1x AAA, Low/Med/High mode - went with Life Flux LF2XT and I'm in LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, not the Preon. UPDATE: Here's my dilemma, help!!!

Get yourself one of the best and most versatile lights available regardless of battery type: LF2XT. And while you're at it, make sure you contact Kuku to get it with the titanium body!

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, not the Preon. UPDATE: Here's my dilemma, help!!!

So, to all the LF2XT owners out there...

What do you like about your LF2XT and why? And, how do you use your light?

In detail...

-RC

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

So, to all the LF2XT owners out there...

What do you like about your LF2XT and why? And, how do you use your light?

In detail...

-RC
I started off just trying to find a decent AAA light, and with AAA being my main obsession it didn't take long before my dethroned L0D had many competitors, most of which ended up being re-sold in the MarketPlace, gifted away, or... still sitting on my shelf!

To tell the truth I've only given away a couple LF2XT's: one to my brother and the other to a buddy who writes computer programs. For the serious thinker the LF2XT is very easy to use, but it has baffled many of the friends whom I have seen fit to give an L0D or iTP to.

I love the very nice low I can get to in short order, the customizable user setting and also quick access to high. In CUI I can always know it's going to come on in the user selectable mode, which will be whatever level I have set it to, and since it is so easy and quick, I can reset it for day, which I prefer a little higher, or night, when I set it down a little lower.

I fell for this light so hard that I went ahead and bought one of the titanium bodies for it, which I believe to have the premier knurling of any light made! Perfectly grippy, but not sharp, and as we say in the jewelry industry, loupe proof! (Loupe proof = No detectable imperfections, even under a loupe!)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

To be honest, I'm really nervous of the UI.

This is because I really don't like the UI of the Nitecore EX-10 that I have, which I think is similar to the UI of the LF2XT.

If I could program the custom UI to a interface like the Fenix UI, then I would be in Heaven. But, I've heard that you have to double-click for the next mode, which, I don't know if I'm going to like or not.

I guess we'll see. Also, the custom UI sounds REALLY complicated... are there any YouTube videos that explain this better?

-RC

P.S. Do you find the UI tedious or intuitive?

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode - going with Life Flux LF2XT - How do you like your

<3 LF2XT

I just like using the simple UI on it. Basically you get to set a single level as 'default' that it always turns on at.... then its just double tap for super low or tap-press for super high. Really I never care for any other levels. BTW I could never handle the Nitecore's UI because the memory mode screws it all up. I'd be interested if anyone actually prefers Nitecore's UI over Liteflux's.

Ti.jpg

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

To be honest, I'm really nervous of the UI.

This is because I really don't like the UI of the Nitecore EX-10 that I have, which I think is similar to the UI of the LF2XT.

If I could program the custom UI to a interface like the Fenix UI, then I would be in Heaven. But, I've heard that you have to double-click for the next mode, which, I don't know if I'm going to like or not.

I guess we'll see. Also, the custom UI sounds REALLY complicated... are there any YouTube videos that explain this better?

-RC

P.S. Do you find the UI tedious or intuitive?
Completely different than the EX10/D10 UI and much easier to actuate. I really like the D10 myself, but find the LF2XT to be a more perfected approach.

I think you're really going to like the CUI and I think there are only a handful of owners using the FUI fulltime. Once you're in CUI, it's so easy! Push once, it's on, push and hold it gets brighter until you let go. Push and hold again it gets dimmer. One more push and it's off. If you want low that's where the double click comes in, but it's an electronic switch more like what's used on the 120P and is very easy to get addicted to! Continuous double clicks will toggle between low and user selected setting. Hold down your second click and you'll toggle between high and user selected setting.
It won't take long for you to understand why this has become the holy grail for many of us here and if I were to have only one light left to me it would probably be my LF2XT.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode - going with Life Flux LF2XT - How do you like your

Don't worry, Ryan. It's really not that complicated (even the FUI). After you've spent a few hours playing with it you'll laugh at your apprehension. That's not to say you won't need to refer to the manual every now and then.

Geoff

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

So, what are the best cells to run in the LF2XT?

I hear 10440s and Eneloops.

What's the deal with both of these and how do they differ?

Also, what about Alkalines and Lithium disposables?

Thanks,
-RC

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

FliGuyRyan ,

The best part is ... you can use ALL those batt. types.
The other thing ... using a 10440 , which is 4.2v , the tiny light will be brighter .

There is one TIP I want to give you :

If you are concerned about it coming on in your pocket , buy your light from KuKu427 ....... if you ask him to , he will put a stiffer spring under the button which will go a long way towards preventing pocket turn-ons . Remember you can always slightly unscrew the head from the body which will totally prevent turn on . And doing that is not really much of a bother , you can twist it back one-handed , then click .

If you're concerned about pocket turn-on .... you REALLY need that stiffer spring .... tell KuKu I sent ya.

I'm like kaichu dento , if I could have only 1 light , it would be the LF2XT .... I just ordered another.

You can get lots of help on here for programing it , if you need it. The chart initially looks hard - but it's not.

You will enjoy the LF2XT , I wear mine all night on a neck lanyard , and use it all night.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm like kaichu dento , if I could have only 1 light , it would be the LF2XT .... I just ordered another.
Yeah, I just ordered a second one myself and like it even better than my first. (just some little things) It's making me want to order even another. :thinking: I'm sure I would in a heartbeat if they'd come out with another color, like say, a Red one! :poke: :devil:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

If you are concerned about it coming on in your pocket , buy your light from KuKu427 ....... if you ask him to , he will put a stiffer spring under the button which will go a long way towards preventing pocket turn-ons . Remember you can always slightly unscrew the head from the body which will totally prevent turn on . And doing that is not really much of a bother , you can twist it back one-handed , then click .

If you're concerned about pocket turn-on .... you REALLY need that stiffer spring .... tell KuKu I sent ya.

You can get lots of help on here for programing it , if you need it. The chart initially looks hard - but it's not.

You will enjoy the LF2XT , I wear mine all night on a neck lanyard , and use it all night.
Great post and nice tip on the stiffer spring!

However we are not alike; you have too many, I have not enough! :grin2:
Yeah, I just ordered a second one myself and like it even better than my first. (just some little things) It's making me want to order even another. :thinking: I'm sure I would in a heartbeat if they'd come out with another color, like say, a Red one! :poke: :devil:
Can I get a red one now too! :popcorn:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

TooManyGizmos,

About that spring... is it then like the same stiffness as a Nitecore EX-10? If it is, I wouldn't like it. If it is a little softer then I would like it.

How "soft" is the stock? Is it like a half-press on a Fenix?

I don't know... can I have both? lol

Thanks... I can't wait. I'm ordering tonight.

-RC

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stock spring is pretty soft .
I don't use or have the stiffer spring .
Yes you can have both .
Have KuKu include a stiffer spring so you can swap them out yourself .
Then decide which you prefer.

Email KuKu and discuss it with him . Then buy .
P.S. / I just talked to KuKu427 about your spring need ... he is waiting for your order.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened

TooManyGizmos, thanks for the spring info. Didn't know Steve offered this as an alternative. Can anyone with the stiffer spring comment on the tactile feel of the button and its responsiveness?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

tygger ,

As I recall , Steve only mentioned it a few weeks ago .

I really doubt that many are using that stiffer spring ... maybe 4 at most (my guess)

You should contact Steve for how it feels - and how well it prevents pocket turn-ons .

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

TooManyGizmos,

Steve (kuku) was kind enough to give me two free cells on top of the two that come with the charger for my birthday. Other than these 10440 cells, what gives longer runtimes but keep a good brightness? Lithium?

-Thanks,
RC

P.S. Should I stick to the 10440?

bexamous

Newly Enlightened

I say use 10440 when possible. Primary Lithiums as backup. I have some Eneloops but dislike using them because 1. not as bright, and 2. more coil whine than 10440. The buzzing noise might vary from light to light but mine is definitely much much louder with Eneloops.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

TooManyGizmos,
Steve (kuku) was kind enough to give me two free cells on top of the two that come with the charger for my birthday. Other than these 10440 cells, what gives longer runtimes but keep a good brightness? Lithium?
-Thanks,
RC
P.S. Should I stick to the 10440?

So... then ,,,Happy Birthday :grouphug::party::grouphug::buddies:

Those four 10440's should keep you going in full brightness - cycle them to charger as you use them - you should always have a fresh one , with four around.
Did Steve also include the stiff spring to try - report back and let other members know if it stops pocket turn-on's .

Bexamous gave good answers about extended run time , and Eneloops . If you have Eneloops , you should try em . Be sure to activate low-voltage cut-off , to protect you new batteries . It WILL work in conjunction with 3-minute auto-off, so try that too.
Try it on a neck-lanyard at night ... very convenient .
Also see how you like TOTAL lock-out by loosening the head just a little.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Thanks for all your help with this topic...

This thread is being continued here.

-RC

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

By the way, does anyone know if the LF2XT is still having any problems?

I saw a thread with a few flaws maybe in the UI...

TooManyGizmos... I'm calling you out on this. You seem pretty knowledgeable about this topic.

-RC

Latest posts