Talk me out of the OLight SR91, please

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

For years now, I've been using a MagCharger85 and a modified 100W Vector spot for my "long" lights around the property. They are both champs and I'd never give them up, but I admit that LEDs are highly practical things. So, I'm thinking about replacing one of the above lights with an OLight SR91. Reviews seem to be generally pretty good and the size and price seem right on. My only concern is with the CCT of the SST-90 LED. To my eye, anything above 5,000K, especially at night, outside is just too harsh. A Mag format HID is another possibility but they're usually custom rather than production.

So, is there anything else I should consider? Are there any issues with the SR91 that I ought to be aware of? Should I stick with the MC85? Would you put one by your nightstand? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Wilkey

cummins4x4

Enlightened
If you are looking for throw only check out the dedicated thrower thread, specifically the Deree DBS aspheric, I have one and it's great for "around the property" and a bit further :thumbsup:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Cummins. I did go through that thread and I'm not sure the extreme nature of an aspheric beam profile is for me. Having grown up on incans, I like a gentler transition between hot and spill. Some intense throwers there for sure, though.
Wilkey

N10

Newly Enlightened
i don't own one but i've seen one in action and from some of the threads about the sr90.. measurements have shown that the sr90's output isn't the claimed 2200 lumens but kind of "lower" in the 1400 range similar to the sr91 which some prefer due to the slightly smaller overall dimensions..Anyhow it still is a bright light & olight's build quality also seems rather excellent.maybe u want to consider the fenix tk70 which seems to have more output and throws just as far if not furthur than the sr90( there was a comparison beamshot somewhere) and the tk70's beam does look warmer also...sr90 wins in looks though and build(the fenix just looks a bit rougher)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't own one but i've seen one in action and from some of the threads about the sr90.. measurements have shown that the sr90's output isn't the claimed 2200 lumens but kind of "lower" in the 1400 range similar to the sr91 which some prefer due to the slightly smaller overall dimensions..Anyhow it still is a bright light & olight's build quality also seems rather excellent.maybe u want to consider the fenix tk70 which seems to have more output and throws just as far if not furthur than the sr90( there was a comparison beamshot somewhere) and the tk70's beam does look warmer also...sr90 wins in looks though and build(the fenix just looks a bit rougher)
That is an impressive looking light. I think the thing I like about the SR91 is that it uses LiIon and you can have to worry less about self-discharge. And pulling an charging 4 cells is less convenient.
Wilkey
P:3500

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about the SR91 and I kept comparing videos both of them and both together and when I saw both beam shots side by side there was only one answer THE SR90!!!!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the SR91 and I kept comparing videos both of them and both together and when I saw both beam shots side by side there was only one answer THE SR90!!!!!
Hardcore, baby. Hardcore.

The concern I had about the CCT. Reports are that they run around 6000K. Is the LED moddable? Has anyone ever swapped the stocker for a neutral unit?

Wilkey

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

Yeppers! If your going to buy a SR91, you might as well go bigger and buy the SR90. If you don't you will only end up buying it later on more than likely.

http://youtu.be/nKAswll82cA

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeppers! If your going to buy a SR91, you might as well go bigger and buy the SR90. If you don't you will only end up buying it later on more than likely.

http://youtu.be/nKAswll82cA

The OTF Lumens are identical on SR90 and SR91 just one throws a lot more. Both are 1250 ish OTF by the 3-4 min mark and both start at 1480-1500 Upon turn on

SR90 I tested did 90-98K lux

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The OTF Lumens are identical on SR90 and SR91 just one throws a lot more. Both are 1250 ish OTF by the 3-4 min mark and both start at 1480-1500 Upon turn on

SR90 I tested did 90-98K lux

That's why I told him to buy the SR90. It will smoke the SR91 in throw and brightness at 100yds. That video clearly proves that. Up close brightness don't mean much to me.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Enlightened
The D batteries are a pain in the butt to charge - in that ya needa stick around to watch them so you can pull them off the charger (so, I can only do this on Fri Night-Sat or Sat night-Sun). But, the Fenix TK70 is 1/2 the price of the SR90, and puts out a greater wall of light in the pics I have seen, than the SR90...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for posting those vids. I gotta say, the SR91 looks to do pretty well in the range of long I work. Living where I am, we haven't got a lot of 400-500+ yard runs but being able to spot a couple hundred feet out is fine. If the D cells can be made into a pack, I can charge the whole stick in my Electrifly. Does anyone know the input voltage range of the TK70? Will it take two sets of C-sized LiIons in parallel in the body tube?

Wilkey