Surefire M6 SMO/LOP reflector to increase THROW ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Hey All,

Over the years it seems that surefire has changed the reflector coatings on their wonderful Surefire M6 (KT4) heads. They have gone from a light orange peel to a medium/heavy OP or stipple. While this does a good job at smoothing out the beam, it also kills the throw.

I have a M6 head hosting a 1185 and the stippling on the reflector is so strong that it has basically merged the hotspot and corona. The light is bright, but doesn't throw much. I want my M6 to be able to really reach out and touch things :thumbsup:

I want to gauge how much interest there is in a replacement aluminum reflector finished in SMO or LOP. I don't have any capabilities/experience with this, but maybe someone on the forum will be persuaded with a strong interest to produce a new reflector (*cough* fivemega *cough) :party:

See this post from forum member: ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
It's pretty hard to get a really good shot of the reflector, this is about the best I can do. The first one is a pretty heavy OP (maybe even more so that most of the KT4s I've owned. The second one appears to be a VLOP reflector and came from a slightly older M6 purchased. Most of the 5-6 other KT4 have been just a little less OP than the first on, but it is significant when it comes to a distance based showdown between lights.

If I put a WA1185 in the MOP reflector and a WA1111 in the VLOP (both focused perfectly), I can throw further with the dimmer light.

KT4_OP_02.JPG

KT4_OP_03.JPG
Here is a post by wquiles showing head disassembly and what the reflector looks like:
So please post if you are interested and maybe we can get this project off the ground :twothumbs

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler: Surefire M6 SMO/LOP reflector to increase THROW

Whatever gets designed needs to get rid of that shock isolation. They rob as much as 20% of the OTF lumens (in the spill of course).

bigC

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Dumb question warning, sorry :eek:

There's no way that this reflector being discussed could be compatible with the KT1&2 TH as well as the shock-isolated M6 head right?

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened

Very interesting point bigchelis...I would be willing to sacrifice the "shock isolated bezel" to gain back some of those lumens (and possibly get even more throw with a new reflector to utilize the added space). I know I treat my M6 like a baby (and I have a suspicion that a lot of members do too)...Unless the head is going on a rifle I don't think it is really needed or will ever be utilized. Every mag hotwire and a ton of other surefire incandescents do just fine without the shock isolation at the bezel.

Just got word from Fivemega that he is on board as long as there is enough interest :party:

cryhavok

Enlightened

Dumb question warning, sorry :eek:

There's no way that this reflector being discussed could be compatible with the KT1&2 TH as well as the shock-isolated M6 head right?

The KT1/2/3/4/5/ M3T/4/6 all use the same reflector so yes, it would be compatible.

So...who want's to increase the throw of their surefire turbohead and really make it a "turbo" head :)

Post up your interest :thumbsup:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested. Also interested in a bezel ring removal tool for the KT1/2 and KT4 tool to swap out the reflector.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened

In for one for my Megallanium 1909 Searchlight.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Also interested, depending on cost. SMO only, not LOP.

Edit: Any guesses as to a potential lux increase for SMO over the SF OP like in the second pic in post #1?
I know that the possible variation would be wide, but could an increase be ~25%, or perhaps greater? :confused:

2nd Edit: If I was to be interested, this reflector would need to be compatible with the non-shock-isolated KT1/2 TH's as well as the shock-isolated M6 TH.

Last edited:

alantch

Enlightened

I'm in for 1 or even 2, depending on price. Would prefer VLOP to LOP. And the ring removal tool too.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be in for one of these. As the above pictures show of the KT4 heads I have - you can be sure I am running my 1185 with the lesser OP of the two. To be honest I have never seen another head with as low a VLOP as that head. Most of the other newer ones are MOP like the other head.

I'm not sure if SMO or VLOP would be the best - but for some real throw we know SMO is the best.

A couple of things which would be important for me:

• Get rid of the shock isolation.
  • A tool included to help open the bezel
  • Increased contact between the reflector and bezel to help with heat transfer. The new Mega-B provides for much better heat dispersion because of the increased contact between reflector and body.
  • Possible Ultraclear lens with better transmitance.
FM - Are you listening?

JetskiMark

Enlightened

This sounds interesting.

I know I would have to buy one if the throw was noticeably increased without producing too many artifacts.

cryhavok

Enlightened

Regarding the difference reflectors can make, check out LuxLuthor's thread comparing different reflector finishes and their effect on beam distribution.

I know there are more SF turbohead fans out there...keep posting :nana:

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I'd also be interested in one or two, plus a bezel ring removal tool.

Markus

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer a Borofloat option. I'm willing to give up a few percent transmission for the greater durability of Boro vs UCL.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad your keeping your eyes on the thread FM.

I was just about to question if that bi-focal lens would be able to help in this type of product.

I'd totally be in for this.

Your 3" head is really great but it just makes the KT4 based lights a bit too big to carry around.

Has anyone posted some beamshots of the bi-focal reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.