New One Watt LS "S1704" 1st Impressions

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
New One Watt LS \"S1704\" 1st Impressions

One watt LS with 2 CR123A batteries

Built like a tank, with walls about 1/8" thick.
Nice functional clickie switch. (has momentary off, not momentary on)
No clue as to runtime yet.
Knurling is functional.
Machine work is good.
Finish is good.
Front and rear threads are lubricated and O-ring sealed.
Anti-roll 10 sided bezel.
Sorry, no candle mode.
Comes with unique belt holster and two DURACELL batteries.

Shown next to similarily sized Surefire G2 (Nitrolon)

253942.jpg

About as bright as other one watt LS lights
(Sorry, I have NO light measuring equipment.)

One unusual feature is some sort of coating or seal on the lens.

142358.jpg

Head removes to reveal guts for ease of modding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

299866.jpg

Nice bright hot spot with plenty of sidespill.

580132.jpg

I've only had it for a few hours, but so far I'm pleased with it for $39.95. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New One Watt LS

Is that "S1704" part of the Nuwai line?

-Brand name?
-Where did'ya get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been looking at the 1X123 models that are sold at GoldenGadgets, as well. I'm gonna let someone else "buy and post" before I spring for one, though!

PJD

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

can you remove the upper part of the bezel (lens one)? or is the lens glued to the bezel?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

shiftd:
The bezel assembly appears to be glued together, presumeably to enhance water resistance.
(see bottom photo of light submerged in water)

vcal:
Brand name is unknown, but I got it from (CPF Banner ad sponsor) GoldenGadgets.com. See link provided by PhotonBoy, or click here: http://goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=124
(The page may load slowly.)

PJD:
I also tend to be cautious, but someone has to be first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The shipping was prompt, and I am happy with the light thus far.

Everyone:
I did chat on the phone with someone from Golden Gadgets. They sound like a rational and sincere operation. The website also lists three other one watt LS models that I find interesting. My plan is to use this as my daily grab light and/or EDC (fits nice in my SF G2 pouch) until I've gone through a set or two of batteries, and then maybe pick up one of the other models.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Is it direct drive or is there some sort of regulator? Same question of the 1x123 lights as well. Odd that the 1x123 lights cost $10.00 more than the 2x123!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

richpalm:
Yeah, I also like the white cylinder.
Regarding tint: mine is white. If I stare at the hotspot long enough, a can see a TOUCH of brown or purple. Further staring reveals... floating spots.

Roy:
Don't know/won't know about regulation until I burn through the batteries. Regarding the pricing... welcome to supply and demand marketing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I suspect that when they auctioned off some of these on Ebay, that the bids indicated what they could expect to get for each individual product. I also suspect that it would be a lot easier for them to lower a price later on, than it would be for them to raise it. Personally, I see a new source for some new lights. I hope that these guys make money, stay in business, keep supporting CPF, and keep expanding the product line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless, I like your beer pitcher beamshot! BPB? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Okay, so it's probably a water pitcher. The word "beer" seemed to fit the name better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That light looks pretty good. Personally, I like simpler, more streamlined designs such as this one over the futuristic looking ones we sometimes see. And I really like the ability to swap out the entire star. Nice feature!

Wish it didn't have a reverse tactical switch though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I don't suppose the threading and tube dimensions are compatible with any of the SureFire accessories?

As far as that seal, I'm wondering if it's not just a rubber gasket pressed against the lens. Your photo makes it look like that.

Also, are you in a position to get some measurements, such as a lux reading for this light? And maybe some beamshots against a wall, at distance, etc.? I could do so but would need to get together with you or borrow your light for a little while. That sort of info would be really helpful in comparing this light to others, like the Pelican M6 LED.

Anyway, thanks for the review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif (PM or email me if you want to discuss the testing.)

Richpalm, that light you linked is pretty interesting, though the price seems a little high for what's basically a generic Chinese light. If it were $29.95, I might buy one immediately! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless,
AHHH, the beer pitcher contains some water?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

but i just hate something glued together though, less versatility and sounds cheep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
But I admit it looks so damn kewl, looks a little like pelican though.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless, one more thing you might be able to answer. Is there any room under the star, like maybe a little compartment under there, in which a modder might be able to install a regulation circuit?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milky:
The seal is something applied to the OUTSIDE of the lens.

The star unit just screws off by hand, revealing the battery compartment. Neat.
(And it even still works after I screwed it back in!!!)

Neither end of my G2 fits on the S1704. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

As stated in my original post, I have NO light measuring equipment other than my eyes.

Beam shots - I live in a VERY light polluted area, so distance shots would be basically useless.

Just remember that "The camera NEVER lies."

778587.jpg

shiftd:
Contents of the pitcher was supposed to be ice tea, but I did'nt want anyone figuring that I had majorly lost the Luxeon Lottery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

LMAO stainless. Valid argument /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Try using smirnoff, instead of water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
Try using smirnoff, instead of water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shiftd:
The pitcher is empty now.
Had it been filled with Smirnof last nite,
my description of the hotspot would have
probally included references to
pink elephants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ufokillerz

Enlightened

they had some of those on ebay a while ago, their website had a xmas coupon, so i think that was the reason they told me it was out of stock lol. the single cell seems more expensive then the double cells for some reason, thats weird, maybe the 2 cells have resistors while the single cells have some sort of regulator.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll bet $10. to a donut that the one cell light costs more becos of a necessary voltage booster...unless they've got some mighty loooow forward voltage Luxeons that can put out that claimed 25 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I'm guessing (again) -the 2 cell (6v.) light only needs a resistor to operate normally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif