What Are The Most Rugged Flashlights?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my twisty, but maybe if it was sitting on C4 when it exploded it might not make it.

Other than that, I have no doubt it will work. :twothumbs

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
That's my point. Although I think the Ra Twisty is probably much more robust, the 6P is mentioned many more times, which leads me to suspect very few people have Twisty's or are just voting their favorite light?

I don't know, but the Twisty is one tough light and I never even guessed at the build quality until I got one in my hands!

Well I looked into the Ra Twisty some time ago and it was OUT OF STOCK. So it don't matter if the quality and build is the best if someone can't get one. I bet it's still out of stock. Anyone know if they are still made?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Henry has stopped production of the Twisty. :(

Too bad, I love mine. It'd be interesting to see one with a K2 emitter.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Peak SS Eiger,3 led Matterhorn or Night Patrol.
Bull-et-proof (well almost....):whistle:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well I looked into the Ra Twisty some time ago and it was OUT OF STOCK. So it don't matter if the quality and build is the best if someone can't get one. I bet it's still out of stock. Anyone know if they are still made?
No it doesn't. The question had nothing to do with price or availability and anyone here is capable of getting one with just a little effort applied in the Marketplace.

Last time I looked I had two of them and it wasn't hard for me to get them either.

donn_

Flashaholic
In terms of nothing more than brutish tank-like construction and simplicity, I think it's a toss-up between a few lights.

Mike Jordan's Mega Micro:

IMGP2479.jpg

Extremely thick body walls of T7075 aluminum, twisty operation, and no moving parts to break. I prefer the original single-mode Diamond Dragon model.

Then there's Barbarin's "Bomb Proof" host.

IMGP2698.jpg

Again, very thick 6082 aluminum walls, twisty operation, 5mm thick polycarbonate window, and waterproof to 200 meters.

Finally, Amonra's prototype 3xSSCP4 dive light.

diver01.jpg

4mm wall thickness, 6mm thick optical glass window and magnetic switch. Tested waterproof to 100 meters.

Runners up would include:

McLuxIII HD45 (4mm acrylic lens)
McLuxIII-T (Ti twisty)
Ra Twisty 85 (red low)
Brass FireFly
Surefire Nitrolon lights

Although I really prefer clicky switches on my lights, none of what I consider the toughest lights would have one, for obvious reasons. There is one, however, which may end up qualifying. Malkoff's ceramic coated EMS orange MD2 with it's Judco clicky. It's too new to know, but it feels like a rock.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
No it doesn't. The question had nothing to do with price or availability and anyone here is capable of getting one with just a little effort applied in the Marketplace.

Last time I looked I had two of them and it wasn't hard for me to get them either.

Good to know. Still the G2Z/G2/6P/9p tail seems bomb proof. Also not sure what would create a greater shock to the guts in a drop. Thick AL or lower mass durable plastic? Heck if I know. Still my point that there are lots of RA Twisty support stands and seems more so given the light isn't even made any more and clearly had a much shorter production run than some others like a 6P. Been looking at the Ra Clicky and hope they start selling the Twisty again. Wonder why they stopped?

Last edited:

cal..45

Enlightened
what good is a tank build case for if the switch might fail? therfore my vote goes to the nitecore D10. i've dropped the little sucker quite a few times, including from my bike at the speed of 20-30km/h, it has been covered with ice, snow and mud, it was exposed to 40° plus a well as 18° minus and even used once as a searchlight in a sewage pipe. it still works like a charme. rugged test passed - for me.

cheers

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
what good is a tank build case for if the switch might fail? therfore my vote goes to the nitecore D10.
You're suggesting that the switch on the Ra Twisty is not up to the same standards of the case it's in, or more to the point, the reliability of a D10?!? :crackup:

Gatsby

Enlightened
what good is a tank build case for if the switch might fail? therfore my vote goes to the nitecore D10. i've dropped the little sucker quite a few times, including from my bike at the speed of 20-30km/h, it has been covered with ice, snow and mud, it was exposed to 40° plus a well as 18° minus and even used once as a searchlight in a sewage pipe. it still works like a charme. rugged test passed - for me.

cheers

I have no problem with the build quality but from my experience and many others the PD series lights have, at best, finicky switches and are quite picky about the amount and type of lubrication. I'm very pleased yours has held up so well but the general consensus is that they take a good bit of TLC to keep them working reliably.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of nothing more than brutish tank-like construction and simplicity, I think it's a toss-up between a few lights.

Mike Jordan's Mega Micro:

IMGP2479.jpg

Extremely thick body walls of T7075 aluminum, twisty operation, and no moving parts to break. I prefer the original single-mode Diamond Dragon model.

where can I get one of those mike jordans???...:faint:

kts

Enlightened
There's a story of an E2E on the SF website that got frozen in a duck pond for a few weeks/months(?). Pulled it outta the muck and it fired right up...

I like stories too, but I need video to believe :p