Best AA for Travel

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've used a stainless steel Peak Logan 17500 for quite some time in this role, for most of the reasons specified in the OP

Interestingly, I have just put the SC53w to the travel test, competing against the Logan ....

pD9uta9.jpg

Worked great.

Me too but I have to drive right by the GPK exit Today too.

I do not have a 53 yet either.

Serenity Now.

GPK is always very nice to deal with ... :whistle:

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I travel I take my AA TH20 headlamp and another selection (AAA or AA cell).

A headlamp is always an asset for me as it allows me to do everything hands free, which to me is the most important part of doing anything at night.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interestingly, I have just put the SC53w to the travel test, competing against the Logan ....

Tell us more! What did you think about each one of them? What did you ask them to do?

I was half-joking, but I did take both with me to the beach :eek:

More to your point though, I really like each of them, but they are about as different as two little AA torches can be.

The Logan has travelled with me all over the world, enough so that I have great confidence in its durability. I like simple stuff that seems unlikely to break.

The flexibility in fuel source is a big bonus, too.

The SC53w is my first ZL and I am impressed. I appreciate the programmability, but more complexity introduces more potential failure points, I think.

During travel, backup gear is limited, so I put a high premium on reliability. I will need more time and experience with ZL, but it is off to a good start ;)

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Archimedes,
Is the Logan a QTC or single mode?
If QTC, is it a bit more stable that the Eiger. Have several Eigers and have now started going with single mode. They are much better than the older models but still a bit finicky (but still my favorite lights).
Looking now at the Logan 17500 for the versatility while traveling.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes,
Is the Logan a QTC or single mode?
If QTC, is it a bit more stable that the Eiger. Have several Eigers and have now started going with single mode. They are much better than the older models but still a bit finicky (but still my favorite lights).
Looking now at the Logan 17500 for the versatility while traveling.

The Logan pictured above has QTC, I have others which are single mode (and yet another with red output)

In general, Logan QTC are smoother than Eiger QTC, but this particular one is not. It is a very early version ( perhaps a gen1 pill? ) and has been used heavily.

Vemice

Enlightened
Thanks. Likely go with QTC as I do use lower outputs quite often.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
For travel and hotel stays I like something with a super low mode that I can leave on and find easily in the middle of the night. Ti3 is the cheap route and a Zebra AA is the mighty route.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
....More to your point though, I really like each of them, but they are about as different as two little AA torches can be....

Thanks, Archimedes!

I have no complaints about ZL durability, though of course I have not used mine as a club, crow-bar or projectile. In my experience, they have held up to ordinary drops and fumbles very well, but of course it's not a solid-state cockroach like an E01.

I like the look of the Logan a lot, esp. the multi-fuel option. But for some reason, I dislike the beams produced by optics. I like mules, and I like reflectors, but there's something about the fuzziness of beams with optics that I find less than satisfactory.

I had a really nice light from Vinh with a triple-optic -- excellent light in five different ways. But the beam just did not please me, so I seldom used it.

Are any of the Logans provided with a reflector, or do they all use optics?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak has, at times, had versions as mules, with reflectors, and (of course) optics.

I think it has been quite some time since a reflectored Peak has been available.

To be fair, the use of optics in place of reflector + lens probably makes the lights more robust.

Drop a light down onto a sharp point; the optic may get scratched, but the light will work fine, and not lose its waterproofing.

If it has a glass lens on the front, then it will at a minimum lose its water-proofing if the glass breaks, and it may stop working altogether if the LED is impacted.

Grrrr...but that's also a reason that I do *not* like optics: they are made of plastic and always cause more transmission-loss than good quality glass.

Sigh....It's a hard life, with difficult choices in it.

(I joke -- the surplus of excellent options nowadays is nothing like a hardship. It's a luxury our ancestors could not have dreamed of.)

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the beams from reflectors; I like the toughness and replaceability (is that a word) of optics.

Mules are ok but fairly specialized and limited, in my view.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the Rofis showed up this morning and I have been running it through the rest of the day and I have to say this is a really compelling little light!

Only time will tell if it rugged and reliable enough for me but so far the whole convertible head thing is just amazing.
How could this not be more popular?

d160c5aa41ea21ad5eaaec3f3b99dccb.jpg

So here it is being sized for a Diffuser in my sizing bar.

I drill that size hole in a clear 35mm film canister and they are transformed into a Lamp!
Now I just have to remember where I hide the stash of canisters?

Hold the phone. I wasn't aware Fenix had a new angle light? How do you like it? I'll have to read up on it.

And yeah, a light like that swivel head Rofis seems really appealing. Would love to see how well it works in practice, but if it's a durable design that could be so useful and compelling. Especially for someone who isn't into lights and just wants one to do it all.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold the phone. I wasn't aware Fenix had a new angle light? How do you like it? I'll have to read up on it.

And yeah, a light like that swivel head Rofis seems really appealing. Would love to see how well it works in practice, but if it's a durable design that could be so useful and compelling. Especially for someone who isn't into lights and just wants one to do it all.

Fenix LD15R

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Fenix is pretty nice for a 123 light and just what you expect from Fenix all the way.
Beautiful construction,no real low,almost Neutral emitter,insane frustrating interface,terrible clip and really way too bright red led!
I can not figure out a good way to carry it and can not use it as a Head Lamp either?

That said I actually do like it sometimes in my watch pocket where the clip can not saw my junk off too badly.:eek:

I am not selling off any ZLs for it for sure.

eff

Enlightened
I would say the Zebralight sc5 or sc5c.
Many modes from 0.08 to 400+ lumen (with nimh cell).
Running on a single AA