Anything out ther brighter at a distance than our flashlight?

passive101

Enlightened
The concept doesn't seem to make sense to me on how it actually is increasing output.

jslappa

Enlightened
I'm surprised to see so many people questioning, almost in a disrespectful way, an electrical engineer about a product and process which has been patented. How about first asking for the link to the publicly available pantent docs? It sounds to me like the light that would have become the spill is being reflected back to the center, effectively causing the lux to increase in the hotspot. But since I don't have a formal education in Optics, I wouldn't dream of challenging someone.

With that, I would love to see BigChelis run one through it's paces, as well as some looooong beamshots.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main thing thats bothering me about DPR right now is this one picture. http://www.wavien.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=54

The black reflector trough, the beam tracing looks good until the two beams meet at the end, at which point they somehow intersect and change direction and merge forward. Unless my quantum is broken, that picture is going to bug me.

It wouldn't be hard to have an optic there, whether or not that is the case, is also whether or not that picture makes sense at all.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I understand the picture. But why not just direct all the light straight out instead of reflecting it back? Or is this just to intensify the "hot spot". I can see how it would do that, increasing the lux. But not increasing the total lumen output.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally going to have to call BS.

You are offering a product that doesn't seem to be for sale, using technology that doesn't make sense logically, and seem to have a hard time differentiating between your terminology. You also have not linked to any very informative sights... Merely product "idea" sights.

Also your approach to cooling your light seems like an easily damaged thing. Instead of trying to increase surface area, or just under-driving your light and trying to find a more efficient method of utilizing the available light, you claim to "overdrive" a high output, low efficiency LED, thus causing even more problems in your product. I realize this is probably meant as a long distance spot light/search light, but couldn't you have designed a system that would enable a nearly full output at start up, but then gradually dimmed over a period of time from full output to, say, 50% of original output, or less, depending upon how hot the heat-sink and LED are getting? The period of time could be such that the end user wouldn't notice the drop in output, it would extend run-time greatly, and mean that active cooling would not be necessary (if you were to also increase the surface area)...

I would love to see links to your patents, both for your light recycler, and your cooling system.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but is this a complete "product?" I ask, because it appears you have designed a head unit for a "D" cell maglite, from the pictures on your site...

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our main patent is the "DPR" Dual Parabolic Reflector. We put two parabolic 1/2's together and it will yield double the lifetime of arcing bulbs.

When a typical arc burns the electrode away it reduces output.

http://spie.org/x8812.xml?ArticleID=x8812

How does a reflector increase a bulbs lifespan? And what does this have to do with the current thread topic, except as another "patented" idea that makes no logical sense...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I too was baffled how this works. By the reflecting the light back on to the phosphor, reinvigorates the substrate and produces even more light. Trust me it works. We have a device that puts our "recycling collar" on a LED and doubles the output real-time.

So by directing side emitted light back at the LED die... you increase the LEDs efficiency?

But don't you loose that re-directed light? I don't see how you can create more light out of the re-directed light.

I mean no dis-respect, I am merely inquisitively questioning... how this technology works. Your design as you describe it, defies the law of conservation of energy.

Last edited:

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
I really wish I could answer all of your questions. My main purpose was to find out if there is another flash light out there. In collaboration with texas instraments and osram you should see Wavien's DPR and Recycling Collar technology in future flash lights or Projector.

If there is any flash light companies that would like to license the "recycling collar" please visit http://premienled.com/

and visit the contact us

Here

We can take an LED and double it's output in narrow beam applications.

Here is another design we are making 7 50watt LED's but not battery powered. More for a spot light application.

4506291892_857fa457ba_o.jpg

4505656853_2f914d2558_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that heating the phosphor in the LED (from the energy of the photons striking the phosphor) is amking the LED more efficient? Because that would be incorrect. LED's are more efficient at lower currents than higher ones, and do not like to be heated.

well, if you shine a laser on a led, (non burning laser) it wont get any hotter than it was before you shine a laser on it, and laser beam creates a lot more energy of the photons striking the phosphor, than the led itself.
so how it is heating up???

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, if you shine a laser on a led, (non burning laser) it wont get any hotter than it was before you shine a laser on it, and laser beam creates a lot more energy of the photons striking the phosphor, than the led itself.
so how it is heating up???

That's kind of my point, though admittedly ill explained... He stated something about increasing output by putting his light recycler thing on it, but didn't say anything about whether it increased lux or lumens...

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wish I could answer all of your questions. My main purpose was to find out if there is another flash light out there. In collaboration with texas instraments and osram you should see Wavien's DPR and Recycling Collar technology in future flash lights or Projector.

If there is any flash light companies that would like to license the "recycling collar" please visit http://premienled.com/

and visit the contact us

Here

Here is another design we are making 7 50watt LED's but not battery powered. More for a spot light application.

You guys do realize that at this point (^^^) that going to HID is much more efficient and feasible... LED's excel in relatively low power applications where high efficiency is needed (and attainable). High power LED's have huge challenges facing them, and will continue to be poor choices compared to HID/Incandescent in extremely high output situations such as this, at least until efficiency hits the top end of what is possible, and maybe even then, too...

Just look at your design. No offense at all meant, but jeeze... This is an extremely complicated design that could be much more easily achieved using other technologies. Your design has 7 fans that by design can't be waterproofed, little in the way of surface area (to transfer that heat from the LED to the flowing air), and is going to be a huge power waster.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's kind of my point, though admittedly ill explained... He stated something about increasing output by putting his light recycler thing on it, but didn't say anything about whether it increased lux or lumens...
yea kinda confusing.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys do realize that at this point (^^^) that going to HID is much more efficient and feasible... LED's excel in relatively low power applications where high efficiency is needed (and attainable). High power LED's have huge challenges facing them, and will continue to be poor choices compared to HID/Incandescent in extremely high output situations such as this, at least until efficiency hits the top end of what is possible, and maybe even then, too...

Just look at your design. No offense at all meant, but jeeze... This is an extremely complicated design that could be much more easily achieved using other technologies. Your design has 7 fans that by design can't be waterproofed, little in the way of surface area (to transfer that heat from the LED to the flowing air), and is going to be a huge power waster.
you beat me to it,
350w hid would be a lot simpler, cheaper, and reliable, and it would be bight enough for 99% applications.
i too don't see why i'd choose that over hid.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

and visit the contact us

Here

So isn't this really a way to introduce and advertise what you are really "selling" here and that is you want to license out your "patented" light collar mechanism and you are looking for a way to introduce and do that.

This is a solicitation, plain and simple: "If there is any flash light companies that would like to license the "recycling collar" please visit http://premienled.com/"

The only reason it wasn't all in your first post is that you couldn't get the pictures posted. You are introducing a technology and trying to sell licenses for that technology right here in the discussion forums.

This entire thread should be moved somewhere else.

On a totally separate note Big Chelis' integration sphere will not be able to read something of this magnitude. Its limited to about 15 or 16 hundred lumens based on the small size of the sphere and the 20K max foot candle source readings of the meter being used.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
an LED's life is much longer than and HID bulb.

Not necessarily... a poor thermal design will cook an LED just as easily as any other light source. Most of the SST-50 designs I have seen are what I would consider poor thermal designs... dropping Lumen output a significant amount with thermal warming. I havent seen the SST-90 yet.

Anyone questioning the durability of a well designed HID...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbqk60di6Jg

Discussion closed.

Last edited: