In a drought? I'll tell ya why

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
In a drought? I\'ll tell ya why

We are using all the rain here in the panhandle of Florida.

We have had nearly (may have hit it today) 40" of rain since June 1st and that's without any tropical activity. Power outages are getting so common more people than ever are carrying torches. Our building has been hit by lightning 3 times in the past 30 days. Not near misses, actual hits. It fried our phone system the first and second time but the third time we were prepared. It's keeping the temps. down but I can't cut the grass. My yard is a bog. They measure the water table by putting a ruler on my front steps. Just kidding about the last part but it's hilarious. I can only think of 1 day in the past 45 or so it didn't rain. Beats a drought but enough is enough. If we had even a small hurricane the flooding would be horrific. My folks in Texas are in a long running drought, I wish we could re-route the water. Yes it rained today and is threatining again.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: In a drought? I\'ll tell ya why

You are welcome to send it up this way, we are about 40 inches short of what we need.

It has rained here more often this year than usual on average, but the rains only last a few moments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

You can have some of NYC areas too. We've been getting "scattered thunderstorms" since last Friday - If your under one of them, expect an inch or so of rain. Parts of NJ have gotten hit with 10 or 15 of them - Yep, 15 inches of rain in about 7 days. My house? Only about 3-4 inches this week

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would ya mind sending a little of that wet stuff over here - we could use it about now. Not a drought, far from it, but it`s just too damn hot! 27 (~80) might not seem like much to a lot of you but it`s too much for me. Outside some parts of the UK are getting up near 90 or so which is very uncommon, and the end is still not in sight.

I`m afraid I suffer in the heat. I`m one of those rare, strange folks who prefers the cold weather and usually quite likes it when it rains. No A/C here either!

I`d hate to live anywhere that sees these temperatures on a regular basis.....

(edit)Seems to be dropping slightly now. It peaked at 28.5 in here, which is 83-ish. Too hot!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

5 year drought in Charlotte NC finally broke this year. If it had stopped raining in July we would have been over the "standard" rainfall for the year. Still raining. The jet stream pattern is in a January/winter pattern resulting in a lot of rain for us. The lawns look great for a change! Unusually cool too - only 3 days over 90 deg F. so far this year.

Big Tex

Enlightened

Yep, send Dallas some of that rain. It hasn't rained in over a month and yesterday's temp was 109.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

We haven't had rain in about a week I guess. And not a LOT prior to that.

But we gots high 90's/low 100's and a heat index (temp plus humidity in the 1 teens!

Send us some of them blue northers!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

We're a bit low on rainfall this year too. The temps have been only slightly above average, so there really isn't that much suffering going on here. We've had maybe three or four days of 90°F or over temperatures (two of them in early June); something we usually see two or three times for the whole year. And we still might see a few more of these really warm days between now and the end of September, when the average temperature starts to drop like a bomb and the average rainfall starts to go up like a hydrogen balloon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

We've had a little less rain than usual for the summer and temperature extremes have been rather short lived. It does seem like we've had more lightning storms than usual though. I blame the lighting on the large number of Californians moving into the area, attracting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif