What Are The Most Rugged Flashlights?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I've been using Surefires ever since they started making flashlights (I own a couple that are etched with the Laser Products name). My weapon lights are all Surefire. They are fabulous lights.

But no Surefire I've ever owned, handled or seen comes anywhere close to being as rugged as a Ra Twisty! It's not even close!

The question being asked here is not about machining or finish. It isn't asking about technology or design. While some of those things go into it, the question being asked is about ruggedness.

The Ra Twisty is the most rugged, survivable light I've ever known.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
The rugged torches I own are :-

1 duracell 2xaa ruberthing age unkonown but very old had many leaky batts always cleans up and works lives in tool box.:drool:
2 3x 2aa mags all at least 15 years old now with teralux upgrdes left in cars and tool boxes camping trips mud water dirt cold heat still getting regular use.:twothumbs
3 inova key ring button cell light 4-5 years old still going strong but a few signs of old age ie rubber button pealing a little, new design seems to be all in one case not rubber button:grin2:
4 nitecore ezcr2 still new but hangs on keys a few chips in the HA but thats just cosmetics.
5 Girlfriends ex10 always in her pocket so still looking good.
6 Fenix pd 30 used as work edc appprox 1year, been out in the rain and dropped many times Rolled of back of truck onto concrete etc great light, HA wearing off at edges but to me that adds charcater same as wear on mags looks good.
7 TK30 only had it since xmas day but it will get used and abused in fact used almost every night since xmas and have no doubts it will last a long time.
8 An original led lensser 1.25watt v2 I think thats its name 3aa was my edc before the pd30 the lenser went through the washing machine and then the tumble dryer and is still going strong.
9 two petzl head torches 1 tikka and 1 xp both been out in the rain and well used for camping and working on cars.

In fact I abuse to some degree all my lights. There all brought to be used they have all been left in cars (mainly my landrover for night time off roading) in the summer and winter and all been camping/hiking or used to work on cars left in the mud and rain etc and survived.
Most quality lights will be fairly rugged as there the sort of thing that gets carried about dropped and used in places that will harm them.

So which of these gets my vote my mags of course not the brightest or newest, smallest, oldest or biggest not even my favorite, but so far the best due to a simple design that lasts and can be upgradded there still very usable and impress the average guy on the street and I know if i give it to some one to use the will know how to, If i give someone my pd30 they automatically unscrew the head:mad:.

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbsfor mini mags

Ps I love the light on my casio pro trek prg-80t cool greenie blue colour only good for lighting up the watch but its automatic only works when dark and when watch is tilted towards me and never had to replace the batteries in 2+ years as its solar powered also get banged in to sometng everday. (probably should get a smaller watch) They call it tough solar they were right:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

irlmarko

Newly Enlightened
The original Leatherman Monarch I use as a work carry has been extremely robust despite ~2yrs of being battered. It's a bit heavy on the hip but that's ok.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already posted in this thread saying how tough the Twisty is, but I just wanted to throw another vote out for the Muyshondt Aeon.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I already posted in this thread saying how tough the Twisty is, but I just wanted to throw another vote out for the Muyshondt Aeon.
I agree the Ra Twisty is the toughest and of all the responses I've seen with other candidates are mostly fielded by people who have never seen a Twisty in person. I'll also answer your Aeon with a bronze Ion!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Thats because a lot of people in here thinks that Surefire is the ultimate light, it was, 5 years ago, time changes :cool:

Yeah it was, in fact it was great 5, 10, 15 yrs back, it still is today, and it will be 5, 10, 15 years from now. That's not my opinion, it's the general consensus.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Yeah it was, in fact it was great 5, 10, 15 yrs back, it still is today, and it will be 5, 10, 15 years from now. That's not my opinion, it's the general consensus.
That wasn't the question though. No one disputes that Surefire makes some excellent and very tough lights, but it sounds like you are one of the ones who has never handled a Ra Twisty. Do yourself a favor and try one out. May not be your cup of tea, but you will probably take liking to it!
Again, the question was about the most rugged lights, of which Surefire is most definitely one of, but the Twisty is at the peak of the hill on this one.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
That wasn't the question though. No one disputes that Surefire makes some excellent and very tough lights, but it sounds like you are one of the ones who has never handled a Ra Twisty. Do yourself a favor and try one out. May not be your cup of tea, but you will probably take liking to it!
Again, the question was about the most rugged lights, of which Surefire is most definitely one of, but the Twisty is at the peak of the hill on this one.

Your right kd, it wasn't the question, I just responded to kts's comment. I have not handled a RA light, I would like to in the near future. Of all the lights I have handled, I have to say SF, it has been that way for the last 15 yrs for me. RA's do get a good following here, you hardly hear a bad word about them, I might have to see what all the fuss is about.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Your right kd, it wasn't the question, I just responded to kts's comment. I have not handled a RA light, I would like to in the near future. Of all the lights I have handled, I have to say SF, it has been that way for the last 15 yrs for me. RA's do get a good following here, you hardly hear a bad word about them, I might have to see what all the fuss is about.
I bought a couple Ra's just out of curiosity, which is actually how I ended up with a couple Surefire's too! Love them both, but to tell the truth they're both a bit more industrial than my preferences allow, although I can't bring myself to part with them! My favorite lights are my tiny Draco and LF2XT but my admiration for all out toughness goes to Surefire for streamlined utilitarian toughness, and of course to the "You've got to be kidding!" tough Ra Twisty!

KTS didn't really mean that in a mean-spirited way, but just noting that for a lot of people, they get used to thinking of a particular product as tops without noticing what has come over the horizon in the way of newer offerings.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
The light I've carried and used on a daily basis is an Ultrafire C1 (Centurion clone). It's been dropped many times and the only real damage is to the bezel, I can't unscrew the lens retaining ring. If I'd thought about it at the time I'd have machined the crenellations off the strike bezel and used that. If the lens breaks now I'm stuck.

I'm extremely happy with how the finish has held being only TypeII, of course the sharp edges are bright and worn but it is far more durable than I thought.

I run a 3 stage Nailbender MC-E in it which has survived being dropped in it for a year so that's great testament to the durability of Dave's products.

If it died I think I'd probably go the same route again, I think I'd cry if I saw one of my beautiful C2s tumbling into the bilge bouncing off every pipe on the way. :oops:would not be the word used:devil:.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some of my most rugged lights.
Dragonsub lux4, Fenix tk11, malkoff md2, valiant twisty
Picture-022rug.jpg

Picture-027rug.jpg

The dragonsub feels like a war club, the most solid feel i have felt in a flashlight. Dive rated to 200meters. Its direct driven so ruggedness can have its downsides.
The md2/tk11 seems to be even matched. the tk11 has smoother treads, and the md2 seems to have the most robust switch. I guess both switches can fail someday, but i'm not expecting it to happen soon. I got the md2 yesterday, and instantly liked it for its good build, nice switch, and warm tint. Its also more pocket friendly than the tk11. The tk11 is going to the glove box in my car now i guess.
The little twisty is my companion at work, have dropped it several times, accidental dunked it in a bucket filled with polyester, and later dunked it in acetone (for hardcore cleaning). still look almost new.
Now i want to try out a ra twisty, i remember reading here on cpf somewhere that they might be re released in the future:thumbsup:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now having gotten my hands upon an older HDS B42XR, I want to restate the Ra line up. If they are built anything like my B42, I have no doubts about them surviving darn near anything that comes there way! The build quality and attention to detail on this light is simply astounding!

SunStar

Enlightened
Wow... these pictures of "rugged" lights are all too pretty:cool:. I would like to see some pictures of proven ruggedness:grin2:.

For me, I'd say the double o-ringed C2 with Malkoff M60 and twisty. My impression is that this light could stand a lot of hard use. Although my L1 has survived the punishment of a toddler for the last couple of years and has become the "submarine" in the bath tub. It's fared quite well for being thrown across the room landing on tile floors too - multiple times. He's now taken a liking to my Kroma - so we'll see how that holds up.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... these pictures of "rugged" lights are all too pretty:cool:. I would like to see some pictures of proven ruggedness:grin2:.

Maybe its because they are build to last? Even the finish lasts. As mentioned i use my little twisty at work. It's loose in my pocket filled with HSS drills, stainless bolts, bitz, screwdrivers ect. And guess what, it don't scratch at all (except the plastic optic). Its a tool so i don't really care if it does. When i got my neutral quark mini, i took it to work, giving it the same "torture pocket" as my twisty normally uses. At lunchtime i took it out, lots of scratches. I have used the twisty for about 1/2 year at work, still looks great. The quark mini was used 1/2 day, and it has lots of scars from "the battle of the pocket tools". That dont really prove any ruggedness, but i would say its a big+ if the light can hold on to its ano. I dont baby any of my stuff, but i wont trash it to "proof" its ruggedness either.