Anticipation of New LRI Proton

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
In my mind's eye, the LRI Proton is very close to the 'Punch' which has been alluded to a number of times by Technology Associates. The dimming and control features are similar to those used in Eternalights. Right now, there's only one light on my shopping list, and it's the Proton.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well I am looking forward to this light as well. I was impressed by the proto I saw at SHOT. I fear that we may have a bit more of a wait though as I think Nichia is a bit behind on production of the Jupiter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Well I am looking forward to this light as well. I was impressed by the proto I saw at SHOT. I fear that we may have a bit more of a wait though as I think Nichia is a bit behind on production of the Jupiter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

master yoda....:COUGH: i mean Don, when are you gonna build us a single AA powered 2 stage light??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
More of a wait?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Are we talking weeks, months...many months? As long as it makes an appearance before the 15 of August, life is good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding a $70 price point, I agree that is a lot of money, but if this were a new product from Surefire, people would be overjoyed that it cost so little.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chanik said:Why would we boast 60Lm if we couldn't deliver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Reagan said to Gorby in 1987 on the signing of the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty - "Trust, but verify".

gorby.jpg

best regards

chanik

Newly Enlightened
Nichia has indeed lost the recipe for the Jupiters lately. Jc grade is unavailable so the Proton will release with 6 of the new Nichia 5mm instead and one center red or green LED for the secondary color. This is what has caused the small delay. We can shift back to a Jupiter or one of the new Luxeons when they get them tuned up. It will be Type II black anodized and although a Maglite clip will fit it, we'll have our own clip soon.

I can get people on the pre-buy list started at SHOT, but I don't want to take any money. Just drop me an email letting me know how many you'd want and what color center LED (Red or Aqua) and I'll tally it up.

Connor

Enlightened
chanik,

thanks for the info. What about the total Lumen output of the Proton with 6 of the new Nichia 5mm LEDs? I somehow doubt one of those wicked lil things can put out 10 Lumens ... :-/

-Connor

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Will the Jupiter versions be out by Christmas? My preference is the single Jupiter in a reflector for throw. Will the Jupiter version use HA-III?

Since you mentioned Luxeons, I am assuming Jc grade Jupiters are vaporware /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe you could get a bunch of U bin LuxIII's and throw them in the light. That should be around 50 to 60 lumens.

With the 7 LED Protons be available soon? Any idea of a release date?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chanik said:
Nichia has indeed lost the recipe for the Jupiters lately. Jc grade is unavailable so the Proton will release with 6 of the new Nichia 5mm instead and one center red or green LED for the secondary color. This is what has caused the small delay. We can shift back to a Jupiter or one of the new Luxeons when they get them tuned up. It will be Type II black anodized and although a Maglite clip will fit it, we'll have our own clip soon.

I can get people on the pre-buy list started at SHOT, but I don't want to take any money. Just drop me an email letting me know how many you'd want and what color center LED (Red or Aqua) and I'll tally it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I appreciate your openness, this is a major downer as far as I'm concerned. I don't care for lights that use multiple LED as their primary light source. Oh well, I may get one just to say I have one, but I'll need to think it over now.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chanik,
If you would consider allowing for an additional Nichia white as the center LED, I would be interested in getting one of these. If I am not mistaken, the UI would be much less confusing for me then as I would be navigating among variable brightness of a single white or variable brightness of 5 whites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif It would be even handier if the single white were of a wider viewing angle than the group.

No need to respond if this is "out of bounds". Believe me, I understand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

chanik

Newly Enlightened
We could do a white center 5mm but will probably leave that to a user mod. The Jupiter Jc parts were out, they just can't make anymore. I'm sure some nice 1W LED will replace the 6 in a few months, but until then, what else out there approaches 50Lm/W? The new Luxeon 50Lm/W is delayed until fall too. The throw is not that much tighter with the Jupiter/reflector either since the reflector is pretty small. So TODAY there is no better way to crank out photons than with 6 of the Nichia 5mms. We can also make the head a little shorter and remove the plastic cover with the 5mms. You want lots of light or a certain 'look' to the flashlight head?

cy

Flashaholic
chanik, what a major drag. was really looking forward to getting a 60 lumen out the front single led light driven by a single AA.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, Nichia LEDs or Luxeon, I'll still happily evaluate one when they're ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chanik

Newly Enlightened
It wasn't our first choice either. If you really want throw, a user mod for the new Luxeon with the small IMS reflector would do best. IMS does a very tight luxeon reflector. I prefer a softer focus, but it's an easy user mod since electrically the 6 LEDs in parallel look just like a Luxeon or Xlamp or Jupiter to the driver circuit. For now, we just can't justify a light that is tighter focus but still dimmer than the 6, 5mms

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm,
Well, since I wanted two of them... I guess I could get the multiple 5mm when they come out (if it is bright) and go for the Jupiter version when it comes out eventually.
I guess the race is on between Nichia Jupiter and Lumileds Luxeon for 50-60 lumens per watt. Hopefully the race will be done by the end of the year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I was certainly eagerly anticipating the new Nichia Jupiter in this light. But I think that this will still be a winner. Personally, I prefer more flood in a small light and more throw in a large light. And if this will be the equivalent of 6 Photon Freedom Max's, I'm in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any body know about the cost / pricing of this light ?

I read somewhere that it is likely to be around $60 - $70 mark.. is that right ?