Do you always carry a flashlight or only at night?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one light in my pants pocket all the time and have two hung from lanyards on my walker all the time it could be dark.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I carry a light with me all the time. Even though it's dark no more than 2 hours a night during the summer I carry my TN12. I often find use for it even indoors. In my bag I also carry Olight M22, Armytek Wizard and a spare cell, but TN12 is the one that gets carried in my pocket.

I don't like these bright summer nights in our beloved country but I too keep a light or two on me even on the brightest days 😊

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I always carry at least an 1XAAA light, usually an ld02.
Today it happens to be an E05.
If I'm going out and it's dark or I'm going to do something and I know that I will need a light then I also bring a brighter light like a 18650, cr123 or AA light.

I also have a few lights stuffed away in bags and car.

With jeans, I just find it annoying - even a small SC52 pokes me in the hip when sitting or bending to put on shoes or whatever. They're not even tight jeans, but not crazy loose either.

I agree with you about the sc52 size.
It's great in my jacket pocket but feels huge in my jeans pocket.
Try a small 1XAAA if you haven't done it yet.

MMD

Enlightened
I always carry at least one. Like others have said you never know when your plans will change or when the unexpected will happen. Once you get used to carrying some crap you don't even notice it. The exception would be if I was at the beach, swimming or doing something active that carrying anything would inhibit movement/enjoyment. In the case of not carrying one I would have one close by.

Tacti'cool'

Newly Enlightened
I always have three. A primary (surefire, mcgizmo, etc), a AAA light on the keychain (sapphire), and one around my neck (ottavino). I commonly work underground and when the lights go off there is zero ambient light. No flashlight = very screwed.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always EDC a flashlight. Most of the time, I EDC two lights - my SC52w and a Fenix E05ss on my keychain. If I think I might need more light, I will take my SC62w instead. And if I forget the SC52w, I at least still have the E05ss. Somwhy do I carry a light, even in summer? For one, I don't just call it a day when the sun goes down. But also, as others have said, you never know what might happen. As an example, some years back, my brother went on a hike several years back up Freel Peak near Tahoe. He actually glt pretty close to the top (and it's NOT an insignificant hike). But he couldn't summit. He had to turn back early because it was going to be dark soon. He didn't have a flashlight. The LAST thing I want to do is abort a hike due to lack of lighting. And if I EDC a light (or two), I will ALWAYS be able to finish a hike after the sun goes down.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The darkest places I've ever been are big indoor/underground construction sites when the temporary power gets cut. I always carry a light. It may only be a Photon Freedom, but when it's really dark any light is better than no light. I make an exception for swimming, but I don't do cave diving so it's very unlikely that I'll need a light.

Berneck1

Enlightened
These days there are so many options in a light that there is really no reason for anyone not to have a light on them at all times. I have an Eagletac D25a on me at ALL times. It comes in handy more times than I can count. I usually have an additional light on me as well, like a Thrunite Ti3 or Eagletac T25C2. It all depends on what I'm wearing to accommodate an additional light.

Some people consider a mobile phone LED their primary EDC. I personally would not, because if an emergency situation arises the last thing you want to be doing is draining your phone battery. That said, I don't think there is any shame in using your phone LED if you need a quick bit of light.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

FrankFlash

Newly Enlightened
I think the last few years I did not leave home once without at least one edc light on me. It's just so useful! And a lot of friends and colleagues lough at me because of this but so often they come to me to borrow one of my edc torches;-)

Berneck1

Enlightened
I think the last few years I did not leave home once without at least one edc light on me. It's just so useful! And a lot of friends and colleagues lough at me because of this but so often they come to me to borrow one of my edc torches;-)

Yup, I get that all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people consider a mobile phone LED their primary EDC. I personally would not, because if an emergency situation arises the last thing you want to be doing is draining your phone battery. That said, I don't think there is any shame in using your phone LED if you need a quick bit of light.

One of the big problems with a flashlight app is that the light is VERY inefficient. My iPhone 5, for instance, can put out maybe around 35-40 lumens, but can only do so for around an hour (or so). This is pretty deplorable, especially when you consider that an SC52w can put out 50 lumens for around 7.5 hours with a lower capacity battery. Granted, the phone has to run alot more than just a light when you use this app. But it's not like you can just shut all this other stuff off if you only want to use the light.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live above the arctic circle, and very soon the sun will hang up in the sky 24h a day. I still wear my edc, but swap it for a brighter one. In winter, it's always dark. no sun... Then im ok with my dim tain p0. But when the summer comes, i need something brighter. Usually my maratac cu with a 10440. The reason is simple. If i try to check something under my car, a dim light wont help in daylight.

Berneck1

Enlightened
One of the big problems with a flashlight app is that the light is VERY inefficient. My iPhone 5, for instance, can put out maybe around 35-40 lumens, but can only do so for around an hour (or so). This is pretty deplorable, especially when you consider that an SC52w can put out 50 lumens for around 7.5 hours with a lower capacity battery. Granted, the phone has to run alot more than just a light when you use this app. But it's not like you can just shut all this other stuff off if you only want to use the light.

Agreed. It's not designed for that. It's just a small accessory as it relates to the phone. That's why I think it's fine for a quick look under your desk at work or something, but really shouldn't be used with any regularity. That's why everybody should carry a primary light source...

Berneck1

Enlightened
I live above the arctic circle, and very soon the sun will hang up in the sky 24h a day. I still wear my edc, but swap it for a brighter one. In winter, it's always dark. no sun... Then im ok with my dim tain p0. But when the summer comes, i need something brighter. Usually my maratac cu with a 10440. The reason is simple. If i try to check something under my car, a dim light wont help in daylight.

Funny, I have a totally different situation living in NYC, but also get a brighter light for similar situation. Because the city is brighter at night than any rural area, shadowy areas automatically become more difficult to see into. I need a much brighter light to cut through the noise of the other lights to clearly see.

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
I always have a folding knife and a flashlight clipped inside my pants pocket, 24/7. I work at night and use both frequently in that context, but they have also both come in handy at many other times, as well.

Qooo

Newly Enlightened
Usually just a penlight but if I'm going for a walk I usually carry one. Does it count as "carrying" if there are multiple lights I keep at places I frequent? (Several in each room, several in the car, at work. Stuffed in a few locations outside.)

Rider57

Newly Enlightened
I do remodeling type construction and as of late ive started edc'ing, before that i used the flashlight app. Bright enough but not practical. Now i carry an sk68 on a 14500, very bright very useful i use it atleast twice daily. I can definitely seewhy an edc light would benifit people in such profesions that require extra lighting. As for office workers i dont understand why they edc one. To me its a tool i must use daily, most storys ive heard they carry one in case the lights go out. And to me a once in every 2 years scenario doesnt constitute an every day carry light, for 2 mins of use in an emergency a cell phone or match will do fine

Ever since i started carrying i have noticed i use my light insituations where it isnt really needed but its def better to have. Where in the past id just squint and that would get the job done fine so i def see where the whole "now that i carry one icant see me going with out it" mentality comesfrom but still dont understand why some people carry one let alone 2-3