800 Lumen Rifle Spotlight

creetech

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have finished building an 850 lumen rifle spotlight this week and thought I would share. I have been working on this project for a little while. The light uses 4 Cree Q5 leds with 4 aspheric lenses. It has amazing throw, like nothing I've seen before. The only brighter led light i have seen is the lenser X21. I was able to compare my light to the X21 on its brightest most focused setting and it only just beat it. The X21 is a 950 lumen light.

spot1q.jpg

spotonscope.jpg

dscf3114a.jpg

dscf3126.jpg

Anyway, some specs:

4X Q5's running on 1000mA or 330mA
Toggle switch with High, Off, Low modes
Reliable Buckpuck regulator
Cut down maglite body with heatsink disc inside
Water resistant (Probably water proof, haven't tested it yet.)
Has a 1 inch mount which can fit most scopes or a heavy barrel.
External battery pack. (Requires 14.8V minimum, on 1.2 Amp hour battery, I get about 1 hour on high beam, three on low) Any batteries can be used, lead acid, lithium poly, rechargeable etc.
Should only be used on high beam for about 20mins at a time. Low beam is very bright anyway.

If anyone is interested, I might be persuaded to build some more..

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is a freaking cool light, Usefull too.

Oh, and you do loose around 50% of the lumens by going the aspheric route so its 400 lumens:nana:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Can you show more detailed pics on how you did the mounting & modding of the body? I'm going to be getting a chunk of a body soon, and that idea is perfect!

~Brian

acezone

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
Which heat sink did you use for this mod? and is it a D size Mag? its a very smart looking and clean cut down, looking at doing something the same for my bike.

Cheers, acezone

creetech

Newly Enlightened
Now that is a freaking cool light, Usefull too.

Oh, and you do loose around 50% of the lumens by going the aspheric route so its 400 lumens:nana:

Not sure about that one bigchelis, all aspherics are different. This one is definitely up there as I have compared it to a 950 lumen light and its nearly as bright. Its definitely not 400 lumens

creetech

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
Which heat sink did you use for this mod? and is it a D size Mag? its a very smart looking and clean cut down, looking at doing something the same for my bike.

Cheers, acezone

Hi, I use a d mag, cut down of course. I made the heatsink myself from an aluminum disc which I machined to fit inside the mag head.

creetech

Newly Enlightened
nice light :twothumbs

how big is the battery pack anyways? Got a picture of it?
The battery pack I am currently using is 2 Lead acids. It's actually pretty small as I don't need a very high Amp Hour rating to run for a few hours. I use a 6V and 12V in series to give 18V, 1.2 Ah. Sorry I don't have any pics at the moment but I can try and get one later.

Cheers

Patriot

Flashaholic
The battery pack I am currently using is 2 Lead acids. It's actually pretty small as I don't need a very high Amp Hour rating to run for a few hours. I use a 6V and 12V in series to give 18V, 1.2 Ah.

If the budget allows, I think you'd increase the enjoyability and usefulness of your rig much more with a 4-5 cell li-po. It will be a fraction of the weight and will provide a more consistent power supply. :)

Good li-po prices can be had at hobbyking.com

creetech

Newly Enlightened
Yes, The Li-po's are pretty cheap, it's just a charger that takes the price up a bit. The Lead Acids aren't too bad, I get them very cheap.