An ideal phablet

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got LG Optimus G Pro 2 years ago, cannot believe time went by so fast, feels like yesterday.

5.5" screen, 1080P HD screen. Most importantly, removable battery. I put it one of these extra capacity 9300 mah cells and get a full day of runtime with it. The stock battery was 3100 mAh and barely lasted 4 hours, maybe 8 if you did nothing with it.

Lots of new phablets have been introduced since then but none of them equal Optimus G Pro.

The new Nexus has a larger screen, 6" and more importantly, higher density pixels at 2560x1440. The resolution is very nice but it lacks the removable battery feature which is a deal-killer for me.

Lots of other 6" phablets but they are mostly 1080P HD. A 6" HD screen looks worse than a 5.5" HD screen.

The new iphone plus came out, its specs are where LG Optimus G Pro was two years ago. 5.5" and HD. No big deal.

LG has the new G3 at 2560x1440 but you really need a larger screen to take advantage of the higher resolution. I was not impressed.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The larger phone/"phablet" format is going to become the standard over the next couple of years; what we currently know as the regular-sized smartphone will still be available, but in the minority.

ven

Flashaholic
I like my iphoney 6+,camera is pretty good and holds its own against others higher mp. But i have always like apple anyway,never had issues and like the user friendly software.............to me anyway:) I tend to spend more time surfing than on the phone hence choice.

Probably best option is to try a few out at an independent phone shop,as taste differs so much. Important for me is battery life too,even after a full day of use i struggle to get bellow 70% remaining ..........

Not sent from my iPhone 6 plus:p

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experiences:
I had the Note 2, best mate has the Note 4, I upgraded to Iphone 6 Plus. I must say, the Iphone opens my apps and camera ever so slightly faster than his new Note 4, and mine is SOOO much easier for ME to use. Forget the written specs, put it in your hands and use it.
Note 4 is a tad too large for my hands and pockets, it doesn't feel even close in quality.
Iphone downfalls, can't change battery on fly, can't add/swap micro SD card. Solutions: Carry 18650 USB charger, set up on Icloud to back everything up. A bonus was that it syncs through the cloud to my laptop, I can now text and answer calls from my laptop and it backs up all my contacts!!!!!!!!!! I found that out after I got it. I know, I am not a techy fellow.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Important for me is battery life too,even after a full day of use i struggle to get bellow 70% remaining ..........

Don't forget the iPad charger trick; the 6 comes with a 1.0 amp charger, but can charge at up to 2.4 amps if you provide it. Got one for my car and now the handful of minutes it takes me to get from place to place is plenty for a ~20% charge.

markr6

Flashaholic
The larger phone/"phablet" format is going to become the standard over the next couple of years; what we currently know as the regular-sized smartphone will still be available, but in the minority.

It will be interesting to see what happens here. My iPhone 6 is pushing the limit in my pocket. When I sit to put shoes on, it pokes me in the waist. Anything larger would not be pocketable and I'll need to start carrying a man purse...but I don't want to be an early adopter of that :)

ven

Flashaholic
Don't forget the iPad charger trick; the 6 comes with a 1.0 amp charger, but can charge at up to 2.4 amps if you provide it. Got one for my car and now the handful of minutes it takes me to get from place to place is plenty for a ~20% charge.

Have heard the ipad uses higher rate,but thought it was built into the charger (ipads) .Charge control is from the device irrc too,but using the iphone 6+ charger(looks same as the 5s ) it charges very quick. In fact i dont recall it ever needing much longer than an hour,usually a lot less topping back off. Every so often i let it run down to maybe 20% and top up.Again it seems like a couple of hours tops,admit i have never timed it. I can say it charges quicker than my iphone 5 i had........

Overall i am happy,i have a silly HUGE case that really adds weight,it will fit in my combats and northface coat fine. Work pants is a no no,but that is more down to the new design of shallow pockets...........probably saved me damaging it anyway in my work environment.

Sensible choice the 6,if want larger display and size is no deal breaker then 6+

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using the iPhone since Verizon broke the AT&T monopoly. Drug my feet on getting a new phone because I hate changing the operating system. Sort of like changing from Windows XP to Win7.

I've never bounced from phone to phone after the contract expiration like some people do.

Finally broke down and paid cash price for the 6+ with 128gb memory. As long as I paid cash for the phone I got to keep my unlimited data plan. The screen real estate of the 6+ is massive compared to my old iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is more eloquent than the 6 or 6+. Getting the 6+ with the Otterbox Defender case into a pants pocket is almost impossible.

The 6+ has a larger battery than the 6. Where Apple has it all over the other phones on the market is that with Apple building both the software and hardware, it just works. By using a 64 bit processor and the co processors for video, the screen refreshes faster than any of the Samsung smart phones I've looked at.

nbp

Flashaholic
It will be interesting to see what happens here. My iPhone 6 is pushing the limit in my pocket. When I sit to put shoes on, it pokes me in the waist. Anything larger would not be pocketable and I'll need to start carrying a man purse...but I don't want to be an early adopter of that :)

Exactly my thoughts. My iPhone 6 is just about right for me for size. I really wouldn't want it too much larger, I need to be able to put it in my pocket. I have an iPad for things that require more screen space but not the processing power of my laptop. The phablets are just too much for me.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a (formerly nokia) Lumina 1520. 6 inch screen cell phone, 4G, LTE, wifi, amazing camera. Superb reception. When on business trips, I use it for a wifi hot spot for my laptop. There are some aspects that aren't perfect, but overall it is pretty good.

Hardware specs blow away a lot of phones on the market. Downloadable mapping and a REAL GPS built in, great for when there is no phone network or when traveling internationally into expensive data networks.

I used a bigger tablet for a while but it was just too heavy. I use a really minimalistic case on the 1520, it is pretty tough.

I can use it heavily all day, no problem. In battery saver mode, it last literally for days. The location feature on these phones seems to be the big power user.

My wife loves her iphone and all of those apps, but on the 1520, I just use the built in browser for everything, as it can view sites very similar to a normal laptop. There are lots of apps available, but I don't use them - no need, and why expose your personal data to marketing spoofing ?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Exactly my thoughts. My iPhone 6 is just about right for me for size. I really wouldn't want it too much larger, I need to be able to put it in my pocket.

I can just get away with the 6+ due to CPF making me buy trousers with deep pockets............:whistle:

Do agree, the 6 is about perfect for a happy medium screen size and usability.