Help me replace my surefire e2 with something better?

1wrx7

Enlightened
Re: surefire E2E is outdated...help me find something else?

The E2E is an incandecent light but, you mentioned a LED head. Which one? The E-series has a lot of options. I prefer reflectors too. If you have a KL1 head there are pleanty of options. If it's a different head that will change things slightly. A good modder can work around any of that though.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a tactical light for self defense, then the OpticsHQ 2-stage head IMO is not the way to go. Get the single-mode E2 upgrade head.

This is how the 2-stage head's user interface was described to me about a year or so ago:

The 2-stage head uses a serial mode switching user interface which IMO is unsuitable for tactical use. IIRC, the default is High mode. If you cycle your momentary-on switch within 2 minutes, the next press will give you Low mode. Then High again, etc. There is no way to get High mode every time if you rapidly cycle the light. Or even not so rapidly, since the mode memory time is 2 minutes.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a tactical light for self defense, then the OpticsHQ 2-stage head IMO is not the way to go. Get the single-mode E2 upgrade head.

Quoted For Freaking Truth.

-Trevor

Edit: Mostly because I strongly advocate keeping stuff as simple as possible in "tactical" - i.e. dangerous, situations.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened

The E2E is an incandecent light but, you mentioned a LED head. Which one?

Its a KL1 Ive never liked the beam, no spill. and the lumens folks are cranking out for the runtime these days just blows it away. Plus i have to say it really heats me up to have paid upwards of $100 for a light and having the 3RD clicky tailcap acting up. when Ive had half of that price chinese made clickies work twice as many cycles and function flawlessly.

The 2-stage head uses a serial mode switching user interface which IMO is unsuitable for tactical use. IIRC, the default is High mode. If you cycle your momentary-on switch within 2 minutes, the next press will give you Low mode. Then High again, etc. There is no way to get High mode every time if you rapidly cycle the light. Or even not so rapidly, since the mode memory time is 2 minutes.

Thats retarded LOL that wont do at all.

Quoted For Freaking Truth.

-Trevor

Edit: Mostly because I strongly advocate keeping stuff as simple as possible in "tactical" - i.e. dangerous, situations.

I almost completely agree. This is one of the reasons the Quark 123x2 tactical (I hate that word) is looking like a good option. Two programable levels and direct access to them without any functions popping up. Unless my light can come on in one mode without switching if I dont hold my tounge right it wont do. But the quark has lots of levels to chose from which is nice, but mostly I suspect it would be set to maximum and low for me.

Its turning out to be quite the chore really as there is so much out there. I decided against the fenix tactical lights on account of them being a little two big and the UI doesnt really fit in with my style. (Having said that I still love my fenix L series lights for task lights! superb!)

Lights im looking at are the Quark tactical of course...the Nitecore extreme and the D20, though i think that one might prove a little long for the job....I need to go have a look at jetbeam products yes?

1wrx7

Enlightened

I can't speak on any of the non SF models you mentioned. I've never been a fan of the stock KL1 though. I've modded everyone I've had with a McR20S reflector and a SSC P4 LED. That won't get you two stages though. I've used a two stage tailcap to achive this, but a upgraded driver could do the same thing. The KL1 is a great host for mods, if you're willing to do this. A KL1 with a Hi-CRI Seoul P4 and a McR20S reflector has been a part of my EDC for awhile now. There are a few different options for you out there.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened

I just discovered that the nitecore extreme head will fit my surefire E series body. if i can jsut find runtime or output info we may have a winner! like two lights in one.

Dan FO

Enlightened

I just discovered that the nitecore extreme head will fit my surefire E series body. if i can jsut find runtime or output info we may have a winner! like two lights in one.

The Nitecore Extreme head is a great one and mine is mounted on a Ti McClikey body ..... I love that light! Tightened head = high and loosened head = anything you set it to. But remember that you can only use it with a single CR123 or RCR123 cell. The new R2 is about 220 lumens.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-extreme-r21.html

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check selfbuilt's review of the extreme in the flashlight reviews section,lots of info. I think the extreme will meet your needs it is a nice light.My reservation is that I prefer single stage for tactical/self defense use.There is always a chance the light won't be in the mode you need with any multiple mode light even if it is only two levels.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are handy and patient, you can get a KL4 from the Marketplace for perhaps $80, a bare MC-E from DX or KD for another $20, and mod the head. Using the stock boost driver, you probably can get around 300 lumens. Drive the light with either 1x17670 or 2x123A.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened

If you are handy and patient, you can get a KL4 from the Marketplace for perhaps $80, a bare MC-E from DX or KD for another $20, and mod the head. Using the stock boost driver, you probably can get around 300 lumens. Drive the light with either 1x17670 or 2x123A.

Im not handy with these things at all unfortunately. Afraid Im stuck searching the market. But thank you for the sugestion!!

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another option is a Malkoff VME head plus the Malkoff Mxx drop-in of your choice. I would probably tend toward an M60 variant myself. If you want to put a glass window on the VME head, you can get a mineral glass Mini Maglite lens from Lighthound.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
I think Im gonna go with the Quark 123^2 tactical as it seems to best suit my needs, pending a little further investigation or any more opinions or suggestions here. Wanna thank those here for the advice and direction you offered :wave: Seems like if you get out of the flashlight game for more then a few months at a time you come back to a whole different world of stuff. And that can be a bit confusing :thinking:

Thanks all!

OH! I could still use some advice on rechargeable 123's to run in it! No way Im buying regular cr123's to expensive. Its why i stopped liking my lights that use them.

Last edited:

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
I'd go with the AW brand - they are the standard for CPFers. Do a search for AW sales thread on the marketplace or you can purchase them from 4sevens or lighthound.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes to AW batteries by Andrew Wan in Hong Kong. Very reliable batteries coupled with good service too. I run AW batteries in my Quark too and they run flawlessly.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Most would suggest AW's RCR123s. 4sevens has them for sale and you can also find them in the Marketplace.

"CPF8" coupon for 8% off from 4sevens ;)

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened

Most would suggest AW's RCR123s. 4sevens has them for sale and you can also find them in the Marketplace.

"CPF8" coupon for 8% off from 4sevens ;)

I did take advantage of that coupon Gunner thanks! How cool is that huh!

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys Ill get the AW's Im looking at compatible bodies for it now. Id forgotten how much fun lights were. Have to hide my wallet from myself.....