Best AA for Travel

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm sure some would consider this an odd choice since it's a rather basic single-AA light compared to many of the ones already mentioned. But I really like my S.S. Maratac AA model as an excellent all-around AA light for both travel and EDC.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been pretty busy...

kIJ7Wfu.jpg

Woolnemis

Banned
I use [FONT=&quot]DEWALT DCL044 20V Max LED Hand Held Work Light in my trips, I like it because it's bright and has powerful magnet.[/FONT][h=1][/h]

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
The Rofis is intriguing. Good to see them gaining traction in the forums. I have 2 perceived issues with them:
1. While the combination headlamp approach is ingenious I'm not likely to need one or the other where I'm not already carrying both. Others probably benefit more.
2. Their website has lots of obvious spelling and grammatical errors. I realize this probably a Chinese company. Still, in this situation I always wonder if that's the only area a company is lacking attention to detail.

I've been using a Thrunite Archer 1A. Low moonlight and other levels. Tail stands reasonably well. This is the light I let my kids huck around. It's held up. Not the cheapest but doesn't seem cheaply built. Plus, their CS has been great for me. A good value for what it is.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about a diffuser but it has a very nice low mode. The Malkoff AA.if budget allows. Not much better out there.
jNhfgMbl.jpg

Nice light, may be a bit big for my purpose (compact travel light) but looks like it is ideal for general use. I have an old M61 that I haven't used in a while, I should check out the MDC. Thanks

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I feel you. My Titanium Quark AA was my trusted companion on many, many trips for a lot of years.

Eventually, it got replaced by a ZL SC52w, and I have never looked back.

I really think that if you give the Zebras a try, you will find that they are the best successor to the Quark.

The user interface is no more complex than you want it to be.
All your kids ever need to know is this: hold the button down and it will cycle through low, medium, high, until you stop on the one you want.
Then a click to turn it off. That's it.

Sure, if you want to fine-tune your preferred levels for LMH then you can do that. But you don't have to, and your family don't need to know about that part.

About diffusers -- I am not sure what accessory you are using with the Quark (I don't recall them making an in-house diffusing attachment?) but you can probably find options like it for the ZL. Me, I carry a couple of little discs of diffusing film stuck onto the battery, in the battery compartment, in case I ever want to put them on the lens for a diffused effect.

And then some people just prefer the ZLs with the frosted lenses already. (I don't -- I prefer to have the *option* of throw, and the *option* of diffuser film.)

I have never had a problem with a ZL switch, and there is no parasitic drain that I have ever noticed. And I keep a ZL headlamp constantly on next to my bed, which gives me a night-light for a month on a single Eneloop charge.

After a few years with an SC52w, I switched to the H52w as my never-without-it EDC, because I find the headlamp format slightly more useful (and slightly smaller as well). But if you are used to the Quark, then start with the SC52.

Just like the Quark, a ZL will run on an AAA without needing any adapter or any fuss, which is also ideal for travel. And the ZL circuit is even more efficient than the old Quarks were, as far as both putting out a lot of power on high, and also lasting a long time on low.

As a huge Quark fan, for whom the Titanium Quark was the height of flashlight perfection, I have to say that I have found the ZL's even better.

Good prompt to look at Zebra again. Their lights seem to be really well designed and practical. I'm going to look further at the SC5 series...

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always travel with my Zebralight SC5c MKII. It has a great moonlight and produces a lot of light for it's size too. For travel I've never needed to replace the battery but it's just used for basic needs and runs all night on the nightstand without issue (battery-wise.)

How is the tint? Ive heard some complain about the Zebra high CRI tints, which is strange because they ostensibly should be great tints given the CRI rating.... Thanks.

Nichia!

Banned
Zebralight Sc5, Egaletac d25a Titanium, Maratac AA (copper and Titanium)

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I get closer to picking my next travel light (who am I kidding -- I mean lights!) most of the contenders are out of stock right now!

1) Zebralight SC5c, SC5w, SC53c, SC53w
2) EagTac D25A Mk II (in Nichia or neutral) - D3A titanium appears to be available (albeit in limited supply) so maybe I go with that. I like the old D25 titanium styling better but I dont think anyone still carries)
3) MDC HA 1AA

Is there some kind of shortage going on that I haven't heard about???

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
gpknives says they have the ZLs in stock and the website is usually accurate too.

As I get closer to picking my next travel light (who am I kidding -- I mean lights!) most of the contenders are out of stock right now!

2) EagTac D25A Mk II (in Nichia or neutral) - D3A titanium appears to be available (albeit in limited supply) so maybe I go with that. I like the old D25 titanium styling better but I dont think anyone still carries)
3) MDC HA 1AA

Berneck1

Enlightened

3) MDC HA 1AA

The titanium versions are all limited, so they tend to go fast. I love my D3A. The rear clicky is pretty solid, so it never gets accidentally activated...something that has driven me crazy with other lights, and not what you want when away from home...

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The titanium versions are all limited, so they tend to go fast. I love my D3A. The rear clicky is pretty solid, so it never gets accidentally activated...something that has driven me crazy with other lights, and not what you want when away from home...

Shrouded tail too so it tailstands, plus that lumed tailcap is amazingly bright.
Leave it on a table and when lights go it it will be very visible. The lume is powerful enough that when you charge it with a UV light, you can navigate with the glow in a pitchblack house for half a minute or so. Not practical, but it is that bright.

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight also gets my vote as "best" AA travel light. (In the 18650 category as well.) Just so many pros when compared to other lights as to form/fit/function. They simply get everything right. Yes, they cost a bit more, but there's a reason they are recommended so often here. Other brands get recommended simply because of lack of having never owned/used a Zebralight. I own many other brands as well, but always circle back to a Zebralight as my "goto" light if I am traveling.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shrouded tail too so it tailstands, plus that lumed tailcap is amazingly bright.
Leave it on a table and when lights go it it will be very visible. The lume is powerful enough that when you charge it with a UV light, you can navigate with the glow in a pitchblack house for half a minute or so. Not practical, but it is that bright.

Thanks guys. Ordered the D3A with Nichia 219c from Illumination Gear. This will be my new travel companion, replacing my Quark. Time moves on, I guess.

----------

The CPF motto "buy both" has hit... so today I bought my second light. I think these are the only two lights I bought in over a year...

Zebralight also gets my vote as "best" AA travel light. (In the 18650 category as well.) Just so many pros when compared to other lights as to form/fit/function. They simply get everything right. Yes, they cost a bit more, but there's a reason they are recommended so often here. Other brands get recommended simply because of lack of having never owned/used a Zebralight. I own many other brands as well, but always circle back to a Zebralight as my "goto" light if I am traveling.

gpknives says they have the ZLs in stock and the website is usually accurate too.

Thanks for the heads up on GPK! Ordered from them; I don't want to have to wait for Zebralight to restock. Am looking forward to seeing what this Zebralight thing is all about...

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Ordered the D3A with Nichia 219c from Illumination Gear. This will be my new travel companion, replacing my Quark. Time moves on, I guess.

----------

The CPF motto "buy both" has hit... so today I bought my second light. I think these are the only two lights I bought in over a year...

Thanks for the heads up on GPK! Ordered from them; I don't want to have to wait for Zebralight to restock. Am looking forward to seeing what this Zebralight thing is all about...
I have a feeling you will like the ZL once you understand the difference!

Yeah GPK is now the local shop that I try to avoid sadly as my Wallet grows thinner with every visit!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been staying strong since the sc53 models have been backordered. That was until I read your post about GPK selling them. Sc53w has been ordered.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been staying strong since the sc53 models have been backordered. That was until I read your post about GPK selling them. Sc53w has been ordered.

Me too but I have to drive right by the GPK exit Today too.

I do not have a 53 yet either.

Serenity Now.