Luxeon LED Production Company(s)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Lumileds the only company that is currently producing luxeon LEDs or anything similar?

I was just thinking about LEDs and their cost, limited productions, etc.

If there is currently only one company making luxeon stars, then maybe that explains the relatively high prices and limited assortments that CPF members have essentially come to terms with.

Empath

Flashaholic
It is the ONLY manufacturer. That would also explain the reluctance on the part of some manufacturers that don't want the future of their products or company dependent on the health and stability of another corporate entity in which they have no control.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they are a joint venture with Philips and a subdivision of Hewlett-Packard. I know they have a Fab a couple miles from me, but not sure if that is their only Fab making LS's.

GregR

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet somebody (possibly a CPF member) will examine a few of these Lumiled Luxeon Stars and figure out a way not only to replicate them, but improve them in such substantial ways that it will be a new product. Wouldn't that be sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bikr-

I'm sure there are all kinds of people trying just that. Qualifing a Fab to make them is another matter. Semiconductor Fabs are some of the most expensive production facilities around. Not many are being build, most companies have turned to foundries, overseas Fabs that make chips on contract for many companys to spead costs around and keep them running full blast 24/7. I'm not sure, but I would say my company (LTC - Linear Technology) built probibly one of the last "new" Fabs to be built in Silicon Valley. I've only been with them a year, my prior company dumped it's Fab due to sky high costs and now has parts made for them overseas.

GregR

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is great news for flashaholics. Not only will both manufactures compete on pricing, but the drive to maintain consistancy in color tint and output should improve.

GregR

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia also have a high wattage LED, as well as a korean brand. The name escapes me, but Craig has a page on them at TheLedMuseum. More competition is a good thing like greg says. Hopefully, they will stimulate more research into better quality and cheaper pricing.

Negeltu

Enlightened
There ARE other companies making high output leds. Perhaps not quite as bright as the luxeon stars...but bright nonetheless.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really looking forward to some competition for the luxeon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 2 years ago they were this mysterious thing, now I own a dozen of them in every format and layout and power supply imaginable. I'm looking forward to the things that will be possible with other mountings and power levels.