Clicky single aaa - Pelican, Fenix, or Streamlight -

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at a single AAA clicky light with a pocket clip. I've got it narrowed down to these. I see the Fenix is pretty well loved here, but does anyone have experience with the other two?

The only reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be any Streetlight Protac AAA reviews, and that looks like a pretty killer light. The Pelican 1910 dual out light also seems like a contender. Is there a reason these don't get discussed much?

The Fenix would win out for me, but I've a read a few times that the clip isn't that strong. I keep a AAA in my back pocket of my ODU's when in uniform, front left when in civvies. The clip gets used and abused daily, and if it's sub-par, I'll lose it in no time.

Any quick responses about one you love/hate? I'd like to know. I know there are some better twisty aaa's out there, but the light needs to be one-handed clicky with a pocket clip.

Revvy

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Streamlight ProTac and it is my choice over the others for a few reasons.
The Fenix has a reverse click switch I think which ruled it out for me. I presume you are talking about the LD02?

The Pelican was just too unknown for me and I have not been that impressed with other Pelican lights that I have had in the past t all.
They do have a forward click switch and some positive reviews but nowhere near the following of the others.

That leaves the Streamlight,I have had many Microstream in both 1 and 2 AAA form and they have all been bombproof to say the least.
I have a ProTac AA that I love and other bigger Streamlight too each that refuse to die.

The Stream light all have a forward click switch so that it can give a momentary light before locking in to the mode you want. Add to that the 10 Tap programming ability and you can customize the lights function a little and I don't know of any light that really competes with it in AAA pocket size?

I got mine recently from LA Police Gear,they shipped right away and the price was under $30.00 with free shipping.
I am sold!

scout24

Flashaholic
1910 actually kind of fits the hand, unlike some others. Seems big for an AAA light, which in this case is a good thing. And, the pocket clip is not clip on, it goes under the tailcap and can't pop off. There is not enough room for a lot of material under the clip, however. Jeans? No go. Cargo shorts are no problem though. YMMV.

xzel87

Enlightened
Lumintop Tool AAA...been using it until the paint/ano? on the clip wore off, clip still works fine. Works with LiIon (gets real hot on high though) and normal batts.

If not, I'd go with the Fenix.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
what about olight i3s the only thing is the clip is probably not going to stay on either but i wonder how big a deal it would be to tap the body and screw the clip on properly

i have a couple pelican plastic incan lights one explosion proof i bought from snapon and one 2xAA. as far as i am concerned they made good stuff in the past but i have not seen any of the recent models.

Chay

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD02, it is a little bit flimsy but would only fall out of your pocket with abuse/hard use. Other than that, it's quite a nice little click AAA light :thumbsup:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about olight i3s the only thing is the clip is probably not going to stay on either but i wonder how big a deal it would be to tap the body and screw the clip on properly

i have a couple pelican plastic incan lights one explosion proof i bought from snapon and one 2xAA. as far as i am concerned they made good stuff in the past but i have not seen any of the recent models.
Great light but mine is not a Clicky?

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
sorry i missed that part. yeah not too many clicky aaa models around.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Streamlight ProTac I have owned was the EMS, a single AA. It was really nice and compact, and worked great. I have had several Microstreams, and have loved them all. I like the new two-way clip, but I think the original switch was better. The current one is much stiffer, which I guess is what a lot of owners want. I have EDCed the various versions of the Microstream for about six years now, and have never had a problem. For a $20 light it is really great. I use a lithium primary cell for the longer life, almost double the run time of an alkaline cell, and I don't have to worry about leaks.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
DQG AAA Clicky - reverse clicky, SS and you can get it with a neutral tint from CNQ. (Banggoods light is mislabeled it is not the DQG.)

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
I went with the Streamlight ProTac 1AAA. Dual mode and forward click. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I ordered it the day I wrote the first post so it'll be here this evening.

Last edited:

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I'll give a quick once over on the light. Now, I'm not a flashaholic like many of you. The only reason I found this place was because I was supposed to order several lights for my unit (we got a few 47's maelstrom's, a few 47 Quark Pros for those who thought the others were too big, and then eventually a few Surefires orange handle lights for our inspection side.) all this to say, I've handled a few good lights, but they're work lights. We use them all the time but don't really carry them on us. I'd been carrying just a simple AAA Streamlight as it did most everything I needed it for outside of my job. I just wanted something with more than one mode.

The Protac pretty much nailed it. It doesn't tail stand due to the clicker, but I've not once needed that. It's thin and not too long and hides in my pocket out of the way (yes, I'm still talking about the light). The fact that it is programmable is great as I prefer no strobe and it to start in low, then high. It does that too. The levels are right where I need them, no complaints. Here are some pics next to the other Streamlight 1AAA. It is about a half inch longer. I guess my next step is finding a super short clicking 2AAA light. I have a 47's Penlight but it doesn't really do it for me. The high is too bright, doesn't last long enough, and the clip just won't stay put.

f1c8641662d73c9f3a930d12cbbb1c42.jpg

d25523a9f1cd3a4275bc2f0912e83acc.jpg

574a5f6843921fc812b03cc96cf669ce.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 2 AAA clicky I would recommend the Nitecore MT06. It is a really classy looking penlight with two modes. The first mode is always 32 lumens. A soft press gets high mode at 150 lumens with a nice center hot spot and good spill. It is a reverse clicky, which you may not like. I wasn't hot on the idea at first, but it kind of grows on you after a while. The going price is around $32, but it sometimes shows up on sale. Check out some of the review videos on YouTube to get a better idea of what it looks like and how well it works.

inkwell

Newly Enlightened
Revvy,
You had any accidental activation with the clicky on the protac? You front or back pocket carry? The exposed clicky seems like it would be easy to turn on in a pocket.

Okay so I'll give a quick once over on the light. Now, I'm not a flashaholic like many of you. The only reason I found this place was because I was supposed to order several lights for my unit (we got a few 47's maelstrom's, a few 47 Quark Pros for those who thought the others were too big, and then eventually a few Surefires orange handle lights for our inspection side.) all this to say, I've handled a few good lights, but they're work lights. We use them all the time but don't really carry them on us. I'd been carrying just a simple AAA Streamlight as it did most everything I needed it for outside of my job. I just wanted something with more than one mode.

The Protac pretty much nailed it. It doesn't tail stand due to the clicker, but I've not once needed that. It's thin and not too long and hides in my pocket out of the way (yes, I'm still talking about the light). The fact that it is programmable is great as I prefer no strobe and it to start in low, then high. It does that too. The levels are right where I need them, no complaints. Here are some pics next to the other Streamlight 1AAA. It is about a half inch longer. I guess my next step is finding a super short clicking 2AAA light. I have a 47's Penlight but it doesn't really do it for me. The high is too bright, doesn't last long enough, and the clip just won't stay put.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not too likely that the PeoTac will turn in by itself,the switch is pretty firm in the first place and travel is long too.
I really like mine and the obvious choice if you do too is the 2AAA Streamlight and they make a few models of it inclusing the ProTac too.
I do not have that one though so can not comment directly about it but I do have several of the Microstream 2AAA and they are one reason I gave the 1AAA version a try in the first place.

The comment about the Preon being too bright and not as rugged is spot on with my experience as well.
Streamlight seem under rated to me but they are rugged and simple tools which is my preference most of the time for work.
And the programming ability of the Streamlight just is icing on the cake for me.

Also not only are they a Forward Click Switch but the Interface makes it simple to directly select the mode that you need with no surprises and I am not sure I have too many other lights like this?
The lights where you turn the head to select output are really the only others,Malkoff being my favorite of them.

Revvy

Newly Enlightened
As of yet, no accidental activation. If it did happen, it would be the momentary only. I don't think it could actually 'click' all the way on from how I carry it (front left ODUs, back right civvies). My 47 penlight turned all somewhat regularly, which is one of the reasons I no longer carry it.

So far, I like the light. The AAA form is pretty much perfect for me. Although I don't buy too many lights, I usually have my eye out for something that is a bit better to carry. This will likely hold me over for sometime.

sgt253

Enlightened
I just received a Pelican 1910. I am having issues with a semi-custom AAA light and needed something to fill the void. I was keeping expectations low, as not to be disappointed. WOW! Was I surprised by the 1910! The beam is quite flawless on my example. Hot spot a bit pronounced but good spill none the less. No artifacts in my light. A little "cool" tint. Not what i was expecting, but indeed very pleased! Going off my example, I would have to highly recommend the Pelican 1910.

Regards.

P.S. plus the price could not be beat (~$20 USD with free shipping to boot!)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Pelican 1910. I am having issues with a semi-custom AAA light and needed something to fill the void. I was keeping expectations low, as not to be disappointed. WOW! Was I surprised by the 1910! The beam is quite flawless on my example. Hot spot a bit pronounced but good spill none the less. No artifacts in my light. A little "cool" tint. Not what i was expecting, but indeed very pleased! Going off my example, I would have to highly recommend the Pelican 1910.

Regards.

P.S. plus the price could not be beat (~$20 USD with free shipping to boot!)
Same, I picked up a Gen2 1910 an 1920 at same time to pick between two as a second or third daily edc. Kept both. Redundancy should never be frowned upon.

Very robust all around, tough. I like their focused beams an throw with a little usable spill, I'm quite impressed.
Had a Preon2, wasn't as confidence inspiring if dropped an clip was as said always loosening tail cap which seemed to like to come on in a pocket a lot.
Short run times compared to this 1920, and higher output with greater spill but seemed overdone where pelican at half the price has built a nice edc kit.
Anodizing may not be as good as Preons, but I can live with marring for the small price paid.
Though with that said, they feel good in hand, fit and finish and size, at least for myself.
Jmtc.