What Are The Most Rugged Flashlights?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think you could buy a wide range of Surefires and be very happy and most definitely; the second you hold a Ra in your hand, especially the Twisty, you get the feeling you could drive tanks across it or throw it from mountaintops and have it not only work, but laugh it off at the same time!

Ra Twisty for absolute toughness!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Last edited:

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an opinion on the toughest flashlights. However, with a buttload of flashlight mavens from which to garner the very best info in the world today (CPF'RS); I am incredulous that manufacturers are not listening.
For example: If a manufacturer is touting a "tactical" flashlight; hell, the least they could do is PROVE its toughness, since the 'tactical' label should not be an arbitrary one, it should exude macho toughness. Therefore, a 'Glock'-type toughness video should be the norm. The Fenix TK40 torture test was VERY convincing and a definite sales catalyst.
Sometimes; seemingly small things, make a helluva difference between success and failure, especially if you're making a 'tank' series of lights.

The torture test is but one seemingly small thing; there are many others.

Happy Christmas and may you receive many tough lights to brighten your way!!!!
4Sevens have some very tough lights, but you wouldn't know it:poke:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why the SureFire 6P/9P tend to be given so much praise as highly rugged and reliable lights. I'm not disagreeing that they are rugged/reliable, but no more or less so than just about any SureFire.

What makes the tailcap of a 6P (Z41) any less reliable than that of a C2/M2/M3/M3T/M4/etc? I would, without wanting to get worms everywhere, suggest that click on/off tailcaps are generally less reliable than twisty tailcaps. But even with that assumption, in that respect the likes of the LX2/A2L/L1 are just as reliable as the 6P.

Regards,
Tempest

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I wonder why the SureFire 6P/9P tend to be given so much praise as highly rugged and reliable lights. I'm not disagreeing that they are rugged/reliable, but no more or less so than just about any SureFire.

Regards,
Tempest

They really aren't. I have cracked and dented my share of 6P pyrex + bezels, from waist high drops onto concrete. The Lexan / Nitrolon G2 bezel is definitely more rugged than the 6P/C2.... from what I have found.

The Z41 twisty on the other hand has proven to be very reliable in my light. I have dropped my 6P hard enough on that tailcap to gouge chunks of metal from it, but yet it continues to work 100%. It can also handle a TON of current at various voltages, with very low resistance so for the IMR-P91 crowd its a worry free slam dunk.

I modded my Z41-HA to a reverse clicky and completely regret doing that.:thumbsdow

I dont intentionally abuse my lights, they just get roughed up from my own clumsy-ness. The 6P is my walk home from the bus stop late at night torch, as well as the light I use to change motor oil, and fix stuff around the house. The DX-MCE drop in has handled all the rough/tumble abuse just fine. The body was bored to 18mm by modoo and shows no signs of failure.

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lexan / Nitrolon G2 bezel is definitely more rugged than the 6P/C2.... from what I have found.

I think that's quite possible. Neither material is really likely to be seriously damaged from regular use, but nitrolon, at least visually, holds up a lot better to dings and scrapes.

The Z41 twisty on the other hand has proven to be very reliable in my light. I have dropped my 6P hard enough on that tailcap to gouge chunks of metal from it, but yet it continues to work 100%.

Likewise. I've gouged chunks of aluminium out of the Z41 of my most used 6P. Just use a metal file and smooth off the rough edge and it's good to go again.

Although, I have broken a different Z41.

I dont intentionally abuse my lights, they just get roughed up from my own clumsy-ness. The 6P is my walk home from the bus stop late at night torch, as well as the light I use to change motor oil, and fix stuff around the house.

I find it more unusual that 90% of the photos of flashlights I see posted here on the forums show a pristine (or near enough) light that looks like it has hardly been used. There's no point in spending the extra cash for a rugged flashlight if you're going to wrap it in cotton wool instead of using it like the tool it is!

I understand buying a flashlight as part of a collection and little more, but even the photos of peoples' EDC flashlights can't help but make me think said people didn't need the sturdy aluminium, Type III anodised flashlights they have purchased when they don't seem to have subjected them to anything other than pocket lint.

But I know it's not as simple as that, and that reliability is a desirable quality when making a flashlight purchase. Even if you're not kicking down doors, it's nice to know that your money has been spent on a reliable piece of equipment.

Regards,
Tempest

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
While I'm not surprised there are lots of kudos going to Surefire, I have a hard time understanding the lack of support for the Ra Twisty, which to me feels to be the tougher light by far. I mean, you could probably use one for holding tracks on a 966 and still be able to use it at the end of the day! :naughty:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm not surprised there are lots of kudos going to Surefire, I have a hard time understanding the lack of support for the Ra Twisty, which to me feels to be the tougher light by far. I mean, you could probably use one for holding tracks on a 966 and still be able to use it at the end of the day! :naughty:

+1

some people like Hummers...some like tanks.:laughing:

;)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Lack of support? I read RA Twisty at least 4 times maybe.

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
Just about any flashlight can be made to increase the toughness from drops by application of shock absorbing rubber around the bezel and tail section. This could be as simple as wrapping rubber mastic tape which is used for electrical connections for moisture seal, pad and splice connections. Or any rubber cover like the mini mag anti roll bezel cover. As everyone knows when shipping an item padding is always a good thing. Just a thought.

kts

Enlightened
The Fenix T1 must be one of the most rugged lights ever made, I remember that several CPF members tried to kill it :crackup: