1x AAA, Low/Med/High mode - went with Life Flux LF2XT and I'm in LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, bright, and not the Preon... twisty or clicky...

(Warning: if you're not into my rant about the Preon, please proceed to the next post... you were warned)

I don't like the concept of the twisty on the Preon because I'm being very picky. Since the clicky doesn't work (comes on in pocket, and I have wallet, cell phone on left, and light and keys in the right pocket), then I don't want to fool with the twisty. Sounds odd, but I want a light designed well from the beginning. If he updates his design to a harder switch on the back so it doesn't come on in the pocket (or make a rubber or metal shroud for it - recessed) then I'd be in. But... that's life. I'm picky like that. My SF Z2 with OpticsHQ tailcap comes on in my pocket sometimes (that's why I ordered the side switch to be the momentary). This makes sense. Good UI. The Preon isn't doing it for me right now.

I like the idea of the Quark Mini, IlluminaTi and the Lite Flux. Now it's which one...

I don't like the Preon. That's that... I'm not trying to be offensive - or sound ungrateful for your suggestions - but, I don't think it was well executed. Yes, this is my opinion, and I haven't even touched one, but research on here shows a lot of people don't like the clicky (and a lot of people do I understand that) and I am one of them because it's activated too easily. If it wasn't, I'd be all about the Preon. I don't like a protruding button, I like one that is shrouded and "protected" again accidental turn on as well as having the all-too-often-used feature of candle standing. It just doesn't really make sense to me why a button would be designed this way when it's known to go in one's pocket. Especially when it's not given a good amount of resistance.

Now, you'll say, "Well, you haven't tried it." True. Very true. I'm sure I would be awe-inspired by the brightness and the beauty of this little light. But I like function over form. And the function of the Preon isn't following its form in my opinion. What I do know is that if people are talking about how easily it's activated in a pocket, then I would be one of the people who would go to use it and find it dead upon initial turn on. If I can activate my OpticsHQ "protected" and shrouded tail-cap button, then I know I would activate the Preon's sitting-out-in-the-open-waiting-to-be-pressed-button.

That's my rant... didn't mean to go there, but that's my opinion.

(*No fellow forum members were harmed during the making of this rant...)

-RC

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, bright, and not the Preon... twisty or clicky...

I don't like the Preon. That's that... I'm not trying to be offensive - or sound ungrateful for your suggestions - but, I don't think it was well executed. Yes, this is my opinion, and I haven't even touched one, but research on here shows a lot of people don't like the clicky (and a lot of people do I understand that) and I am one of them because it's activated too easily. If it wasn't, I'd be all about the Preon. I don't like a protruding button, I like one that is shrouded and "protected" again accidental turn on as well as having the all-too-often-used feature of candle standing. It just doesn't really make sense to me why a button would be designed this way when it's known to go in one's pocket. Especially when it's not given a good amount of resistance.

The Preon I is a twisty light and can tail stand, the Preon II is with the clicky switch. To get a clicky for the the I, you must either buy the kit (and move the switch from the II to I) or buy a spare switch.

hotlight

Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, not the Preon. UPDATE: Here's my dilemma, help!!!

+1 for the Liteflux LF2XT.

it can still turn on in your pocket like any clicky, but as stated has the 3min auto off and ODP. and you can "lock it out" by barely turning the head.

the clicker may take a little getting used to.... but you'll enjoy this light once you set it up to your liking.

only thing I'd like on this light is a clip on the head so I can clip it to the bill of a cap. more aggressive knurling would be nice also.

best light I own so far.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Re: 1 cell AAA, Low/Med/High mode, not the Preon. UPDATE: Here's my dilemma, help!!!

UPDATE FROM POST 1: Just got the go-ahead from my wife for my birthday present... max I can spend $200, and that'll be cutting it close. I'm debating about these lights:

Lite Flux - LF2XT, LF3XT, Quark 123 - all in XP-G R5 attire.

I really wanted a AAA key-chain light - the LF2XT fits the bill - and a pocket EDC RCR123 runner to use my usual cells.

This is where things get sticky. I was going to get the tricked out titanium LF2XT for like $200, but that's absurd for just a key-chain light. I do want the $46 tritium tail button, but I'll probably forgo it right now.

So, if I spend $96 to get the beast that is the LF2XT upgraded by kuku427 (XP-G R5, sapphire window, 2x 10440 cells and charger), then that leaves me with one other choice:

The LF3XT (with just the XP-G R5 upgrade) or the Quark 123 R5...

The Lite Flux's UI sounds just amazing. Like, as in, what I've always wanted in a light. For awhile now I've been wanting the Quark 123, thought I was going to get it, but then found the Lite Flux models and it rocked my world. Although, the Lite Flux's UI by default sounds like a Nitecore PD EX-10 whereas the Quark 123 has a Fenix-type UI which I like the Fenix's a lot better than the Nitecore. Can you program a Lite Flux to act like a Fenix?

I thought I wanted a AAA key-chain light and a pocket 1x 123 light to replace my big SF Z2.

So, my question to you (sorry for all this middle talk) is what light is better between the two 123 lights, both in R5 attire. What are the differences? What are the shortcomings... help. I think the Quark would be cheaper, but I like the fact that the Lite Flux is upgradeable.

Man... this is complicated...

Thanks,
RC

P.S. the LF3XT upgraded will be $78 as opposed to what $59 for the Quark, not huge difference, but still about $20...

Last edited:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

Now, you'll say, "Well, you haven't tried it." True. Very true. I'm sure I would be awe-inspired by the brightness and the beauty of this little light. But I like function over form. And the function of the Preon isn't following its form in my opinion. What I do know is that if people are talking about how easily it's activated in a pocket, then I would be one of the people who would go to use it and find it dead upon initial turn on. If I can activate my OpticsHQ "protected" and shrouded tail-cap button, then I know I would activate the Preon's sitting-out-in-the-open-waiting-to-be-pressed-button.

That's my rant... didn't mean to go there, but that's my opinion.

(*No fellow forum members were harmed during the making of this rant...)

-RC

seems your rant is misplaced. the preon I is a TWISTY light, NOT a clicky. some people have installed an OPTIONAL clicky switch, but that's not how it comes.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Not misplaced... when it comes to the idea, the concept of the Preon, I do not like the fact that the clicky was not done right. Therefore the theme and thought behind it for me is ruined. Like I said, it's personal, opinionated and probably a little prejudiced.

I realize the Preon 1 can go either way, I researched this light a lot. But, the LF2XT really fulfills a want I had but didn't even expect to exist - and that's the recessed tail button.

Please... just respect that I don't want a Preon. It's not for me.

-RC

Back to the original (and updated) question...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

+2 for the LiteFlux LF2XT.
If you like warm tint, how about a second LF2XT with XP-E Q4 4C? :devil:
Either one will serves as backup to the other and you need only to carry 1 type of spares.

If however you can save your second light purchase until ~mid-March, there are gonna be other (possibly better) choices as NiteCore, EagleTac, LiteFlux and others will ready the new 2010 line-up. :)

Moonshadow

Enlightened

I don't like the Preon. . . . I haven't even touched one

Since the clicky doesn't work (comes on in pocket, and I have wallet, cell phone on left, and light and keys in the right pocket)

OK, - you've never touched one, but it doesn't work and it comes on in your pocket ?

What I do know is that if people are talking about how easily it's activated in a pocket.
Which people ? Where ?

By all means tell us if you have had a problem with a light yourself, but you seem to be slagging the Preon off based on hearsay.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do read about the clicky issue from other threads.

In Selfbuilt's and AardvarkSagus's reviews, Selfbuilt mentioned it as a potential issue by stating "And the clicky switch is a little soft compared to full-size model switches" and AardvarkSagus stated "The protruding button of the clicky tailcap standard to the Preon II is so easy to push that accidental activation was the rule of the day. The frequency which I felt my pocket heating up from this light was quite surprising. In fact, I can confidently say that the interior of my pockets saw more of this lights runtime than I did during its time in the spotlight."

When it's coming from 2 reputable reviewers, I think this can be a concern for the OP, who wants to be careful in spending on a light (that will be a gift from his wife).

I, too, recommend the LF2XT. Not because it's better than Preon (as this is subjective) and the clicky issue aside, but it offers features I personally prefer.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Preon I is a twisty light and can tail stand, the Preon II is with the clicky switch. To get a clicky for the the I, you must either buy the kit (and move the switch from the II to I) or buy a spare switch.

The other issue with the clicky on the Preon I, (I bought the kit as well as the Preon II Tuxedo so I have a Preon I Tuxedo in effect) besides it turning itself on/off while in a pocket draining the battery when not in use, but the switch is intermittent especially if you remove the clip for it. Turning the clicky tail switch results in flickering, so if you tighten it all the way the light will not turn on. Not very reliable the way it is if you have to keep messing with the tail switch in order to get it working, which defeats the pur[pose of the clicky in the first place since the twisty with the regular flat tailcap works reliably, but not many prefer the twisty switch over a functioning clicky switch.

Moonshadow

Enlightened

Fair enough Zeruel, although the full quote is:

And the clicky switch is a little soft compared to full-size model switches - but that's a nitpick, given that there are so few clickies in lights this size.
[My italics] No explicit mention of pocket trouble there as far as I can see.

I've seen one other quote from someone who had the problem but mentioned it was easily solved by untwisting the head - but that's about it. There have been some reports of gritty switches, particularly with the titanium ones, but that's a different issue.

Given the small diameter of a AAA light, I don't think a recessed clicky is an option (unless you had very tiny fingers).

Anyway, I've got one on order myself so if I do end up setting my trousers on fire you can all tell me that you told me so . . .

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

If my choices were LF2XT and the Preon, the winner hands down would be the LF2XT. That said I still like the Preons a lot, just not happy with reliability of the switch and the battery drain situation.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

Heh, just to add another nail in the coffin FliGuy to seal your decision.

Selfbuilt quoted "But I am VERY impressed with the output/runtime performance of the LF2XT on all batteries, at all levels. Performance is simply outstanding!"

So although 26 mins is *relatively* short for a runtime on high, keep in mind that it is BRIGHT! and custom selecting a lower max will give it the 1-1.5 hours with the same brightness as other 1XAAA lights. In fact there are maybe 2 other AAA lights that can even properly compete in the Li-Ion arena, since others run the risk of overheating and burning out.

It almost reminds me of those crazy custom lights with huge current draws running on IMR batteries that will do 1000 lumens plus for like 10 minutes. Whats cool about the liteflux is that you can run this turbo mode, but you have an infinitely adjustable output spectrum.

Have a read at the Programmable UI flowchart thread and visualize how you would operate the Liteflux to make sure it is what you want in everyday use.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/219780

And download the manual
http://www.liteflux.com/english/product_detail.php?act=1&index=26

I use the Compact User Interface and have a pretty low user-set level, then I click and click-hold for max - so I basically go back and forth between the two. If its pitch dark, and, say I don't want to disturb my wife sleeping, I'll click on, then double click to go to the lowest setting. So, in the CUI it won't come on in lowest first unless I program my user-set level as the lowest.

Now in the Full User Interface FUI, you can set 5 custom modes (and I believe 1-5 depending on what you need - I haven't dabbled too much in the FUI yet), so you can set it to come on in lowest, then med, then high, and two others if you so desire. One thing about the FUI is if you just click-hold, it will act as a momentary max on, and as a possible defensive use if you click, click-hold it will go to max brightness and random strobe (all its missing is the crenelated strike bezel ha!)

I can't really comment between the LF3XT vs the Quark - I've got the quark mini 123, the levels are spaced nicely, love how its got the hidden strobe and SOS (which I'll never use practically, or maybe ONCE in my lifetime, but its there and not in the way which is great)

The only big obstacle I could see is the double click in the FUI of the liteflux series to change modes - thats not too appealing to me - but the CUI suites me just fine.

Do let us know what you decide upon, and hey, worst case, get the liteflux 2,3 and a quark, and keep em, or just sell one back in the marketplace. All popular lights that will be in demand.

I guess thats one consoling feature about the community here, is there are great deals to be had in the marketplace, and I have less hesitation to try something as I can always turn it back around for someone else to enjoy having only paid a 'try it for a while' fee.

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Zeruel, Beacon of Light and sqchram,

Thank you all for your input and proof that the Preon isn't quite perfected yet.

Moonshadow, now you can believe I wasn't just talking out my @$$, but yes, indeed I read "somewhere" that "somebody" said the Preon will turn on in your pocket.

For this reason... no Preon. Case Closed.

Now, as for the LF2XT and other decisions.

I'm really leaning toward the LF2XT and a Quark 123 since the UI of the 123 light is very important to me as I would use it the most. The low, low offered by the Quark, already with Sapphire window and R5 at $59 can't be beat - along with the tail-cap UI that I like and I actually like the fact it's skinny in the middle so you can you a forward pinch grip (I don't know the technical term).

Anyhow, I'm excited about the LF2XT and I will have to take the hit on the charger and cells. kuku was going to give me the charger and 10440 cells for free if I bought both lights. But... seeing that the LF3XT is $20 more expensive, it's more expensive to go that route entirely rather than just get a Quark 123 and the LF2XT. I will experiment with both systems and post back here with the results of my happiness, lol...

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. Moonshadow, you're off the hook on this one... I'll see you when I visit Scotland in like 20 years, lol... ;-)

-RC

P.S. The LF3XT's FUI makes me nervous that I would have to double click too much. The Quark's half click like the Fenix is near perfect to me. But, for a AAA light the LF2XT sounds like it can't be beat.

What are the best cells (for longest runtime) to use in the LF2XT?

Thanks again!

LED Cool

Enlightened

Hi FliGuyRyan,

glad you have decided on both LiteFlux lights, the LF2XT & LF3XT.
first time purchase on LiteFlux products and you bought two based on your research on CPF reviews, feedback & suggestion! that should say something about the quality of LiteFlux. :)

Congratulation on your purchase. :twothumbs
khoo

oh forgot to mention best AAA cells for longest runtime would be any reputable AAA NIMH with capacity closed to 1000mAh.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened

Hi FliGuyRyan,

glad you have decided on both LiteFlux lights, the LF2XT & LF3XT.
first time purchase on LiteFlux products and you bought two based on your research on CPF reviews, feedback & suggestion! that should say something about the quality of LiteFlux. :)

Congratulation on your purchase. :twothumbs
khoo

oh forgot to mention best AAA cells for longest runtime would be any reputable AAA NIMH with capacity closed to 1000mAh.

His post immediately above yours states that he decided on the LF2XT and the Quark 123.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

Warp,

Right on...

LED Cool I haven't bought the LF2XT yet nor the Quark 123.

I will buy the Quark first probably, then the LF2XT...

Thanks,
RC

LED Cool

Enlightened

His post immediately above yours states that he decided on the LF2XT and the Quark 123.

Warp,

Right on...
LED Cool I haven't bought the LF2XT yet nor the Quark 123.
I will buy the Quark first probably, then the LF2XT...

Thanks,
RC

:eek:oo: :oops: my bad. i must be really :tired: late last night. sorry for the confusion.

khoo