Arc6 auctions: first set of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercMaca

Banned
Contents of post removed by Greta... not a bid.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulr

Flashaholic
Greta, you do understand that this wasn't started as an auction thread where people put bids, right? It was an announcement of a bunch of Ebay auctions that Peter put up. Any actual bidding has to take place on Ebay, not here. So if posts that aren't bids can't go on this thread, then you should probably just close the thread.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
They say to vote with your wallet and it is advice I have given myself from time to time. This I am willing to do but I doubt I will have the opportunity to cast a vote this time around. I put a bid in on a couple of these but my max bid is below what I feel these lights are worth and more importantly likely to fetch.

I would have preferred to be able to just buy one of these and I would have actually preferred preferential treatment in a specific offer to get one of these. :D However that is not to be the case and I can certainly live with that. I respect Peter and the company making these lights right to offer them up as they best see fit and I think they have some good reasons in doing what they have done even though it is not in keeping with expectations, desires and possibly even previous statements.

It seems this thread is headed towards a derailment which is unfortunate as I doubt it serves anyone's best interest but such is life. My interest first and foremost is in the Arc6 and given a chance to possibly get one is a chance I have elected to take. I appreciate Peter posting links in this thread to the auctions as I know I would not have had the gumption to try to monitor E-Bay for these auctions on my own.

For some, the lights have become secondary to issues related to the man and the process of making them available. I believe this is by right of individual choice and I choose not to focus beyond the the light itself.

JohnTz

Enlightened
Wow what a shame the ARC story has to end in this way. No bid from me, I don't buy anything from ebay.

I do have significant interest in the light and was at one time a big supporter of patience and understanding for Peter and all the challenges he was having. But ebay is a place of significant scandal and transient retailers who use it for various reasons to sell their goods vs. normal channels. Not the kind of place that makes me feel good about a high end light manufacturer. $275 for the light with two battery tubes seems reasonable and many would of been pleased to buy these from the Arc site and all of this could have been eliminated. I hope the risk, the bad press and the ultimate increase in the sell price will be worth it for Peter. But after the fees are paid and one accounts for the collateral damage done to the customer base, I strongly doubt it.

But like Don, I am intrigued by the light. Not neccessary for the form factor, I have Don's wonderful PD lights, but more so for the electronics package. I hope that at least a few of the people who do buy them are cpf people and we do hear about how the driver and the UI work out. I know that a viable high end driver is in great demand by a few custom light manufacturers who's lights I eagerly want and in some strange way I was hoping that this driver design if sucessful would be made available to them.

I know wishful thinking:crackup:

adnj

Enlightened
I guess that no one had time to notice this on the aution page:
"All auctions come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. You may return the light for a full refund for any reason. Lifetime warranty against manufacturer's defects."

I've have NEVER seen that on any eBay auction; but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that no one had time to notice this on the aution page:
"All auctions come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. You may return the light for a full refund for any reason. Lifetime warranty against manufacturer's defects."

I've have NEVER seen that on any eBay auction; but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Depends on the item. I've seen guarantees like that before.

I do find it disturbing that a member with 3k+ posts is summarily banned like this. This is a fine line and we're all a little miffed. How 'bout a warning shot, or let this die down a little?

I'm also concerned about the allowance of the phrase "place of business" to pass without an official word. This isn't the marketplace. It seems like, should this type of atmosphere continue, there could certainly be undertones (or overtones) of partiality to certain lights/manufacturers. Not cool! :thumbsdow

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Valpo, moderator actions are not up for discussion on CPF. Please use PM or email for that.

We know that the situation is somewhat "tense" right now, which is why there haven't been more sanctions used by staff.

Back on track now, please. Thanx for your cooperation. :)

bernie

Greta

Flashaholic
Greta, you do understand that this wasn't started as an auction thread where people put bids, right? It was an announcement of a bunch of Ebay auctions that Peter put up. Any actual bidding has to take place on Ebay, not here. So if posts that aren't bids can't go on this thread, then you should probably just close the thread.

paul... I guess you got the point of my post then, eh? Yes, I am aware that this thread is just an announcement of auctions on ebay. Which would mean that it shouldn't be here at all. If anything, it belongs at the MarketPlace in the "Other auction notices" forum.

As I posted earlier, the "fine line" has officially been crossed. There have been no hard-fast "rules" for this forum... the CPF Custom Builders and Modders forum. It seemed that there didn't need to be. Those who have their own sub-forums here seemed to have understood the concept of this forum and the creation of "rules" seemed unnecessary. I believe those days are now over.

As posted HERE:

Manufacturer: A manufacturer is commercially involved as a maker of goods produced independently of significant input and/or participation/involvement from CPF's membership, and doesn't significantly produce any goods through such significant input and/or participation/involvement. The use of an outside retail and/or wholesale business website is not necessarily a requirement or an exclusion for manufacturer status on CPF or CPFMP.

Custom Builders & Modders: For the purposes of any forums associated with CandlePowerForums, (CPF proper, the MarketPlace, the Underground), a custom builder or modder can be a manufacturer. However, the distinction would be that the manufacturer started their business here on CPF and is still with us, at least to a reasonable extent. A few examples would be McGizmo, The Sandwich Shoppe, Arc, Peak, Lumencraft, Barbolight, and a few others. A few examples of Custom Modders would be cmacclel, milkyspit, and several others. (Please do not assume that if you are not specifically named here, you do not qualify. I just don't have time to list everyone).

As most of you can see, the line is indeed very fine. But I do think that at this point, it isn't difficult to see that it has been crossed. Peter is no longer the manufacturer of the Arc flashlight. He is a manufacturer's rep. That in itself does not DISqualify the Arc sub-forum from being allowed to be here. "Significant input and/or particaption/involvement from CPF's membership" is where things get murky. From my own observations and speaking for no one but myself, I'd have to say that there has been little to none of that in the case of the Arc6. However, the CPF membership sure has supported Peter and this product and has been very anxiously awaiting it's availability to them.

Perhaps the "line" is where the long anticipated product is being sold and the manner in which it is being sold. The very consumers who have been the biggest supporters (and to which a good portion of the credit for it's perceived value and popularity belongs) are having to compete to own this product not by it's availability but by the size of their wallet. Many of them feel betrayed. And who can blame them? Sure, these auctions are a marketing technique and very well could turn out to be a good one for the manufacturer. But it also smacks of the term "biting the hand that feeds you". (my opinion, of course).

Will there be more Arc6's after these 100 (give or take) are auctioned off on ebay? Who knows? Is this a way for the manufacturer to get the most out of what has already been produced, cut their losses on the project and move on to another? Who knows? We've seen before on CPF where a "limited edition" of a flashlight with a "limited # created" turned out not to be the case at all. We all suffered from that. Is this another case of that? Who knows? One could speculate all day and probably not even come close to the truth.

The point is though that the idea for the very existance of this forum and it's sub-forums came from none other than Peter himself. The Arc flashlight was born here on CPF. Peter Gransee became a household name in the flashlight industry because of CPF. The members of CPF felt that Peter and the Arc flashlight deserved to be spotlighted on CPF. The members of CPF WANTED to support Peter and the Arc flashlight. "The little guys"... remember when we referred to Arc as that? With Surefire and Maglite and Streamlight being "the big guys"? We were damn proud of our "little guys" and still are. And we support them wholeheartedly with our enthusiasm, input, participation, involvement, spotlighting and.... our wallets.

The question now is, what is or should be allowed in these "little guys" forums? I guess that for me it is the marketing. These forums should be for the purpose of developing and selling a product. As I posted earlier, selling the products in this forum has been fine. Occasional auctions of one or two CUSTOM items has been fine. Where I believe the line has been crossed is that these lights are not for sale here on CPF. They are not even for auction here on CPF. This flashlight is NOT available for purchase to the very people who supported it's very existance and supported Peter. And while I don't have a problem with a company doing business in a manner which they feel is best for them, I feel that this type of business practice does not belong in a forum here on CPF that was created to represent and support "the little guys". This type of marketing more closely resembles "the big guys".

I and many other CPF members have worked very hard to maintain the integrity and original concept of CPF... that of the discussion of lights and their technology, as well as shining a spotlight on those "little guys" who give freely of themselves and their talents to the community. And so with that, I feel that if Peter would like to continue with this type of marketing, it is only fair that he take it to the MarketPlace. Either to the Manufacturer's Corner or the Other auction notices forum. I really don't care which. I'm glad that Peter and the Arc flashlight have made it to "the big guys" and I wish them the best of luck and prosperity in the future. As with all other graduations, this one too should be celebrated... :twothumbs

As for closing this thread? Soon. Remember that it isn't WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

LouRoy

Enlightened
I am very saddened by this turn of events. I own many Arc lights, but I will be making no bids on Ebay for these latest lights. It puts a very bad taste in my mouth how this has been handled and I now feel I may never own another Arc flashlight.

Fortunately, I have many other wonderful options. :)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot believe you people,

The Arc is now available and all i hear is negative comments.
Sure i could have wished for a diffrent aproach.But this is what we got.
For those not wanting to jump in right now i think there will be plenty lights when this batch is done and all the wrinkles has been ironed out.
And not to mention when the Reviews are done,so everyone can make theire decition after it has been published.

For those waiting,look at it this way.
If this turns out to be a grape,you can decide whether to buy one based on the reviews to come.

Yes i have made a bid and i cannot wait to try one of these.

Benny

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the Arc has lost its soul, what made it an Arc. The light looks like a McGizmo creation and not an Arc, not that their is anything wrong with the quality and look of a Gizmo light, it's just not an Arc anymore. :(

Good luck with your sales.

lightbulb

Newly Enlightened
Weird stuff, thousands of people dying in the world, people losing their houses, and yet people are crying if they can't get access to a flashlight. I think you'll live if you don't get one.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The frustration of the naysayers - among whom I include myself - may be that while this light has "Arc" stamped on it, it is based on someone else's design, is manufactured by someone else's company, and now is sold on some else's website. And the icing on the cake is that Peter stated elsewhere that he is likely headed out the door for good.

Sticking this first run on ebay was the nail in the coffin, and while it will generate more revenue on these first 100 or so lights, it has so frustrated many of us that subsequent sales will suffer. At least in my case it will suffer. JMO. Seriously - how many folks outside of CPF are going to pay $300 for a dang 1xCR123 light?

And no, lightbulb, its not life and death. But no one here is crying about it. We're just saying that the bubble has burst and we are moving on.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bulb....This is my HOBBY. It's also my escape from the Reality of our world today. Check yourself:D

Weird stuff, thousands of people dying in the world, people losing their houses, and yet people are crying if they can't get access to a flashlight. I think you'll live if you don't get one.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
On the surface, the Arc6 may appear to be just another "Gizmo" light but this is not where Peter has been focused and this is not where Peter is hoping to make his "contribution" to the "art". These lights use a K2 LED which is not available in additional quantities to Peter now and there is no telling if or when more of these LED's would be available. The potential and specs of the LED will effect the ultimate performance and specs of the light. Because of this, I see reason for these lights to be treated differently than production units moving forward and especially in consideration that production lights will quite possibly have different LED's in them.

There are beta testers presently taking the Arc6 through its paces but this is not about the LED or the package design as much as it is about the performance and aspects of the converter and its behavior in the field.

Many feel they have been betrayed in the process and perhaps they have. I don't know what agreements or promises have been expressed or assumed in this long road behind us.

All I do know is that I have freedom of choice as a buyer and I certainly feel Peter is entitled to freedom of choice as a seller. If agreement can't be reached between buyer and seller then so be it.

JohnTz

Enlightened
There are beta testers presently taking the Arc6 through its paces but this is not about the LED or the package design as much as it is about the performance and aspects of the converter and its behavior in the field.

Hi Don,

I had this wild hope that this converter would be killer and that you would have access to them since Peter used your PD design. Then we would get a bunch of cool new McGizmo Ti lights using this killer converter. Alas it seems it really was just a dream and nothing more. :(

I need to stop thinking that the world is a nice place. :ohgeez:

Status
Not open for further replies.