Introducing the MagnetoDrive with SmartDial

DM51

Flashaholic
It's a brilliant idea that takes variable power control to the next level. :clap:

The light itself looks very cool too - I really like the cone/venturi shape of the head. :)

I hope the patent is more than just US only, I'd hate to see you lose out in the international market.
Agreed! :thumbsup:

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
And by the sounds should work for LED and Incan as well. Variable "analog" hotwire driver, wow.

Cheers,
Nova

wquiles

Flashaholic
I hope the patent is more than just US only, I'd hate to see you lose out in the international market.
Agreed! :thumbsup:
I am definitely covered in the USA, as I filed prior to revealing my invention here, but now that the information is in the public domain by this post, technically, no-one else can file in any other countries and claim they are the inventor, as this information is now available publicly to 100's/1000's of folks world-wide. Then again, not everyone follows rules nor have the same moral standards than most of us do ;)

It's a brilliant idea that takes variable power control to the next level. :clap:

The light itself looks very cool too - I really like the cone/venturi shape of the head. :)
Thank you. The cone idea came to me when I was done with the machining and put all of the parts together. With the OEM Mag head, the mule/prototype just did not screamed "custom" enough, plus the dial and rings in the middle had straight lines, so the head's curvaceous surface kind of looked out of place, so the idea came to me to try to give the head a straight cut, and the result is what you see here in the pictures :D

And by the sounds should work for LED and Incan as well. Variable "analog" hotwire driver, wow.
Yes, with an external MOSFET and a few discrete parts, you could use the MD controller board to provide dimming to an incandescent bulb. I have it in the code today to have an inverting output, so the PWM can work active LOW or active HIGH (I needed this for LED drives since different drivers have different PWM active modes). Of course, this would not be a "regulated" combo - it would still be a direct drive configuration, but you would have 0-100% dimming, and the same access to all 255 steps as in the LED case, depending on how fast you move the dial.

Will

BVH

Flashaholic
Just found this thread. And as Georges80 said, I too, thought I was in the machining forum, Will! What a great idea and can't wait to see the finished product!!

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
What a great idea, i much prefer having a variable output rather than clicking buttons for the desired output levels gives you exactly what you want.

I wish you much success with your design.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks much guys :eek:

I got some new lenses to try for my next prototype, so I am still working on the design stage. Since I am the programmer/designer/machinist/tester/etc., the process is unavoidably slow, but still moving forward :D

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yeah, but I bet you have no employee disciplinary issues nor contractor problems!
That is true. But I am also the HR department, so no-one gets paid until I say so :devil:

NICE!!

So wheres the sign up list :D
Thank you. No sign up list yet - a little early for that. I need to finish the second prototype. I will keep this thread updated :D

Will

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Will, threads and accomplishments like you just showed us remind me why I need to come read here more often. Just incredible....and this is going to also work for diving when you work out prototype issues? What diving depth are you striving for? WOW!!

wquiles

Flashaholic
:oops: Bit of server lag going on there I guess..... :whistle:
No Will is just trying to bump up his post count. :nana:
I already contacted an admin to delete the extra posts. Quite embarrassing as something happened with my browser and the CPF database since it keep timing out, and I just keep trying. I should had stopped and waited before trying again :(

Will, threads and accomplishments like you just showed us remind me why I need to come read here more often. Just incredible....and this is going to also work for diving when you work out prototype issues? What diving depth are you striving for? WOW!!
Thank you. Yes, the host that I am designing is a dive-rated host from day one: no push buttons of any kind, dual o-rings on the tailcap, and with a thicker lens (shooting for 1/4" thick lens)/o-rings up front to withstand actual diving use. Right now it will be built around the 26500 or 26650 cell size, so it would make a great main or backup light while diving. But I am planning on an even shorter version (basically head only) to that it can be used with a canister for longer dives, but that could also be used as a bike light (head separate from the battery pack).

There are a lot of great hosts out there, but with the MagnetoDrive board, I basically have to build a complete host around the driver board, and that will allow me to incorporate the selector ring. I first tried the simplest path, which was to use the Mag host, but there was not enough thickness to start with, so I am starting from a raw piece of Al tubing in the right ID/OD size. That is why coming up with the host is taking so long.

Will

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...awesome. Just amazing....I would love to own one of these....

Fantastic work Will