21700 Malkoff?

• 21700, it's time for even longer regulated runtime

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • 18650, it's compact, and it's already enough

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
The only issue I have with the single 21700 is it doesn't allow me a high enough low on the M61HOT or the M91 B-T heads I own. I will eventually put a 18650 Wildcat head on it and put it in my wife's glovebox.

I will however be buying 2 ( If you guys save me any) of the 2x21700 for my hound dog and Wildcat. Its not even really about the extended run times, although those are an obvious plus, for me its more of a ergo thing. I really like the diameter of the body and it really makes the pineapple style come to life. A lot of my flashlight usage is with gloved hands and the bigger size really helps.

Yup, I had the same idea with the 18650 wildcat and 21700 body, butttttt guess who now has a new favorite jacket pocket carry light hahaha

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me a big part is ergos as well. 2x18650 is just too skinny. 21700 tube is much better, but still not perfect for me (~30mm). But its as close as its gonna get. What Id also like is a tricap for the 21700 tube. I use a C-cell holster for the HD so it causes no problems for me. Xtar posted about 26800 cells, never heard of those before but size-wise they sound perfect for me. With those youd get 30mm outer diameter like with C cells.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
2336591D-F499-4B12-8A21-CC071B7302BF.jpeg
Oh yeah baby.

chip100t

Enlightened
I have a surefire fury intellibeam that I really love. It's quite a beefy torch for an 18650,

Would it be possible to customise it to run on 21700 cells.

QMT93

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just realized CPF is no longer on Tapatalk. No wonder I haven't received any updates in a while. What happened?

On other notes, I am so happy Gene finally presented a 21700 body. I guess now we wait for the 2x21700 body. Also, I think we should get a tricap for the 21700 body as well, to prevent rolling, and to look even cooler. What do you think?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody figured out a clip solution for this 21700 body? I love this body but simply don't use it because it's too heavy of a light with a head attached to just float around in the bottom of a pocket.

BTW, before anyone suggests it, a rigged up lanyard around the body is not a substitute for, nor does it take the place of, a clip. ;)

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooookaaaayy. So no. In no daily scenario is a Wildcat a natural pocket carry light. The "solution provided" may as well just be the holster Malkoff already provides. I do appreciate the try though. (y)

As a pocket carry light with an MDX head on it, it easily fits in a pocket. The (afterthought) Prometheus clip that Malkoff sells perhaps could be made to fit around the tail cap of the 21700. That is ideal. It clearly works for the 18650 body. It's obvious that like HDS, a clip for a Malkoff MD body is an afterthought.

I figured the CPF "body" would be able to come up with something as the clamor for this body size was enormous. It would make a perfect pocket carry light.

Sadly, it will remain on the dresser until a much needed clip is figured out. It sucks when an apparent much-needed part of a light turns out to be an afterthought...and ultimately, a failure.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well if gene ain't figured out how to put a clip on it it's doubtful we bunch would beat him to it. I'm sure he will come up with something. HDS has been struggling with the same issue for what a decade? And they even had a very good way of doing it In the first place. I don't think it's a priority for gene as this body tends to lend itself to the big boys. wildcat hound dog etc and there really not meant to clip in a pocket.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate it, Forrest.

Anywho, not sure why the perception would be that a single 21700 battery body would be for the "big boys?" They are way under powered and do not allow the "big boys" to be what the "big boys" were designed for: we've seen this exactly in this thread for proof. I'd posit that the single 21700 battery body was in fact NOT made for the "big boys."

I think Malkoff realize the failure with the MD2 body and its lack of a pocket clip and *because of the demand for one*, worked with Jason to come up a solution.

Hopefully, Gene will get with him again...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The reason I say it's for the big boys is because they draw the most juice and need extra runtime. Honestly with a M61 a 18650 will run for 3 hours down to 200+ lumens. Not to many people need more then that. But his 18650 HD and wildcat get real low after and hour. As far as the clip goes if your theory is that the clip was an afterthought and he screwed up with the MD2 you think he just forgot about all that and did it again with the 21700 tube? Whatever his reasons are i think he has/had a plan. Like I say I'm sure he will make something available. Mines on a 18650 HD head and it's perfect for it.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate it, Forrest.
I think Malkoff realize the failure with the MD2 body and its lack of a pocket clip and *because of the demand for one*, worked with Jason to come up a solution.

So intense.

I'm sure you already mic'd the OD of the tube....but for those who have not, the clip needs to be 1.032" or 26.2mm.

Solution 3, let's turn this lemon into lemonade:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let ole Forrest turn this 21700 body into a success:
I guarantee that pocket clip isn't coming off during your tactical mission
The clip is off a Fenix PD36R 21700. Don't judge me...my kid takes it to school on "Flashlight Friday".

51712673185_cc18b2d875.jpg

51712684405_98a8b96f72.jpg

Last edited: