is this. for.. real..? the soldier and the sign?

Avix

Newly Enlightened
Re: is this. for.. real..? the soldier and the sig

Possibility: there are other military units in Iraq that do use the rank Lcpl (or variants). and one thing that does go on is the trading of uniform and kit.

personaly, I think it's fake, but that is just a gut feeling.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

it'd be very relieving to find that's the true version, Bob..

it mentioned it in bhds' article he posted too.

Avix

Newly Enlightened

ok, it's been 20 years (and in another country) where I did my Service. it is common for the marines to loose someone like the AP article claims? and does it strike anyone else as odd that they have completed an investigation of this and he faces disiplinary action but they don't know where he is?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Spokesman Capt. Jeffrey Pool said he could not discuss what, if any, punishment Boudreaux could face."

bhds

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
ok, it's been 20 years (and in another country) where I did my Service. it is common for the marines to loose someone like the AP article claims? and does it strike anyone else as odd that they have completed an investigation of this and he faces disiplinary action but they don't know where he is?

[/ QUOTE ]

The article stated that he is not on active duty

Avix

Newly Enlightened

still and all, how can you investigate something fully if you haven't talked to the supposed suspect? when I was in, we couldn't go out of town without letting higher ups know where just in case. maybe different procedures? there is just something about this that sounds funny (might possibly be the media getting it wrong again too for all we know)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

He's a reservist. He doesn't have to have a pass to go off post like you did back then. Even the active component has more leeway these days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif They'd have an idea of where he was then though. In the reserves, he could have gone on vacation and not told anybody as long as he was at his next drill.

kfasold

Newly Enlightened

The Smoking Gun website has a copy of a press release issued Monday from the Marine Forces Reserve PR office here.

LCpl Boudreaux alleges the picture shown / drifting about the web has been modified; NCIS has been called in to assist the Marine's in determining if it was modified & if so who did it.

(http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0419042iraq2.html)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a tempest in a toilet this whole thread has been.

Seems like the ones that whine and stamp their feet in indignation most loudly have never even been in the US Military, much less fought in combat.

I stand with Lance Corporal Boudreaux and fart in the general direction of all the Arabs and pantywaist Americans who excoriate him.

He went there and fought and came back and did it in the place of many millions of Americans who haven't earned the right to kiss his ***.

Sgt. B.C. Lynn
USMC 1969-72
1st Marine Division-RVN

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
What a tempest in a toilet this whole thread has been.

Seems like the ones that whine and stamp their feet in indignation most loudly have never even been in the US Military, much less fought in combat.

I stand with Lance Corporal Boudreaux and fart in the general direction of all the Arabs and pantywaist Americans who excoriate him.

He went there and fought and came back and did it in the place of many millions of Americans who haven't earned the right to kiss his ***.

Sgt. B.C. Lynn
USMC 1969-72
1st Marine Division-RVN

[/ QUOTE ]

Kudos Sgt. Lynn, from the son of a retired Gunnery Sgt. (1950-1970).

i believe that IF the pic were true, it would be in bad taste, and the guy should have to scrub a bathroom or something. however, i also believe that the amount of media play it has received is amazing.

this strikes me as incredibly imbalanced: a soldier ALLEGEDLY pulls a rude prank, and is scrutinized to the nth degree. people act as if the soldier has just murdered 100 pregnant women.

yet a murderer, torturer, rapist etc gets a 25 second sound bite on the news...and people screaming for leniency, and prisoner rights.

like i stated above: amazing.

and, if the man in the pic is (was?) found innocent, nobody will retract the accusation--the man will have to live with the stain of the accused.

IMO, (if faked) the pic was a deliberate smear against the American military by someone that dislikes America/Bush/the military/the war.
that person does not deserve the protection afforded by our great military, nor the citizenship of this great country.

Bob