok with spending extra money on CR123 or lithium AA batteries if it increases the light brightness, quality, and battery life. The light's not going to get a whole lot of use - just mostly while walking my dog and random around-the-house or camping use.

I'm not sure what kind of beam I'd like. I've never really had a "good" flashlight per-se so I'm not sure what the different beams are like. I saw the pictures in the various reviews, and it's really hard to get a gauge of what the light is really like by them. It seems like a narrow beam would be best so that the light can pierce into bushes while I'm taking my dog for a walk. But a wider beam sounds good so that I can see where I'm going and don't step in a hole.

And, finally, I have no idea what bulb type I want. The lights I have now are multiple-LED ones. They're just a cheap Husky (Home Depot's house brand) light with 6 small LEDs in the head and a reflector and they work in a pinch but they're so weak that they get drowned out by 7pm twilight. I also have a ~10" Brinkman with 4 large LEDs in the head that works ok, but not great. Plus the light seems very blue-ish rather than a white color. So my experience with LED lights leaves me disliking them a little bit.

Thanks!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my recommendation to start you off:-

1. head on over to shiningbeam.com

2. check out the Romisen RC N3 warm white LED, you can see some of my beamshots here

3. if you want whiter light (which most people starting out usually do), you can see the comparison with the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 (2 mode, 2xAA), both these lights can run off 1xCR123/RCR123s to make them smaller and handier (but in 1xCR123/RCR123 mode both lights only have a single mode and will run about 40 minutes (RC N3 warm white) and 47 minutes (RC N3 II Q5) which is what i have experienced as i own both.

4. you can probably get both for just over $50 :D so one for you and one for your wife

5. dont forget the CPF discount code "CPFuser"

6. Bryan's (shiningbeam) service is excellent, from order/payment to shipping took less than 24 hours for me.

enjoy your lights, hide the credit card payments or bank statements from She Who Must Be Obeyed and :welcome:

Globalstaff

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

My next door neighbor's house caught fire a couple of days ago (thankfully, nobody was hurt) and the fire fighters told me to climb into my attic and keep an eye out for any embers that may have drifted in through the vents. Well, I found out that the cheap-o LED lights I bought in a 4 pack at Home Depot weren't even strong enough to throw a beam through my whole attic (and I'm in a small house). I knew they were weak, but didn't realize they were *that* weak.

So, I need a real flashlight...and, after reading reviews around here and at flashlightreviews.com, I'm pretty confused and have even less of an idea of what I want than I did before. I was originally thinking that I'd get a Maglite but then I remembered how awesome a friend's Surefire was so I started looking for reviews. I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations from you knowledgable folk. I found the questionairre here and thought that if I answered some of the questions, maybe you guys could guide me.

First off, I'm in the US and can buy online. And I can probably talk my wife into a budget of $40-50 but probably not more than that (I can already hear her saying "What the hell do you need a $100 flashlight for!?" :whistle:)

Size-wise, 4-6" would be good so that I could put it in my pocket when I take my dog for a walk. But I could probably do a ~10" light if it would suit my needs better. The large size is appealing as I could use it as a weapon if need-be. But compact is also appealing, so I'm a bit torn there. And I'd definitely like a metal case.

Rechargable batteries are intriguing but I don't think a necessity. I'm ok with spending extra money on CR123 or lithium AA batteries if it increases the light brightness, quality, and battery life. The light's not going to get a whole lot of use - just mostly while walking my dog and random around-the-house or camping use.

I'm not sure what kind of beam I'd like. I've never really had a "good" flashlight per-se so I'm not sure what the different beams are like. I saw the pictures in the various reviews, and it's really hard to get a gauge of what the light is really like by them. It seems like a narrow beam would be best so that the light can pierce into bushes while I'm taking my dog for a walk. But a wider beam sounds good so that I can see where I'm going and don't step in a hole.

And, finally, I have no idea what bulb type I want. The lights I have now are multiple-LED ones. They're just a cheap Husky (Home Depot's house brand) light with 6 small LEDs in the head and a reflector and they work in a pinch but they're so weak that they get drowned out by 7pm twilight. I also have a ~10" Brinkman with 4 large LEDs in the head that works ok, but not great. Plus the light seems very blue-ish rather than a white color. So my experience with LED lights leaves me disliking them a little bit.

Thanks!
I like your post much. Hope more info:twothumbs
website update

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
+100 for a quark.

its the latest and greatest from 4sevens.com

and heads up, youre not going to be able to resist more lights, in excess of 100$ in the future.
:)

Crenshaw

Fonly

Newly Enlightened
whats been said allready it top rate stuff, I dont know how much the price differs in the US, but I've been Eyeing a Fenix LD10 for a while now, and once I talk my lady into it, I think I will try and get one.

Just to give you something to look at, Surefire E2DL's are nice. :D

vali

Enlightened
I think the 2xAA lights are ideal for emergencies. You can find AA cells almost everywhere and using 2 of them you will get more runtime and brightness.

- RC-N3 from ShiningBeam. You can use CR123A with this one too.
- Quark AA^2
- Fenix LD20 (or TK20 if you plan to be hard on the flashlight).
- Eagletack P100A2 or P10A2.
- Nitecore PD20. (Beware, parasitic drain in the batteries).

If you plan to use alkalines, dont store the cells inside the flashlight. They can leak and destroy the light. Most forum members will recommend you to buy Sanyo eneloops. These batteries dont lose the charge when not in use, will not leak, the runtime in high will be better than alkalines and, of course, you can recharge them.

Another option is to get Energizer lithiums. They are not cheap, but you can put a pair of them in a light and forget about the thing until you need it (up to 15 years IIRC).

carrot

Flashaholic
The 4sevens Quarks are, in my opinion, currently the best EDC lights available under $100. The Nitecore EX10 and D10 are also very good. Check out my Guide to High-End Lights, linked in my sig.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies and advice, everyone!!!

It looks like all of the recommended lights are LED. I'm a little gunshy of LED since all the lights I have right now are LED and they suck as far as brightness and light quality go. Granted, I only have experience with these cheap-o LED lights, but I'm still a little hesitant on them. Do these higher end lights have better brightness, distance, and light quality? Could you tell me how they compare to a regular Maglite as that's about the best quality light that I have experience with (other than a brief encounter with my friend's Surefire)?

Also, for the record, I'm ok with CR123 batteries if they yield brighter light or longer battery life.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and great advice!

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
Here's my recommendation to start you off:-

1. head on over to shiningbeam.com

2. check out the Romisen RC N3 warm white LED, you can see some of my beamshots here

3. if you want whiter light (which most people starting out usually do), you can see the comparison with the Romisen RC N3 II Q5 (2 mode, 2xAA), both these lights can run off 1xCR123/RCR123s to make them smaller and handier (but in 1xCR123/RCR123 mode both lights only have a single mode and will run about 40 minutes (RC N3 warm white) and 47 minutes (RC N3 II Q5) which is what i have experienced as i own both.

4. you can probably get both for just over $50 :D so one for you and one for your wife

5. dont forget the CPF discount code "CPFuser"

6. Bryan's (shiningbeam) service is excellent, from order/payment to shipping took less than 24 hours for me.

enjoy your lights, hide the credit card payments or bank statements from She Who Must Be Obeyed and :welcome:

Thanks for this info! I love the price and the idea of having a couple of these. One question, though. It says that it's got a "Tactical momentary-on forward switch". Does this mean it doesn't click on and off and that I have to hold the switch down to keep it lit? My friend's Surefire was like that and I'd much rather have a click switch.

NE450No2

Enlightened
I would recommend you take a look at the Sure Fire G2, or G2LED.

Both of these are great lights for the money.

They are very reliable and rugged.

Either one would be a great first flashlight.

And if you get really hooked, no matter how many flashlights you end up with, one of these will still have a useful function for you.

joel95ex

Newly Enlightened
fenix pd30....just bought one...keep it in back pocket next to wallet and don't even know it's there. well worth the $67 bucks.....excellent output and lightweight.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with carrot and qip,go with the Quark.The 2AA is probably the best model to start with.I like the neutral tint Quarks but they are selling out fast. You may be satisfied with the standard model anyway it will not be as blue as 5MM LEDs.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
It sure seems that a lot of you like the Quark AA2!

How does the Romisen RC N3 compare to the Quark AA2? I know that most things have a "you get what you pay for" rule, but is it worth getting 1 Quark for the price of 2 Romisens?

It also looks like the neutral white version of the Quark AA2 is out of stock. They have the nuetral white version of the AA2 Tactical in stock, though. Is the only difference between those two the way you switch light modes?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Could you tell me how they compare to a regular Maglite as that's about the best quality light that I have experience with (other than a brief encounter with my friend's Surefire)?

They blow the Maglite away, I have compared a lot of lights here, including a 6D maglite. For the same amount of power a led usual gives between 3 and 10 times more light.

Here is a Fenix TK20 (2xAA batteries) and the 6D (6xD batteries):
DSC_7595a.jpg
DSC_7625a.jpg

At long distance the 6D will be a bit brighter than the TK20, due to the bigger reflector with better focus.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this info! I love the price and the idea of having a couple of these. One question, though. It says that it's got a "Tactical momentary-on forward switch". Does this mean it doesn't click on and off and that I have to hold the switch down to keep it lit? My friend's Surefire was like that and I'd much rather have a click switch.

Great post and good info on your need for a light.

It just means it is a forward clickie and that as soon as you put preasure the light goes on. Put more presure and the light stays on permanately untill you turn it off or the cells get depleted.

:welcome: