Status
Not open for further replies.

x923x

Newly Enlightened
WOW! SEXY!!!! soooooooo worth the wait! EXCELLENT JOB!!!! :twothumbs

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok lots of PHOTOS as promised....

The finish on the parts is simply amazing. Our drawings called out for a 16 finish, they gave us a 4!!! (the smaller the better). The v2 f.e. was a 63.
vv3-2.JPG
vv3-3.JPG

OK first photos of the Tuxedo version
vv3-8.JPG
vv3-6.JPG

vv3-10.JPG
vv3-11.JPG

The clean room like facility where the assembly happens
vv3-13.JPG
vv3-1.JPG

The screw machines that did most of the parts.
vv3-7.JPG
vv3-14.JPG

vv3-15.JPG
vv3-12.JPG

And as always... the real thing is so much better than photos... but you'll see....

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, both of them are beauties! Now I am getting really excited, hopefully it won´t take too long for my tux to arrive over here in germany and hopefully the customs don´t hold it up.

Judging from those pictures I woulnd´t be able to make my mind for a Ti or Tux.

Eric

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
It would've been crazy (financially speaking), but now I'm thinking I should have both both kinds. :grin2:
Excellent work!

Argent60

amphipolis

Newly Enlightened
An assembly facility like that seems very fitting for a light this cool. It doesn't look like a factory, it looks like a temple of science.

Thanks for the pictures, Walter. You have produced an amazing light.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking forward to the arrival of my Ti. It will be joining my Al v2 and my SS/TiN v2.
gatlights.jpg

I have to admit that the tuxedo version looks nice too… must resist…

M.TEX

Enlightened
Wow it's amazing ! they look VERY NICE ! :drool:

So that's a job well done ! let's just wait another week and I should have my V3...

Good Job Walter and Kyle sign me up for another
Project ! Any light from you guys is a MUST HAVE !

Count me in any day , any time :twothumbs

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, I like the look of the knob, it's nice and beefy.

Does the clean room do anything to protect the parts? They all seem to be exposed, anyway.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you guys like it....

Update
Ok so here is the status... first it takes longer to assemble these beauties than we anticipated. To assemble the 40 parts you can see here (the driver counting as one - even though it consists of over 40 parts itself - but we did assemble those already)

vv3-5.JPG

The machine shop was supposed to provide 2-4 people for assembly today which didn't quite happen. However after 2 days of assembly it looks like we can ship about 50-60% of the Titanium units to the warehouse this Monday... meaning it will likely get shipped out to you guys this coming week. Than we hope to wrap up assembly of the remaining TI units by the end of this coming week.

The Tuxedo units will go last. The reason for this is we test every unit for excellent conductivity and we noticed that some Tuxedo units are not perfect in that regard. Annodize is non conductive. As some might know, we have a primary electric path go from the back of the knob to the black-annodized housing in the back (so the knob thread is masked) than through the bars (so holes are masked as well) to the black annodized center section (another masking step for the holes). Masking these holes is a very delicate step - and isn't always perfect.

So we decided to add 2 extra steps on the Tux units (one being a milling operation) to achieve what we are looking for in regards to conductivity which is why those will ship last. I don't know whether we'll do anymore of those Tuxedos in the future. Making it all work, conductivity etc. takes a lot of time, masking, testing etc.

Anyway that's the schedule for now. Maybe we can speed up assembly, depending on how many people the company provides us with this coming week.

So to sum it up half of you guys should have your GatLights very soon. The Tux will go out last but since we likely won't be doing more of those they will be pretty unique.

Questions
Who gets -001-? Well our tradition has been that I'll get 001 and Kyle 002. However if we ever open up a Lumencraft Museum - the 001's would go in there :grin2:

Clean room purpose? The room we do the assembly in which is in the photo will be a clean room in the future. Now it's not yet it's just built out.
For now we're just doing the assembly in that room.

The entire process is very different from the garage&kitchen operation of the last rounds. Every part goes through QC and is carefully tracked. So the entire process is very professional - not even mentioning the know how we have access to at this company. The result of all this can really be seen.

Anyway, still lots of work to do - f.e. almost 6,000 screws to screw - :mecry: We were wondering today who ever came up with that idea to put 24 screws into such a small flashlight :thinking:

vv3-12.JPG

PS Andy that SS-TIn coated GatV2 looks awesome... I wonder if its possible to get that coating onto steel - and coat some screws.. that would look awesome... if you ever plan to do some screws let me know I'd want a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts